Are you kidding me now?????

Thelema

It does seem a little out there.

There's all sorts of things that can go wrong and skew study results. I'd want to see it peer reviewed.

MikeyC

"Researchers at the University of Minnesota played different styles of music to 138 students for seven minutes. They were then told to work out how funds should be distributed through the university between different ethnic groups, according to NME."

The two are so unrelated it's almost comical. Also 138 students is barely enough to know for sure.

I listen to heavy metal music myself, so therefore I'm psychotically violent and I'm more likely to own a parakeet instead of a budgie in my twilight years. It's true - studies show it!

Feathers

lol I think Ultimate-Guitar.com is not a really reliable scientific magazine hm? :)

Someone on another forum actually said she studied how to disprove any study!! (so apparently it can be done??) :)

I think SOME rock music can be iffy - eg some videos can be degrading to women, or some lyrics can be iffy too... (in rap and some other genres too!!)

Interestingly, I don't really like Bruce Springsteen and The White Stripes (don't know much of their music anyway, and don't know the others either).

How is Gwen Stefani not rock?? lol!! (Okay maybe I prove the study right? lol!)
A lot of people have misunderstood Springsteen too (?)

I do agree about music having power over influencing our thoughts, feelings and actions...

I LOVE some of the comments over there too haha!!

WhoAMEye wrote on 03/07/2012 - 08:17 am / quote |
What utter tosh!

next they will say that hip hop turns you to drugs and guns

classical music will make you more cultured

Dance music will rot your brains

and country music will make your sister more attractive...

oh wait..

and
Salvo416 wrote on 03/07/2012 - 09:46 am / quote |
It's so ironic because blacks are the ones who started rock. (Chuck Berry)
LOL!

BluDays, bonus points - I agree :)

Interesting discussion tho :)
I think that SOME artists (in different genres) may have more 'racist' listeners (depends on their 'message'!!)

MikeyC

yes rap and hip hop most DEF!
Absolutely. You look at this one rapper with 10 bikini-clad girls and you think, "this can't be what it's normally like!"

I've seen a couple of heavy metal videos like that, too. It's not good.

Feathers

lol I think rap is probably worse, and (most?) metal too (I don't know metal that well...)

I think Bitch! by Meredith Brooks is not degrading to women, more like empowering hehe
(I posted it in another thread - Gunman's journal lol)

Some hiphop videos can be okay (I'm talking European hiphop now, I posted some videos elsewhere on the forums too!!)

Apparently there was also a study that said more popular songs (and videos?) were degrading than non-degrading (?) Degrading and Non-Degrading Sex in Popular Music: A Content Analysis (I hope it's okay to post since this was research?)
They didn't study by genres, I wonder if there were any follow up studies? :)

MikeyC

The degradation of women is not confined to music videos, too.

But that's really going off the main point of this thread.