Attacks from watching TV?

Queen_Regnant

I never had issues with watching shows or movies when I was younger, but in the last few years, I can barely watch anything on the television without having a full blown panic attack. I can only watch children's movies (after reading everything I possibly can to already know what is happening), movies/shows that I am already familiar with and know by heart and then comedy.. but even the latter can be a bit iffy.

I can't handle any form of suspense. If I don't know what is going to happen, I get an overwhelming feeling of pure fear and dread and soon become physically sick. I literally will upchuck. Example, the television series The Walking Dead - zombies aren't my cup of tea, but I'm still interested in watching it since people seem to have gone nuts over it..

I literally can't watch it for more then 5 seconds at a time. Even though I know exactly what will be happening, I'll end up throwing up if I don't turn it off. This happens with less dramatic/gory as well. I've realized I just can't handle the feeling of suspense.

I've given up on trying as all my attempts to ease myself into comfortably watching new things have failed horrible. Any company that comes over is stuck with watching The Golden Girls. :ironicsmile:

MotherWolff

Banned
I never had issues with watching shows or movies when I was younger, but in the last few years, I can barely watch anything on the television without having a full blown panic attack. I can only watch children's movies (after reading everything I possibly can to already know what is happening), movies/shows that I am already familiar with and know by heart and then comedy.. but even the latter can be a bit iffy.

I can't handle any form of suspense. If I don't know what is going to happen, I get an overwhelming feeling of pure fear and dread and soon become physically sick. I literally will upchuck. Example, the television series The Walking Dead - zombies aren't my cup of tea, but I'm still interested in watching it since people seem to have gone nuts over it..

I literally can't watch it for more then 5 seconds at a time. Even though I know exactly what will be happening, I'll end up throwing up if I don't turn it off. This happens with less dramatic/gory as well. I've realized I just can't handle the feeling of suspense.

I've given up on trying as all my attempts to ease myself into comfortably watching new things have failed horrible. Any company that comes over is stuck with watching The Golden Girls. :ironicsmile:

I have a simple solution: TURN IT OFF!:)

Diend

i actually have a similar condition to a less degree. i felt so nervous watching american sniper so i just watch children's movies. just don't watch movies

Deco

I just can't watch TV like I used to do, not anymore. The programming these days is horrible. I used to watch many TV shows and documentary channels like Discovery or Nat Geo.
I will only watch some parts of the nightly news or a soccer match. I find YouTube and some websites with the content I prefer to be much better. Less violence and no brainwashing .

I'll never forget when I watched Blood Diammond, Gladiator and Saving Private Ryan. I was shocked when People were actually laughing at all the gore.

Last edited:

Xervello

Any company that comes over is stuck with watching The Golden Girls. :ironicsmile:

Sounds like heaven to me. :thumbup:

Out of curiosity, did you have anything traumatic happen to you while watching television, either recently or perhaps in the past that you've just remembered?

Queen_Regnant

Sounds like heaven to me. :thumbup:

Out of curiosity, did you have anything traumatic happen to you while watching television, either recently or perhaps in the past that you've just remembered?

No, I haven't. I'm not real sure what is causing this. It is the same with some things on the internet too, such as videos, but it's not nearly as bad. I do have a problem with trying new things - music. I am for some reason fearful of new things and avoid them like the plague.

I do love me some Golden Girls though. I own the whole series. :blushing:

Sacrament

You have to detach yourself from the contents on the TV, knowing full well that it's fiction. See it as entertainment without negative consequences, and just enjoy the show for what it is (if you like the genre and etc, of course).