Bad doctors

aNOTfox

It's truly appalling to think that there is still a stigma attached to mental illness. I've heard quite a few people on say that they were even judged and discriminated by the people that are paid to help them: Doctors.

I haven't experienced this myself which is why I'm curious to hear of other peoples experiences of when they talked to their doctor about their social anxiety, OCD etc.

And if you haven't talked to your doctor yet, what sort of things put you off?

jaim38

I don't think my insurance covers mental health care, plus it's expensive to get professional help. I also have college to pay for. Not to mention I can't even afford my own clothes. So, I won't be seeing any doctor for a long time.

aNOTfox

I don't think my insurance covers mental health care, plus it's expensive to get professional help. I also have college to pay for. Not to mention I can't even afford my own clothes. So, I won't be seeing any doctor for a long time.

oh yeah, I forgot about the cost issue in the US...

AdamE

I self-harm, and once, only once, I had to go to the hospital to get stitched back together. That was horrible. Waiting for three hours wasn't a big deal, but doing so in a room which people kept walking through, with my bleeding arm exposed and noone ever closing the door behind them... That was pretty bad. The worst part was how, as soon as they realized that I was the one responsible for my injuries, everyone kept glaring at me, how their voices hardened and how they started asking questions about why I would do such a thing, which I didn't know how to answer.

I know that most doctors and nurses aren't that judgmental, but since then, no matter how badly I hurt myself, I'm just too afraid to seek medical help.

aNOTfox

I self-harm, and once, only once, I had to go to the hospital to get stitched back together. That was horrible. Waiting for three hours wasn't a big deal, but doing so in a room which people kept walking through, with my bleeding arm exposed and noone ever closing the door behind them... That was pretty bad. The worst part was how, as soon as they realized that I was the one responsible for my injuries, everyone kept glaring at me, how their voices hardened and how they started asking questions about why I would do such a thing, which I didn't know how to answer.

I know that most doctors and nurses aren't that judgmental, but since then, no matter how badly I hurt myself, I'm just too afraid to seek medical help.

My best friend went through the same thing. When giving her an injection, one of the doctors insultingly said "well if you able to do this to youself, a needle shouldn't be a problem"-not a very good bedside manner. The nurse evaluating her asked her questions like "do you listen to any 'dark music'?"- completely shallow stereotyping! honestly, some people are in the wrong job.

Last edited:

dean01

i had a lot of problems with the british national health service when trying to get diagnosed, to be honest at first i probably made things worse by not wanting to tell them the full story.
i never went to a doctor once in 14 years from the age of 15 till i was 29, i dont mind admitting i was affraid, scared of being judged.
when i was 29 i triigered bipolar and my world completely changed and i found that there was no way of hidding the madness i was going through. i went to my doctor and brokedown in tears and started to explain what i was going through, he stopped me as it wasnt his field of work. all that time and worry ide spent and he seemed uninterested. he said he would refer me to the local mental health clinic.
i waited 3 months before they contacted me with my fist appointment which was another 3 months away. i went to the appointment which was an assesment the nurse i spoke to said she was going to arrange one 2 one therapy for me and for me to go to another clinic. i waited for another 3 months for them to contact me but they never did so i contacted them and was told there was no record of any therapy for me.
i kept trying with the mental health clinic only to be told i wasnt worthy of treatment and things like, i should come back in a year because of the change in goverment.
i finally got to see a psychiatrist who without even lift his head to talk me diagnosed me with sa.
ide had enough of mucking about so i walked into hospital at 1 in the morning and tried to get them to admit me but they werent interested. it had been almost 2 years since i set out to get some help and nothing had changed, ide had no therapy nothing.
my life had become out of control due to my bipolar and my family had started to turn against me.
luckily my dad put the money up for me to go to a private clinic where i was correctly diagnosed and given medication. i spent a month in the clinic doing 6 hours of therapy a day and things are much better now.

Niceguy23

The first time I seeked professional help I told the doctor all the things i suffer from and made it clear I dont like being around people and been this way since childhood. He told me I need to go out and make friends and get a girlfriend and I should be good. I wanted to punch this guy in the face I thought about it for a second didnt want to go to jail so i just walked out on him and he was continuing to what I feel as verbally attack me. I was very angry and my anger made me speak up so i went to the boss and was given a new doctor. This doctor understands social phobia and will encourage me to push my self but will not flat out just tell me to stop being the way i am and just go out like its that easy

Niceguy23

I also see a therapist It is my second one the first one I felt uncomfortable and also felt she did not understand me and take me serious. So I simply asked for another one. Its all about trying people out give them a chance.

aNOTfox

i had a lot of problems with the british national health service when trying to get diagnosed, to be honest at first i probably made things worse by not wanting to tell them the full story.
i never went to a doctor once in 14 years from the age of 15 till i was 29, i dont mind admitting i was affraid, scared of being judged.
when i was 29 i triigered bipolar and my world completely changed and i found that there was no way of hidding the madness i was going through. i went to my doctor and brokedown in tears and started to explain what i was going through, he stopped me as it wasnt his field of work. all that time and worry ide spent and he seemed uninterested. he said he would refer me to the local mental health clinic.
i waited 3 months before they contacted me with my fist appointment which was another 3 months away. i went to the appointment which was an assesment the nurse i spoke to said she was going to arrange one 2 one therapy for me and for me to go to another clinic. i waited for another 3 months for them to contact me but they never did so i contacted them and was told there was no record of any therapy for me.
i kept trying with the mental health clinic only to be told i wasnt worthy of treatment and things like, i should come back in a year because of the change in goverment.
i finally got to see a psychiatrist who without even lift his head to talk me diagnosed me with sa.
ide had enough of mucking about so i walked into hospital at 1 in the morning and tried to get them to admit me but they werent interested. it had been almost 2 years since i set out to get some help and nothing had changed, ide had no therapy nothing.
my life had become out of control due to my bipolar and my family had started to turn against me.
luckily my dad put the money up for me to go to a private clinic where i was correctly diagnosed and given medication. i spent a month in the clinic doing 6 hours of therapy a day and things are much better now.

I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with the NHS. Its inspiring that you stayed strong through all the apathy of the doctors and got the help you needed.
It's important that no matter how helpless we feel, never to give up when seeking help.

AdamE

I also see a therapist It is my second one the first one I felt uncomfortable and also felt she did not understand me and take me serious. So I simply asked for another one. Its all about trying people out give them a chance.

I am very, very impressed that you did that! That takes strenght and courage, especially when one is suffering from social phobia.

aNOTfox

Yeah I agree, if you don't get the help you need from one, don't just put up with them. You owe it to yourself to get the best help you can.

Last edited: