Avoidance

AsHLeY

Even if I have no trouble at all talking to somebody I work with about any topics (not just work) - as soon as I see them outside of the work environment... like at the store or something, my initial reaction is to avoid being in their line of sight, for fear of making conversation. It's weird because I feel as though I could talk to them all day AT work... but anywhere else, I freeze up and feel like I dunno what in the world to say to them. Does anyone else have this problem??
[And the same thing applies to people I used to be good friends with in highschool]

I can relate. If I see someone I know from work or maybe teachers that know me from my kids' school, I freak out and try not to let them see me. Sometimes it's because I'm thinking "Oh no, what do I say... I won't be able to think of anything besides 'Hi,'" or sometimes it's because I just don't feel like talking, or I'm in a hurry and I'm afraid they'll try to talk to me for too long and I'll feel rude cutting off the conversation.

jhanniffy

this happened with me and a friend from school last year. In school we could mess about and talk forever but when we'd plan to met outside of school it was horrible and we'd have nothing to talk about or do!!!

nopark

This always happens to me. If I talk to someone on my own terms -- at school (well I haven't been in school for a few years), at a party etc. But just running into someone in a store or something feels like an ambush.