Bdd

TheTemp

I wanna cure it, today. Exposure has made it a hell of a lot better. But I need sound advice, Buddha quotes, anything! To get these thoughts out of my head: does my face look okay? is it sending off the right signals? things like that.. i wanna fall in love, i wanna graduate university and get a career.. i wanna be a sucessful business woman. I can't be thinking about my face the whole time. I need advice, pronto! Falkor, I know you can relate so if you could give me any of your advice, I'd be more than grateful.

Hey Temp,

That's funny. Well the context isn't but that you mentioned my name. The funny part is, that I clicked on this topic straight ahead. it's like something above send me here...

I'm really really sorry what you are going through. Feeling like you can't escape from ugliness, It's a feeling which is unbearable when you are around people, or at work, school, or anything like that. Because they can all lay eyes on you, and you feel not worth their eyes, even worse than that. For my advice, what I tried, and what i'm still trying, is to maintain eye contact with people even though It is scary, try to smile, even though you feel ugly. Try to relax your tension, all the muscles, go jump or dance, and more deeper into details of BDD solutions, I would think writing the thoughts down could help, but not just only once, write them down, and think if they are really realistic. Go check upon them on SPW, specifically any thought. Or check it at relatives/friends, some thoughts are totally normal to society, this world is so full of .... wanting people to be a model, skinny, pretty, of course it's good to look healthy, but we shouldn't have those high expectations. But we, with BDD, are striving to look very well, because otherwise we cannot function. I think that's the trigger. We can't allow ourselves to walk out there and look ugly or better said ''A look we don't like from our view'' and we can obses about it, and we don't know how to stop it.

For me it always helps to get a new haircut, I do it quite often, because It makes me feel like a relief. But of course we shouldn't want to change the whole image we have now, we should live with it. So I would say, try to get some old jeans on, get a mustach and a strange hat (if you feel anxious) try to expose yourself to it. (Maybe not take on a mustach and make your hair a lil fuzzy and no make up..) what about that? Or just five minutes? And then build it up. Go hiking, with that look and don't pay attention to stares, try to smile all through it :) and then when you do it for an hour or so, you can try going to a supermarket ;)

And what about a CBT therapist? Have you tried any sort of therapy? And maybe you should look at yourself in the mirror and say what you find nice about yourself. Or ask other people, your friends/family what features they like best.

I know it's really hard... I can relate soo much,I had this ''Ugly feeling'' all day and I can't seem to shake it off. I'm thinking of a new haircut :p

And speaking of buddha, do you meditate? ;)

good luck ::(:

Edit:

You sound like a very ambitious woman, have a lot of goals, that's great, keep that in mind, don't let the BDD stop you or any social anxiety! I know it's hard, but go for it.... Or do it in little steps a time to get closer to each of your goals!

Falkor

Last edited:

bigcat1967

Before you start with the positive thinking, you have to stop with the negative thinking. What are you thinking right now? Is it negative? Then replace it with a positive thought.

Once you practice getting rid of negative thoughts - then write out positive affirmations. Keep practicing them. Nothing will happen over night - but it will eventually happen if you don't give up.

Good luck!