Are we tougher people?

ricksljf5

Do you believe that we are tougher people in the sense that we can have more personal things to deal with, such as loneliness, depression and other things, as opposed to a non-anxious person that feels very secure with their groups of friends?

bleach

Banned
Nope, we are weaker, more prone to be hurt by personal criticism or rejection, and less secure by far.

I don't think so. You never know how a non-anxious person feels, for all you know they could be very anxious, and just be very good at hiding it. We are definitely more sensetive than I think most people.

RedRibbons

I think that because we are more sensitive and receptive to things we are prone to self-analysis.. And through self-analysis we become more aware of ourselves. With this awareness we become stronger people. I also believe this strengthens our understanding of other people and enables us to be more sensitive to others needs and feelings. I think with such anxiety.. Even though it might not be all helpful.. It allows us to stop and 'smell the roses' and gain a deeper understanding of who we are in this world. Perhaps not everyone looks at anxiety as a challenge to overcome, or a journey for self-discovery though.

lol that is only just a small idea of a lot of things - so it's not anywhere near a complete thought.

recluse

I think in a sense we are stronger. For example a non anxious 'normal' person can go about their daily business such as going to work with no bother, whereas an anxious person has to put ten times more effort to do things. It takes balls for an anxious person to keep going.

I think we're all forgetting that even people who are outgoing and have tons of friends and seem really happy all the time can be really hurting inside and suffering for reasons that we don't even understand. We all have problems and I don't think we're any tougher than any other people..

bletch

RedRibbons said:
I think that because we are more sensitive and receptive to things we are prone to self-analysis.. And through self-analysis we become more aware of ourselves. With this awareness we become stronger people. I also believe this strengthens our understanding of other people and enables us to be more sensitive to others needs and feelings. I think with such anxiety.. Even though it might not be all helpful.. It allows us to stop and 'smell the roses' and gain a deeper understanding of who we are in this world. Perhaps not everyone looks at anxiety as a challenge to overcome, or a journey for self-discovery though.

lol that is only just a small idea of a lot of things - so it's not anywhere near a complete thought.

Given that SA and depression are rarely if ever found apart in the same individual, I think these qualities and "stopping to smell the roses" is unhealthy and unnatural.

RedRibbons

You can think what you want.. No one said you can't, you don't need to quote me to state your own opinion though.

Blackmagic479

I don't think we are "tougher" or stronger people for having social disorders. The fact that we struggle everyday to try to act "normal" says to me that we are weak people. We don't have bigger problems than others, we just can't deal with it as well as others.

lonely_world

Yes and no. Yes we are prone to major depression and lonliness, but no because we let our fear run our lives, that's the problem with every shy person.