Becoming suicidal

Sacrament

I'm more scared of worrying myself to death. Years and years of constant fear and stress can't be good for my health.

There are a few posters on here that have attempted to take their lives. I've seen one or two concerning posts from those saying they are at the point of making an attempt.

Imagine all the posters with similar thoughts who suddenly stopped posting.

SoScared

There was a time when I was suicidal. Matters were not helped by the collective doctrine driven establishment attitudes from those whom I had reached out to help me. I went there for help and they treated me like that? This poor treatment of those who seek help by those who give help is becoming a common theme despite all the talk that we are now a more caring and mental health aware society.

You're not the only one, it's just that the stigma attached to suicide is such that people tend to avoid discussing it.
^Exactly.

I have dealt with the desire to end my life on a monthly basis since I was a teenager. Did attempt to when I was younger but stuffed it up, twice. I am not scared of doing it one day as I have come to accept this. Though I am scared of trying again and it not working again though.

After so many years of trying many, many different ways to improve yourself and your life and having it all not work out, you get to a point where you are just waiting for the right time to do it (family wise).

Why are you "scared" of it, Zooman? Is there a particular reason why?

CrazyGirl

I've attempted it & failed obviously, otherwise wouldn't be here posting. The people I thought were my friends at the time, most all turned their backs on me wanting nothing to do with me anymore. So, I don't recommend trying it. If you have any thoughts, GO to the nearest E.R./or primary doctor or counselor/therapist

Yea

So I wrote some stuff below which I do or other people I know do which helps not just by providing a distraction short term but can also make life more enjoyable or improve quality of life. Some little things can make all the difference.

1 always sleep on it

2 go for a walk or a run

3***volunteer work***(this one in particular)

4 walk your dog or someone else's if you don't have a dog,

5 join a dog walking group ( I really love dogs so it goes on list twice)

6 spend time around animals, feed the ducks, go to the zoo etc

7 Do something in nature, mountain climbing or hiking, park, whatever is accessible.

8 go for a swim or to the gym, take a spin class or aerobics or something.

9 find a project to immerse self in- painting/writing/woodwork etc create something

10 pick up a book

11 find a sense of purpose everyday -have a to do list- (realistic one) then check things off as you get through them. Even if its just get the groceries, do the laundry, put the bins out.

12 Make some longer term goals and write them down. Something in life that you have always wanted to do. However big or small. (travelling, getting a degree, whatever it is)
Research it and figure out how/what you need,make a plan, write down all the steps you would need to take to achieve it. Invest yourself into making that happen.

13 buy a train ticket or a bus ticket and go see some nature, something, depending on where in the world you are. Visit something that's been here for a long time. Sightsee for the day.

14 chocolate

15 watch puppy videos on youtube

16 pottering around the garden, growing stuff or getting a little patch to grow stuff on...an allotment.

17 talk to someone, post on the forum, pick up the phone.

Ill keep thinkin and any other little things I think of I'll add later. Its not to trivialise- doing a bit of gardening won't fix everything but I've found that the best way I can cope with my own head sometimes is by just getting out of it.

Last edited:

Requiescat

It's been quite a rollercoaster ride the past four months. I had roughly 5 weeks of a high I hadn't had since 2004 and that has been quickly followed by the most intense low I have ever had. The past few weeks have been horrendous to say the least, punctuated by many long term issues. Suicide has never been something I thought would be on my mind irrespective of how bad things could be, how they have been, but there's only so much a person can take and I had more than enough a very long time ago. I honestly do not care anymore. Would I miss anything if I was gone? No. So it becomes a more alluring prospect to be done with it all. If things are imposed on you, it's comforting to know that you do have that element of control: you can pull the plug any time, and nobody can take that away from you.

Zooman

^Exactly.

I have dealt with the desire to end my life on a monthly basis since I was a teenager. Did attempt to when I was younger but stuffed it up, twice. I am not scared of doing it one day as I have come to accept this. Though I am scared of trying again and it not working again though.

After so many years of trying many, many different ways to improve yourself and your life and having it all not work out, you get to a point where you are just waiting for the right time to do it (family wise).

Why are you "scared" of it, Zooman? Is there a particular reason why?

Why am i scared? Because i really don't want to feel this way and the fact that i am scares me. It shows i'm out of control of my emotions and i think it is a natural instinct to want to live also so that's why i am scared. I want to believe things will get better someday, whether it is by some luck of me somehow breaking the cycle long enough to make my life better or hopefully science being able to help me sometime in the future. I know life has a lot to offer and i don't want to leave without experiencing it. I don't like the person my social anxiety makes me and i don't want my SA to win. Also I don't want to be the guy who kills himself. In all honesty suicide brings a lot of strong negative feelings to me like shame and disgust, etc... Also I am not religious so i don't want to give up what seems to be my only chance at life.

Last edited:

defiance

you're not alone. I am finding that the thought of wanting to die is becoming more common with me. Just last night I was wishing that I wouldn't wake up and I would just go peacefully in my sleep. This is just the way the anxious and depressed mind works unfortunately. I just don't see things getting better for me and it hurts. I cannot bring myself to actually going through with it at the moment given that it would hurt my mom too much and I just can't do that. But I have this feeling that a day may come where I can take it no more and actually go through with it. It's not fair that we weren't given a fair chance at life without this mental illness but that's the thing life isn't fair and that sucks. All i can say is hang on as long as you can. Maybe you'll find that light one day and be free. That's what I hope for all of us who deal with anxiety and depression from day to day.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
In reference to Kilojoule's list and particularly the animals, horses are particularly therapeutic as are dogs.

Yes, animals are hugely beneficial in fighting depression.

That is a good list by kilojoule, and ideally a few things to try to incorporate into one's lifestyle (esp if depressed/suicidal/etc). But it can be tricky when you're that far down, as there's no motivation to do anything, such as any of those.

I think the main reason we sink down to that level is due to our own mind, so perhaps we are seeking escape from ourselves? (or our "anxious and depressed mind" as mentioned by defiance above)