Are you in fight or flight?

Kato

I just realized I put myself into a severe fight or flight response. I was fine yesterday morning but then began having increasingly severe doubts about myself. My correlation between the increasing doubt and onset of a flight response are dead on.

I was wondering if you know when you are in one or the other states?

Confuseddd

that makes since. i think thats why im on edge during social interaction because i feel like i need to either fight or flight. Usually i flight :/ i am trying to understand these feelings more so i can notice when its happening and maybe stop it. thats my goal for now after i have accomplished that i will move on to getting rid of the feelings completely. i have come a long way from about a year ago

Kato

that makes since. i think thats why im on edge during social interaction because i feel like i need to either fight or flight. Usually i flight :/ i am trying to understand these feelings more so i can notice when its happening and maybe stop it. thats my goal for now after i have accomplished that i will move on to getting rid of the feelings completely. i have come a long way from about a year ago

I may abate such feelings but I am not sure if I could ever rid them.
I am being a bit pessimistic about my growth. I think I will just ignore those thoughts for now.

Yeah.. I think what a couple of therapists seeded in my head are germinating. They told me too stop resisting the fight and just go through it. In fact they told me to just go through whatever it is that is causing the feelings. The only way through, is through.

It is very hard to hear. I do this all the time and I still come back to square one, flight. It is intense feelings!

I feel I am rambling on.

Last edited:

Kato

Fight or freeze depending on the situation.

I completely forgot about freeze. lOl That was about to happen to me when I attended a class about speaking in front of crowds. I expected we would discuss the idea more but instead they planed on us practicing. I got up and left right away. I feel terrible about it now but I didn't want to be exposed as scared.

EscapeArtist

I am working on fighting things... but not specifically outside exposure. I am working on fighting the things that I am afraid of in and about myself first.. if that makes sense.

Danfalc

Banned
I've had a few therapists say anxiety is like the fight or flight reflex.I kind of agree..I guess we perceive social situations as dangerous and that kicks the flight or fight response off.I do think it's something we go through but it's not as simple as therapist make it out to be.

Though anxiety is horrible,unlike a real fight/opponent..you don't have anything to physically fight.A real life fight is kind of horrible and very nerve wracking before hand..but once in the fight,your too busy concentrating and putting the adrenaline to use.Where with anxiety..if you choose to stand and fight,you have no way to release that nervous energy and you kind of carry it around with you.

I also think fighting against the thoughts we get just ends up draining us and is why we feel so drained after some situations.It seems to give them (the negative thoughts) more power over us.Anyway sorry for the rammble..::eek::

Kato

I am working on fighting things... but not specifically outside exposure. I am working on fighting the things that I am afraid of in and about myself first.. if that makes sense.

My newest therapist has suggested exposure to my worst fears.
I don't look forward to this but will give her plan a chance.

Kato

I've had a few therapists say anxiety is like the fight or flight reflex.I kind of agree..I guess we perceive social situations as dangerous and that kicks the flight or fight response off.I do think it's something we go through but it's not as simple as therapist make it out to be.

Though anxiety is horrible,unlike a real fight/opponent..you don't have anything to physically fight.A real life fight is kind of horrible and very nerve wracking before hand..but once in the fight,your too busy concentrating and putting the adrenaline to use.Where with anxiety..if you choose to stand and fight,you have no way to release that nervous energy and you kind of carry it around with you.

I also think fighting against the thoughts we get just ends up draining us and is why we feel so drained after some situations.It seems to give them (the negative thoughts) more power over us.Anyway sorry for the rammble..::eek::

I have tried to explain my troubles to many around me and asked them (including my therapist) to imagine if they were putting so much energy into doing simple emotional reactions into fear, wouldn't they be more exhausted. Surprizingly to me, only a few get it. Even after carefully explaining details.

Fact....Some just cannot get it.

Danfalc

Banned
Fact....Some just cannot get it.

Yeah.Unless you have physically experienced it yourself..well no amount of studying textbooks can really make up for that.I find c.b.t to be really helpful but me and my therapist clash over some things because he simply doesn't get it.

It's not me being awkward or stubborn,but some things are hard to explain, especially if someone already believes themselves to be an expert on the topic.

Kato

Yeah.Unless you have physically experienced it yourself..well no amount of studying textbooks can really make up for that.I find c.b.t to be really helpful but me and my therapist clash over some things because he simply doesn't get it.

It's not me being awkward or stubborn,but some things are hard to explain, especially if someone already believes themselves to be an expert on the topic.

Exactly what I think. I am so shocked at some reactions. I don't think that way about them. They might get afraid if someone gets an angry reaction from someone and always reverted to fear. Maybe it pushes their buttons and or they want to be ignorant. I don't know but it makes me feel criticized when someone questions me that way.