Are people less nice to you the older you get

KiaKaha

Banned
A humble observation I have made lately. I remember back when I was a teenager just entering the workforce, people seemed to be much more forthcoming and nicer, and just friendlier. Now that I am an "adult" at a ripe old age of 31 I have noticed that when I meet new people they seem to be a lot more, dare I say it.. judgmental and not so open to knowing who you are... Does it seem like the older you get the less open people are towards you...?

Or am I just being a crazy mo fo again...

I think that in one aspect it makes a lot of sense... When you're a teenager, you're just some hired help.. who probably won't be around the place long. But as you get older, you become a competitor, a rival to your fellow colleagues... Or at least that's the way some people see it.

Feathers

Hm, not really... It depends on the people and where you are and your own attitude..
I think people were less nice to me when I was a kid or such.. (I was a miserable and slightly awkward kid, so no wonder) Though then again I am doing much more interesting things now too.. And enthusiasm can be catchy..
Maybe you could find ways to find your work or what you do and people around you more interesting and convey it in conversation too? Or find solutions to their problems or talk about things that interest them and they'd be happy to listen? (Maybe offer it in a friendly and casual way, so as for them to not get threatened?)

Maybe it's also the crisis, and people in some work places are just generally more 'worn out' and 'suspicious' and tired of it all.. (Some industries seem to be doing pretty bad, so those people may just be afraid the job would close or someone younger would replace them etc.)

If you're entering a job at entry level they may also think, who's this person and why are they entering so late? Or if you do affiliate stuff, people can be suspicious of marketers, yup. It's just one of the job risks then. So, it would probably depend on the situation.