Are you unable to work because of your AvPD?

I can't handle having a job because of my AvPD issues. I haven't worked in a very long time. The longest I stayed at one job was 10 consecutive months.

Is anybody else here unable to get / hold / cope with having a job?

Ursula

Hi there. I haven't had a job for many years as my severe s.p. makes it really impossible for me to cope with group situations. Luckily I get sickness benefit at the moment but I don't know how long this will contin ue as the government are threatening to remove my safety net. I became really depressed when I last had a job and it's taken me the last 12 years to recover!

ucdom

I'm lucky in the sense that I'm able to work from home much of the time - I can go for a couple of weeks without going to my office. Sometimes I have intense feelings of being hated and unwanted by my office colleagues, and this precipitates a period of stopping at home, not speaking to anyone at all. And people I work with largely are oblivious and couldn't care less.

LUMINOUS

sometimes I get a lucky streak and can handle a job for about a year, or less than a year-- then I quit basically. then for a year or half a year I won't have a job. I try to ignore life and do so for a while. I need to get a job again.. but now it's hard to even think of going for an interview or think of working someone around people, it stresses me out so much, I can't believe it.

Schmoo

My longest job was 3 years, which I was really proud of. It's sooo hard to make it stick with this disorder (well duh, avoiding??). I excel at quitting.

starfish

the only job I've had lasted 4 months. It was cleaning hotel rooms. Before that I interviewed for 2 retail jobs, and although I had a lot of relevant volunteer experience on my resume, they both commented that I was too nervous.

ljwwriter

starfish said:
the only job I've had lasted 4 months. It was cleaning hotel rooms. Before that I interviewed for 2 retail jobs, and although I had a lot of relevant volunteer experience on my resume, they both commented that I was too nervous.

Wow, that would be an awful comment to see. The job I've had the longest only lasted 4 months as well, and they were a quite nightmarish 4 months. I've actually interviewed at a number of places and gotten the jobs, but I'd chicken out at the last minute and never return to the places after orientation.
There have been a few places I've interviewed at which I know didn't bother calling me back because I seemed too socially awkward. Of course they were in retail. But retail does mean being a salesperson and being a good salesperson means having good social skills. So I can't blame them for not wanting to hire me. It would be a risk, after all.

Rodox

Longest job was 5 years,3 years I was "good" after that some jerk type of guys(the kind that cant go without teasing someone,think they own the planet) got a job there aswell then it became hell to me
Interviews are hell I shake,Stutter,blush and etc,been turned down for that,said that I had no confidence in myself,I am lucky some were really needing someone immediately,thats why I got the jobs I had/have.

markaudette

My longest job was 7 months.

I've been on SSI (diability) for the last 6 years or so and I will be forced to return to work soon because my soon-to-be-wife's salary will bump me out of the income limit your spouse is allowed while on SSI. And I've got to be honest - it's scaring the HELL out of me. The last job I had was in 1997.

11 years ago.

2Crowded

Ya....I have found it real tough for a long long time.....I am hoping to end my jobless streak in the near future.....even if it is just something part time....I need & want to start somewhere...but that process really really sucks...obviously or I would have had some kind of job already. I am a work in progress though...I think I have come real far in the last year or two as far as improving myself phiscaly & mentaly...my confidence is at a higher level than its been in a long long time...but at same time I know it is going to be just as hard as always to make that next step when I am finally ready to try it again.

Azahara

Answer

Yes, I was able to job but it have been stopped sometimes ´cos I fall depressed. My job is very stressed but I like it very much. I teach children. It seems in spite of my avoidant personality disorder, children give me strenght.
After a spychological therapy I work I begin to work with lot streght. Classes with children help me forget my problems ´cos I´m very concenrated in them and I really enjoy. Then little by little, one day stop coming back home by car with my work parnerts, another day I stop having lunch with them, or having a coffee. I prefer to be alone because of my fears to be judge. In my class I feel sure but in relation my work partners I was more nervous. My voice is each time lower. I only said to them "Good morning". and that´s all.
This fact leads me to a repeated depressions.

Strenght and honor!
Bye, bye!

HH

I've been in work for almost 4 years now-which is good. The first year or so after graduating from uni was difficult. I've managed to stick with my full time job even though I've gone through some rough patches working there-I've wanted to quit many times and tell them where to shove it.

Some days I don't want to talk to anyone-just want to get on with my work. Which usually results in people asking if I'm okay, why am I quiet etc, etc.

Are you trying to say that you've actually had a job before?

I've never had a job before. I'm not positive that I have APD but I just read about it and almost everything that's wrong with me is listed there.

I tried to get a job a couple of times when I was in high school but I know they were looking for someone with some kind of experience and I was too new and had no clue what to do. They never honestly considered hiring me either, I could tell. I know I didn't communicate any enthusiasm to them. That coupled with my unfriendly demeanor (which I have had for a long time) probably didn't help me out at all.

zeddi

markaudette said:
My longest job was 7 months.

I've been on SSI (diability) for the last 6 years or so and I will be forced to return to work soon because my soon-to-be-wife's salary will bump me out of the income limit your spouse is allowed while on SSI. And I've got to be honest - it's scaring the HELL out of me. The last job I had was in 1997.

11 years ago.
What is the allowance that your spouse is allowed to make for you to qualify for SSI? I have been thinking of trying to get on SSI. I have been suffering from agoraphobia for 7 years and can only work from home, which limits me to one job that is only 10 hours a week. I make very little and could use more income.
Thanks
Gina

KaileyQuicK

Yes. I am 16 and I have been homeschooled since I was 12. When I am older, I refuse to work anywhere near food. I cant eat in public because of the Social Phobia =[

lyricalliaisons

I've never had a job before in my life (I'm 26, 27 in January) because of my life-long fear of being around/socializing with people. For years, I couldn't even leave the house. I've been getting help since September of '07, & have been going to a place that's been trying to help me find a job since around this time last year, but I still haven't found one because of my lack of experience. I haven't even gotten a call-back or an interview. We are in dire need of money. It's just me & my disabled mother in the home & all we have is the money she gets from S.S.I., which is very, very little.

The help I've been getting has helped in a lot of ways, but has done nothing for my social issues. I'm terrified of getting a job & at this rate & in this economy, in this town, it seems as though I'm never going to get one. I don't think I could handle a job. I've been getting so much help that they're even helping me with school & I'll begin in January. I worry I won't be deal with it. I'm afraid it'll all be too overwhelming & I'll quit or something.

My therapist suggested that I go on S.S.I. & I told her "No," that I don't want to become one of those people. Everyone who knows me already thinks so badly of me as it is, & I don't want to make things even worse. She told me that no one needs to know & eventually she convinced me to do it. She says there's really no way I'll be turned down. I worry, though, that they'll see the fact that I'm starting school & be like, "Well, if she can go to school, she can surely get a job." If I actually am approved, though, I'm only doing it until I find a job & am sure I can keep it, then giving it up immediately (the S.S.I., not the job).

The problem is, she was sending my case over to someone who could help me through the whole application process. She said the person would call me within a week, but I never heard a thing from them. The last time I saw my counselor, she must have forgotten the fact that she put in the request because, while I was telling her about all our money problems & overdue bills, she asked why I don't apply for benefits. I didn't bring it up. I was too afraid to (that's just how I am, I'm afraid to ever bring things) up). So now, I don't know what to do.

We can't go on living this way, my hopes of finding a job seem non-existent, & getting government assistance is my only option. But I'm too afraid to start the whole thing myself. I don't know what to do. I was looking on the SSA website & the whole process just seems far too daunting. I'd mess something up & get denied if I tried it myself. I hope I can gain the courage to say something to her about it. Because of the holiday, she's on vacation, & I don't see her again until Dec. 10. I hope I can bring something up. We need money more than anything & I can't do it by myself. I doubt I'll be able to bring it up, though. I'll be too scared. So I don't know what to do.

Sorry for the long message lol, & if it was a little off-topic. :oops: