Argh!!!! I'm so angry!

FriendlyShadow

I posted on another forum about my social anxiety issues and these were some of the comments i got.

"Be confident."

"Pick your head up and quit being so shy. Sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt you...unless you let them. Quit worrying about who likes you and who doesn't."

"Nobody wants to see people walking around with a grin on their face, but you are the opposite extreme, walking around with your head down. Don't you understand that there is a MIDDLE way? Hold your head up, smile a little now and then, say hello to people. That's all it takes.

Remember, being selfconscious, shy and awkward is RUDE."

F*cking hell!!!!! I HATE the fact that social anxiety is STILL so unheard of and that people are so ignorant! Oh! I'll just STOP feeling anxious! Silly me! Why didn't i think of that?!!!! :kickingmyself::kickingmyself::kickingmyself:

I definitely understand where you're coming from, Smilemore. These people aren't actually offering you some useful and motivational advice, but more they rather express their advice in the most naive and perhaps, egotistical ways. They only think their advice is the correct and it probably might be because others have been saying these things too much. I think it has been going on for too long now and getting old. The people who replied to your post are pretty much close minded with what they said to you.

"Remember, being selfconscious, shy and awkward is RUDE."

And who said it was rude, might I ask? The narcissistic, judging loud mouths in this world? I guess that's the opposite of rudeness, that's the only way to buy respect from others, that's the only way people will love you for. Being shy and awkward doesn't make you rude, that's just how you are. Does this person know that those two things don't connect with each other or was he confusing being loud with shyness? What does shyness have to do with rudeness? Being loud and judgemental IS being rude. Not the other way around. Whoever said that to you, is an idiot

Last edited:

SmileMore

Something like this is what would make me feel better.

Hey-you-yes-you-Stop-being-unhappy-with-yourself-You-are-perfect.jpg

Remember, being selfconscious, shy and awkward is RUDE."
^This attitude helps to explain why we quiet people get treated with such contempt.:thumbdown:

I am starting to not get surprised by the high level of ignorance about SA the general population has. What I don't understand is why the media/tv etc does not report about it that much.:question: I mean why do psychologists not do many interviews, or write specific articles about it for the main stream media.:eek:h:

Zackarydoo

^This attitude helps to explain why we quiet people get treated with such contempt.:thumbdown:

I am starting to not get surprised by the high level of ignorance about SA the general population has. What I don't understand is why the media/tv etc does not report about it that much.:question: I mean why do psychologists not do many interviews, or write specific articles about it for the main stream media.:eek:h:

Too right. :applause: I only realised I had an actual "condition" that had a name a few years ago, and I'm 44. I was so angry that nobody ever helped me realise that I was suffering from something like many others do! I remember that moment when I read something on the Internet about someone else finding things different like phone calls, meeting people in the street, etc.. I thought it was just me being weird and I was the only one in the world. Then I read whatever it was, and it led me to the SAUK forums where it was full of "weirdos" just like me! I actually felt I had people to speak to finally (not that anyone spoke to me, but that's not the point).