Away from religion Do you think that God can talk to you (literally)?

Saying there is no God is your opinion but you shouldn't state it as fact, you'll offend someone.

I can't say for certain that God can actually speak to you. I know it hasn't happened to me and in my opinion it would be a no but it's merely how much faith people put into it, I think. I mean, example wise, people can actually make themselves sick and physically ill if they wanted to. I think if someone felt they wanted the Lord to talk to them bad enough they could make it happen but to me it'd be something your mind creates for you, not the Lord actually speaking to you. But that's just my opinion. There are too many gray areas to actually answer this question to me.

People have been stating God is real on here - Why shouldn't he say 'GOD IS NOT REAL?' it's his truth, and he's showing commonsense. Most of our history for the last 2000 years is influenced by religion - suddenly people start becoming freethinkers, and we have to shut up?

Last edited:

Lorraine Manca

ramble alert, ignore this

if you want the judeo-christian perspective, there is a pattern where as time goes on in the Bible, god communicates directly with people less and less. if your athiest, who cares right? but if your christian id think itd be worth looking into. its really odd
heres a rough time line:

1. God "walks" in the garden and speaks fairly directly to adam and eve
2. He also "speaks" directly with Abraham and Moses. ( you can see God distancing himself during the moses stories, because of the "dont touch the mountain" rule
3. after that its mostly in dreams, never in real life
i think the last time god "speaks" is at the baptism of jesus

its fun to think of the christian god up in heaven, going "damn, they wont listen! speaking isnt working. i need to find a different way to communicate" and then look at the way things unfold. then you can imagine a spirituality that is based on more than words. that'd be neat because words are obviously an imperfect means to communicate.
a silent god is extremely more plausible than a chatty one anyway.

or of course the more boring explanation of god withdrawing himself over time would be that magical things are more possible in the distant past. whats the fun in that though!

Krista

People have been stating God is real on here - Why shouldn't he say 'GOD IS NOT REAL?' it's his truth, and he's showing commonsense. Most of our history for the last 2000 years is influenced by religion - suddenly people start becoming freethinkers, and we have to shut up?

I didn't mean for it to sound like that and I apologize if it did. I suppose no one could actually comment on this subject without personal opinion being a factor no matter how hard they try. I would say the same thing to someone who was stating God was real. I wasn't necessarily saying he was wrong in his thinking, although I assume you took it as that. I'm saying that unnecessary arguments(like the one I'm having with you now) can start from someone reading that and taking it offensively. He could have said "In my opinion..." but the way he stated it made it sound like that's it, there's no leeway after. That was my only point with that comment and there's no need to sound so defensive. Your opinion is your own, I wouldn't bash anyone for having one.

Is that how those arguments are won? Whoever yells louder?

Hey, I was empathizing "GOD IS NOT REAL." because someone tried to suggest he shouldn't say that, because it may offend somebody. It wasn't shouting - it's text, and doesn't require a voice. But hey, ain't you funny and clever for labeling it as shouting, you showed me. ::p:

Anomaly

Hey, I was empathizing "GOD IS NOT REAL." because someone tried to suggest he shouldn't say that, because it may offend somebody. It wasn't shouting - it's text, and doesn't require a voice. But hey, ain't you funny and clever for labeling it as shouting, you showed me. ::p:

Italics are generally used for emphasis while capitalization is interpreted as shouting.

My point was that both sides are ridiculous, as discussions usually erupt in shouting or the equivalent of shouting. Everything is stated as a fact, no positive argument is presented. It's not funny, it's annoying.

I know capitalization is interpreted as shouting, I wasn't too bothered about the style, it was more rhetorical if anything. Anyway, I don't want to get bogged down in word usage.

I'll agree with you about the argument being ridiculous, especially the topic-title. But he asked the question "Do you think that God can talk to you?" Who is he asking? I answered with my current belief; that I don't believe in God. Anyone else who finds that answer offensive, seriously needs to look at the title in greater detail. Of course not everyone will say they talk to God, some will circle the question using clever wordplay, and some will say they don't believe in God. It would be very naive to think that they wouldn't find something offensive in a thread about God. Myself, I'm used to debate, hate me for it if you will. Sorry if I have offended anyone, but that's my belief. People most be really proud of their beliefs, to post them on here for people to read, it must be a strong belief - so I don't see what they have to worry about. It's all healthy for the mind.

Last edited:

lunarla

Hm hm hm

"Whether or not there is any type of god, I'm not supposed to say. And today I don't really care. God is a word and the argument ends there. Oh, do I feel like the mother of the world - with two children fighting."

:)

I didn't mean for it to sound like that and I apologize if it did. I suppose no one could actually comment on this subject without personal opinion being a factor no matter how hard they try. I would say the same thing to someone who was stating God was real. I wasn't necessarily saying he was wrong in his thinking, although I assume you took it as that. I'm saying that unnecessary arguments(like the one I'm having with you now) can start from someone reading that and taking it offensively. He could have said "In my opinion..." but the way he stated it made it sound like that's it, there's no leeway after. That was my only point with that comment and there's no need to sound so defensive. Your opinion is your own, I wouldn't bash anyone for having one.

You don't have to apologize, that's your personal opinion, just as what I wrote back was mine. I don't want to argue; in fact I'm sick of the subject, I got tied down in two other threads - Thanks 'For Real' - ::p: so I kind of feel like I'm repeating myself too much. Yes, I am defensive about religion, mostly because of a few incidents in the past; long story. I wasn't trying to be rude, I'm a debater - partly thanks to my Grandmother. I'd just like to note, I am not offended by people's beliefs, but I will challenge them. You are free to attack my views any-day, I'm comfortable with them, and it will take some extraordinary evidence to have me believe. But, this is to the people who want to discuss the matter further, anyone with a sour face about the subject, don't need to view or reply here.

AMEN :p

Anomaly

But he asked the question "Do you think that God can talk to you?" Who is he asking? I answered with my current belief, that I don't believe in God.

Ah, that's where the confusion is. My response was directed at your post(s) and not necessarily the original post of the thread. However, it still pertains to the thread's subject.

Why shouldn't he say 'GOD IS NOT REAL?' it's his truth, and he's showing commonsense.

It is irritating when people state things which they haven't even attempted to prove as truth. But responding in the same fashion solves nothing and earns just as much respect as the first, which is none. Stating a "truth" that pertains only to oneself needs some sort of indication.

Myself, I'm used to debate, hate me for it if you will.
Debate should be encouraged, not bickering.

Last edited:

Lorraine Manca

My point was that both sides are ridiculous, as discussions usually erupt in shouting or the equivalent of shouting. Everything is stated as a fact, no positive argument is presented. It's not funny, it's annoying.

but if you're an annoying person! then you enjoy that kind of thing. arguments are rarely productive, but its fun to yell, sometimes people bring up stuff you've never thought of, or confuse you and make you think harder, sometimes you get to stump a person and thats fun, and you get to "think out loud" like jogging for the brain, but mostly its just fun to yell

Ah, that's where the confusion is. My response was directed at your post(s) and not necessarily the original post of the thread. However, it still pertains to the thread's subject.

It is irritating when people state things which they haven't even attempted to prove as truth. But responding in the same fashion solves nothing and earns just as much respect as the first, which is none. Stating a "truth" that pertains only to oneself needs some sort of indication.

Debate should be encouraged, not bickering.

You speak of 'Truth' but I don't see God, that's enough for me. Do you want to get into a ridicules and pointless argument, like you said?

but if you're an annoying person! then you enjoy that kind of thing. arguments are rarely productive, but its fun to yell, sometimes people bring up stuff you've never thought of, or confuse you and make you think harder, sometimes you get to stump a person and thats fun, and you get to "think out loud" like jogging for the brain, but mostly its just fun to yell

I only 'YELL' when I argue with the parents. As I said, I like debate, but I'm starting to run out of passion. And I ain't doing it on New Years Day, and the 2nd is my birthday. ::p:

Last edited:

Anomaly

Arguments (in the formal sense) aren't made to be productive, but are important nonetheless ::p:

Anomaly

You speak of 'Truth' but I don't see God, that's enough for me. Do you want to get into a ridicules and pointless argument, like you said?

I have trouble following your logic, so I'll provide an example.

"The government health care bill is a bad idea."
This statement does not stand on its own, as it speaks directly of the nature of the health care bill.

"The government health care bill, in my opinion, is a bad idea."
This statement stands on its own because it is the opinion of a certain individual. While support may be provided, it is only relevant to the belief of that individual and nothing else as it is.

Compare that with
No, of course not. And there is no god.

Last edited:
Right back at ya, you have me miffed - the sentences mean the same thing. You're taking it all out of context.

"The government health care bill is a bad idea." You could be saying this in your head, or matter-of-factly to somebody who agrees with your views. Where we come from, we don't bother with "In my opinion."

"In my opinion, the government health care bill is a bad idea."

"The government health care bill, in my opinion, is a bad idea."

"There is no Santa Claus." Is this the wrong thing to say?

"In my opinion, there is no Santa Claus." Just to be careful, don't want to offend anyone here.

Listen, the subject was God, not proper word usage, or how to construct a sentence. I think you're just quote mining now, trying to find loopholes in what I've said. Good luck with that. I haven't done that with anyone here.

Last edited:

lunarla

I agree, I don't think it's necessary to throw in "in my opinion" just for the sake of someone else. When writing an essay about a topic your not supposed to say "in my opinion" or "I think" or "I feel" anyway, really. At least, it's stronger without the use of those phrases. As it is coming from the person it should just be assumed it is their opinion. Just as someone saying "There is a god." It's the same thing.

Lorraine Manca

im gettin this sucker back on track

1. Because i have never heard a toaster talk...
2. Toasters do not talk

reasonable right?

1. Because I have never seen neptune before and nobody i know has seen it (say i skipped science in school and i dont watch the discovery channel, its possible)
2. Neptune doesnt exist.

1. Because I have never heard god speak and i do not know anyone who has heard god talk
2. god does not talk

a matter of data, and not having it

Krista

You don't have to apologize, that's your personal opinion, just as what I wrote back was mine. I don't want to argue; in fact I'm sick of the subject, I got tied down in two other threads - Thanks 'For Real' - ::p: so I kind of feel like I'm repeating myself too much. Yes, I am defensive about religion, mostly because of a few incidents in the past; long story. I wasn't trying to be rude, I'm a debater - partly thanks to my Grandmother. I'd just like to note, I am not offended by people's beliefs, but I will challenge them. You are free to attack my views any-day, I'm comfortable with them, and it will take some extraordinary evidence to have me believe. But, this is to the people who want to discuss the matter further, anyone with a sour face about the subject, don't need to view or reply here.

AMEN :p

I understand. I don't talk about religion with others either. It's a sticky situation to put yourself in and I don't like repeating myself on it. I wouldn't attack your views and I wasn't attacking his. I merely said that not because I believe in God or that I don't. Just that he made it sound like "God isn't real.", end of story. People might read that and get offended, I was just saying that's how some might take it. Not that that's my personal belief. I'll retire from this subject after this, just thought I'd make my point more clear.