Avoidant personality disorder.

Helmaninquiel

I think I might have avoidant personality disorter. I've looked it up many times and it matches my personality prefectly. Since I've been on anti depressants it has improved majorly but if I go off then I'm back to square one. But although I'm on meds it still doesn't do me justice completely I have recently been in school to get my grade twelve and I have a hard time making friends with anyone. I'll some what talk to people but that's as far as it goes, I like to keep them at a safe distance. You can tell that my teacher worries about me but I can't help it, even if I put the effort in it ends up the same. Me isolated and alone. I have recently not been going, I just feel stuck.

planemo

This is just a brief description i took from a mental health website...

Symptoms
Some common signs of avoidant personality disorder include:
Easily hurt by criticism or disapproval
Has no close friends
Reluctant to become involved with people
Avoids activities or occupations that involve contact with others
Shy in social situations out of fear of doing something wrong
Exaggerates potential difficulties

Causes
The cause of avoidant personality disorder is unknown. People with avoidant personality disorder form relationships with others only if they believe they will not be rejected. They are preoccupied with their own shortcomings. Loss and rejection are so painful that these individuals will choose loneliness rather than risk trying to connect with others.

I fit pretty much all of the above especially being preoccupied with own shortcomings and imperfections. I really feel that I need to be "perfect" in order for people just to tolerate me. Even though i long for friendships, companionship I'd rather live as a loner since i guard myself from all sorts of perceived rejection. I am too sensitive and I can't deal with any negative evaluation or criticism. So yeah, I just drift along being completely alone. i think though that I had these tendencies from very young, but I do know that diagnosing children with personality disorders is usually frowned upon.

completing your grade 12 will be a huge boost to self esteem so please try your best to complete it. i know how tough being shy and insecure can be around "normal" people, but if you persevere you will get there in the end. :)

Just looked it up and that is how I am. The wikipedia article used the phrase "socially inept". Haha, I actually use that phrase when I think about my social abilities.

laure15

I think I fit the description too, as do many of my family members. Thanks for posting this, now I know the name of the disorder.

Metal_isthe_Answer

these individuals will choose loneliness rather than risk trying to connect with others.

There is no better description of me than this