Be Interesting

ridicule

I guess this is more of one of those bloggy things than any kind of real dialogue, but I think it's something you all should know specifically.

We all want some positive interaction and some bonding with cool people. I say cool people because there are plenty of ill reputes who would listen to you and interact with you...... but not in the way you would want. I'm talking about the real people who earnestly care and are interesting and open, having things to say, that sort of thing. We want to hook those people, make them interested in us, find us as interesting as we find them, if for nothing more than human interaction we ultimately need. The thing to remember is the only people who have the potential to side with you and be with you against all odds are family. For the record, I'm not a family person at all, they just happen to share my genes, but without effort, they will stick by you, in more cases than complete strangers or even non-related friends. The thing to do is make yourself a more valuable commodity. And it's quite sick that we can't just be real with one another, that it sometimes must come down to this, but this is just the way we, as humans, are and we must deal with that.

The thing you have to do is to appeal to your audience, your people, the people who you want to like you. I'm not saying don't be yourself, but for these people held in such high regard (or even if you want to appeal to a certain type of person), you have to make that effort to make yourself interesting to them. Unless you're incredibly charming or attractive, you will need substance in what you say, on whatever interests the other person. I could throw out examples, but they would be far too broad and general to even resonate with most of you.

The #1 problem I see of lonely people is that they don't try hard enough, myself including. There are many times I want to interact with a specific person, but I don't know what to say and I don't want to bore them..... it becomes quite frustrating. Overall, if you want to get past the "hi"s and "how are you"s, you have to learn to appeal to that person and not hope that everything will be done for you.

I hope everyone gets my message, because if you do, you will make friends a lot easier with those you hold in high regard.

Remus

Staff member
Removed the bikering and insults, lets start again please, I don't want to have to ban anybody.

Back on topic

WantToHide

I think twiggle made a very good point. And not only does the person feel happy that you've taken an interest in them, it also takes the pressure off you. Because while they're talking about themselves, you don't have to do so much talking, so you don't have to suffer the anxiety of finding interesting things to say.

Anomaly

It eventually gets tiring when I have to initiate conversations every single time, so in that respect you are right: I am not trying "hard enough."

ridicule

It eventually gets tiring when I have to initiate conversations every single time, so in that respect you are right: I am not trying "hard enough."

I totally understand what you're talking about, if you're the one constantly making the effort, THEY are the ones who aren't giving the effort. I think if it's that continuous and always falls on you, it won't work out and you should just cut your losses before you become too invested.

B

Beatrice

Yes, but like many of these help posts, the question is "How?" I think there are two potential problems here; the first one is that many of us are too anxious to even approach someone at all. That would of course need to be dealt with first.

The second problem, as I see it, would be - as you've said - being interesting. Keeping the person engaged, wanting to know more about you or the topic, etc. But many of us lack this ability because of our anxiety.... or maybe we have anxiety because we lack this ability. I'm sure it's the former though, because most people who are reasonably intelligent could develop decent people skills I think.

So... how? How do we become more interesting?

Not specifically asking you, just thinking out loud really. What sorts of things do you say, how do you keep a conversation going, take it to another level, etc.?

B

Beatrice

I totally understand what you're talking about, if you're the one constantly making the effort, THEY are the ones who aren't giving the effort. I think if it's that continuous and always falls on you, it won't work out and you should just cut your losses before you become too invested.

Yup. I completely agree with this.

ridicule

Yes, but like many of these help posts, the question is "How?" I think there are two potential problems here; the first one is that many of us are too anxious to even approach someone at all. That would of course need to be dealt with first.

The second problem, as I see it, would be - as you've said - being interesting. Keeping the person engaged, wanting to know more about you or the topic, etc. But many of us lack this ability because of our anxiety.... or maybe we have anxiety because we lack this ability. I'm sure it's the former though, because most people who are reasonably intelligent could develop decent people skills I think.

So... how? How do we become more interesting?

Not specifically asking you, just thinking out loud really. What sorts of things do you say, how do you keep a conversation going, take it to another level, etc.?

I guess all I can think of in the moment is the interest. How interested you in that particular interaction. Oh and I guess another thing I forgot to mention is, when you talk to someone, putting yourself out on a limb is a risk, but you can't always discuss the weather all the time, know what I mean? Sometimes you will look like a fool and that's fine. Or sometimes, in my case, I seem a bit obsessive/stalkerish, and again, I think that's alright because it's part of the effort.

I guess let your guard down is my advice. And people love to talk about themselves so practice that reflective listening. You don't even really need to pay attention just catch the jist of a sentance they just came out with and rephrase it with a ? at the end. hahahaha That sounds worse than it is. I mean it just until you become comfortable to talk yourself. I do my version of reflective listening with people when I'm not comfortable around them and usually they end the conversation with "thanks for listening" and I won't have had a clue what I listened to, not a notion. I'll have been thinking about what to have for dinner.