Are there are Irish on here in their 30's?

Seabreeze

...............or are ye all young things :D

It really seems to be all young students who have "SA/Social Phobia"
from going through most of the threads ::(:

The Observer

Yeah lots are.....I'm only 25 so a few years off the 30 mark yet. Feel free to chat with me though if ya want.

The Observer

Thats it :) I've been blessed with young looks meself :D I'm 25 now but look about 20. How you finding the site then? Has it been of any help to you yet? I used to be on here a few years ago but got over my SA on my own. I just came back to offer some help and support to those who want it.

Seabreeze

Thats it :) I've been blessed with young looks meself :D I'm 25 now but look about 20. How you finding the site then? Has it been of any help to you yet? I used to be on here a few years ago but got over my SA on my own. I just came back to offer some help and support to those who want it.

I was on here myself but didn't post that much. I hung out on "Living Anxious" for a while but I also have made huge strides with my SA. Got a job etc and didn't really lock myself away in my bedroom.
I still have it.I still avoid certain situations eg my work canteen..havn't ben in there for years though I socialize grand on the factory floor....I just have a huge thing in my head now about going in......I would really love to ::(:

The Observer

Thats deadly! Congrats on getting this far :)

If I was you now after getting a job and making great progress with my SA, eating in the canteen would be the ultimate thing I'd have to do to overcome the SA. After doing all that work on my own I'd owe it to myself to push just that little bit more and for me to hold my head up high and say to myself "I did it, I overcame my SA!" :)

Seabreeze

Thats deadly! Congrats on getting this far :)

If I was you now after getting a job and making great progress with my SA, eating in the canteen would be the ultimate thing I'd have to do to overcome the SA. After doing all that work on my own I'd owe it to myself to push just that little bit more and for me to hold my head up high and say to myself "I did it, I overcame my SA!" :)

Prob easier said then done. I'm 10 years this year in my job (work part-time). Could have got a full time position many times but felt if I took a full time job I would increase my anxiety levels. It's a very sociable job!
I have a very good friend and work mate who understands my anxiety and I suppose to a certain extent he has been abit of a crutch....many a time over the last few years if I felt the social aspets to the job were getting overwhelming he would just say hang in there and don't leave.
Over the last 16 months I have started to feel much more confident and started doing over-time. People were really surprised. It was difficult in the beginning but it got easier the more I did it so much that now I love doing it.....I have got to know many other work mates ......I never got to know them doing the shorter hours.................however i still won't go in the canteen. I feel I'm missing out on geting to know people that little bit more.
It's just so daunting for me to walk through the door into the canteen ::(:

How did your SA affect you.....was it bad or did you nip it in the bud before it got really bad?

pirl

Yep, in my 30's.

I have SA. Have always been shy and reserved but seems to have become worse as I've aged. I manage to get by with it but it does get me down from time to time. I am married with kids, have a full-time job and lead what looks a normal life.

However, SA causes me to avoid a lot of situations and can flare up by times. I certainly also suffer from a lack of self-confidence and self-esteem - seems to be an intrinsic link between these and SA. Recently, I've been forcing myself to be positive each morning and to try and interact more with people but it can be difficult by times.

Anyway, if anyone on here wants to chat or bounce ideas off someone, give me a shout.

Seabreeze

Yep, in my 30's.

I have SA. Have always been shy and reserved but seems to have become worse as I've aged. I manage to get by with it but it does get me down from time to time. I am married with kids, have a full-time job and lead what looks a normal life.

However, SA causes me to avoid a lot of situations and can flare up by times. I certainly also suffer from a lack of self-confidence and self-esteem - seems to be an intrinsic link between these and SA. Recently, I've been forcing myself to be positive each morning and to try and interact more with people but it can be difficult by times.

Anyway, if anyone on here wants to chat or bounce ideas off someone, give me a shout.

Hi Ya Pirl! I only saw the extra posts on this thread tonight. Hadn't been on a while. Your post remined me of myself. Like you I would have issues with self-confidence which I think has been the major factor behind my SA. I work and am married (no kids yet!) and try to lead a life as normal as possible.
I do like people but only tend to feel comfortable in a one to one situation where I feel I can be myself and am accepted more.
I ahve been reading a great book recently called Highly Sensitive People and I have really identified with this book.
Would love to chat sometime. :)

daisy

hi guys! i'm in my early thirtys:(unfortunately!!! i really identified wit what u said Pirl and Seabreeze about living what appears to be a normal life! i am in a stressful fulltime job...appear to have everything going for me on the outside but god if people only know how some days it can be such a struggle. but we just gotta keep going i guess:)
wud love to chat wit ye guys:) do ye live in ireland?

Seabreeze

hi guys! i'm in my early thirtys:(unfortunately!!! i really identified wit what u said Pirl and Seabreeze about living what appears to be a normal life! i am in a stressful fulltime job...appear to have everything going for me on the outside but god if people only know how some days it can be such a struggle. but we just gotta keep going i guess:)
wud love to chat wit ye guys:) do ye live in ireland?

Hi daisy: i admire you being able to hold down a stressful job...in all honest mine is not stressful but I chose the job when my SA was particularly bad, and I was in a very bad place at the time! the job didn't put lot of stress on me from a work perspective however it did stress me out from the Sa front as It really was a social place to work and I still wonder how I managed to hold down the job and come through the worst of it.....I hasten to add I still need to do an awful lot of work on my SA as I don't feel comfortable in "groups" not that I dislike being in a group just my anxiety can skyrocket when i feel under pressure to be the life and sould of the party!

WhiskeyJack

Hi, i am bang on 30 now. Didnt feel like that special a milestone to hit.

One thing i have noticed over the last few months is that i am less patient and less polite than i used to be. (Perhaps turning into a grumpy old man!)

indo_mex

Turned 35 two months ago. Seems I may've had SAD since my teens but it's come into focus only now that I've been diagnosed.