Awkward feeling about going to the beach/pool with other people

HeadFace

Is it just me? Whenever someone invites me to hang out at someplace near water I feel like it'd be awkward.
One of the reasons is because I'm not the most skinniest ever.
Another is that I just dont know what I'd do at a pool with other people. I feel like it'd just be awkward to be swimming around or running around shirtless at a beach.
I guess this is pretty new to me. I've always been content with my weight. I have a good metabolism and I work out a few times a week, and I walk a lot.
So my friend invited me to hang out for his birthday on saturday, luckily only 2 hours of it or something is going to be at the pool. So I can just say I'm going to be late

Phoenixx

Parties that involve pools or swimming of some sort scare me more than regular parties (But both still make me feel awkward). Basically because 1) I suck at swimming. I'm like a rock, so deep water is a no. and 2) I'm really self-conscious anyway and wearing a bathing suit only makes me feel worse. So... yeah showing up "late" sounds like a good idea to me. ::p:

EnigmatiConduit

Yes I dread this! I really do avoid it all together. I am way too self conscious of my body so I just feel completely uncomfortable and uneasy, it isn't enjoyable thus not worth doing right now.

HeadFace

Parties that involve pools or swimming of some sort scare me more than regular parties (But both still make me feel awkward). Basically because 1) I suck at swimming. I'm like a rock, so deep water is a no. and 2) I'm really self-conscious anyway and wearing a bathing suit only makes me feel worse. So... yeah showing up "late" sounds like a good idea to me. ::p:

Some day maybe I'll conquer the "fear" of it!
But not this saturday. Lol.

But yeah. I'm "decent" or whatever at swimming. But I noticed that I'm so anxious about going into it now that I havent swam since two summers ago.
It's mostly just the thought of having to take my shirt off in front of everyone... |:

Phoenixx

Some day maybe I'll conquer the "fear" of it!
But not this saturday. Lol.

But yeah. I'm "decent" or whatever at swimming. But I noticed that I'm so anxious about going into it now that I havent swam since two summers ago.
It's mostly just the thought of having to take my shirt off in front of everyone... |:
Yeah I'll conquer the fear someday too, but not anytime soon. I haven't swam in like, 2-3 years now. Weird. It definitely doesn't get any easier the more you avoid it.

HeadFace

Yes I dread this! I really do avoid it all together. I am way too self conscious of my body so I just feel completely uncomfortable and uneasy, it isn't enjoyable thus not worth doing right now.

Yeah. I am a bit self conscious as of lately. It's odd.

MaliceInWickedland

I know how you feel... People tell me I'm skinny or have "nice curves" but even that doesn't serve to boost my low self esteem. I've lost a considerable amount of weight compared to what I used to be a few years ago, but even with that I'm still very insecure about my body and refuse to go to a public pool or beach with less than a tank top and shorts. I don't even feel comfortable wearing a tank top!! I'm not a very good swimmer either so that would just add to the awkward factor for me :/

Basically anything that involves wearing revealing clothing and being around a lot of people is not within my comfort zone and I'll immediately come up for an excuse not to go.

Paahi

I avoid it all together.
I like water but wouldn't know what to do at the beach with other people.

HeadFace

I avoid it all together.
I like water but wouldn't know what to do at the beach with other people.
Thats exactly how I feel. I really don't know what to do at the beach with other people.

Look at the bright side. At least people invite you somewhere, to hang out with them.
This is a good point. I don't get invited out that often. The person who invited my is one of the few people I don't feel shy/awkward around.
I never go to the beach or to a pool with others. I just wouldn't be able to enjoy myself at all. I would feel wayyyyy too insecure to wear a swimsuit. :/ In fact I don't even own one.
Yeah. For the longest time I didnt have any swimming shorts. But my mom bought me some -.- And I feel bad because I really dont want to use them at all.

Social_Monstrosity

I loathe the beach/pool, taking my shirt off will prove to be near impossible as long as other people are around. I wish I wasn't so insecure, it's seriously bothersome and, in my eyes, pathetic.