Are Antisychotic and SSRI combinations bad?

Moses199

Before starting I must say I have very tiny experience with meds.

I have SA and a sever anger problem. I've been taking risperdal for a week to combat the anger problem and i think it's working slightly.

However I'm thinking of adding Prozac to for my SA but not sure if this will lead to bad results. Anyone know what can result from this combo?

I've been taking risperidone (1mg) and paroxetine (SSRI; 60mg) for a few years. I do have rage attacks every now & then, where i lose control of my impulsive urges for revenge & it spirals out of control, but there's always an external trigger (something a person says or does). But that could be just me, & not the medication, as i've always been like that. I need to nip these attacks in the bud, to acknowledge that i'm wanting to seek revenge, and apply CBT to these thoughts/urges, and don't go & say/do stuff thinking 'oh, it'll be fine' as usually it ISN'T fine at all. Other than that i can't see any adverse effects, but i can't for sure that there isn't any, as i've been on meds for many years.

Moses199

I've been taking risperidone (1mg) and paroxetine (SSRI; 60mg) for a few years. I do have rage attacks every now & then, where i lose control of my impulsive urges for revenge & it spirals out of control, but there's always an external trigger (something a person says or does). But that could be just me, & not the medication, as i've always been like that. I need to nip these attacks in the bud, to acknowledge that i'm wanting to seek revenge, and apply CBT to these thoughts/urges, and don't go & say/do stuff thinking 'oh, it'll be fine' as usually it ISN'T fine at all. Other than that i can't see any adverse effects, but i can't for sure that there isn't any, as i've been on meds for many years.
Did the meds help with your anger problem?

It's hard to say, as i AVOID most angering situations in life. But judging by my recent anger outbursts, i would say the meds haven't helped.

Moses199

Sorry to hear that. What meds helped you with anything else?
For your anger maybe try other meds sometimes it's about trying different things until you find the right one.

Well, i think my 3 meds help in these ways:
  • Anti-anxiety: reduces nerves (i think), reduces anxiety about the future (possibly)
  • Anti-psychotic: reduces the severity of my up/down mood swings & controls my ocd/obsessiveness (fairly certain of, as i had severe mood swings before this med, but not now)
  • Anti-depressant: prevents major/acute depression, reduces the number of occasions where i get moderately depressed (fairly certain of)

Also, i self-medicate with alcohol, to treat my moods (which are still very changeable, despite the meds). Eg if really bored, i drink alcohol & listen to music, and my mind becomes stimulated (perhaps due to my conscious thinking has reduced, so i can be more in the moment?)

And i use chocolate to boost my mood.

grapevine

Anti-psychotics are a use for people who have psychosis. Risperdal calms them down but has side effects.

Antidepressants 'try' to boost the serotonin in the brain.

Both are toxic drugs. Whether they work for you is for you to decide.

Dont know about them together.

Moses199

Well, i think my 3 meds help in these ways:
  • Anti-anxiety: reduces nerves (i think), reduces anxiety about the future (possibly)
  • Anti-psychotic: reduces the severity of my up/down mood swings & controls my ocd/obsessiveness (fairly certain of, as i had severe mood swings before this med, but not now)
  • Anti-depressant: prevents major/acute depression, reduces the number of occasions where i get moderately depressed (fairly certain of)

Also, i self-medicate with alcohol, to treat my moods (which are still very changeable, despite the meds). Eg if really bored, i drink alcohol & listen to music, and my mind becomes stimulated (perhaps due to my conscious thinking has reduced, so i can be more in the moment?)

And i use chocolate to boost my mood.

Do you have a boredom problem? I just made a thread about this new boredom problem I got as a side effect from a current med im taking. Please read it and tell me if same problem as yours, here:
https://socialphobiaworld.com/extreme-boredom-with-resperdal-65565/

lily

interesting! i have thought of trying prozac too b/c i heard that it is a very powerful drug but then i also heard in reverse that it is the dirty drug now and it will likely cause more weight gain than the new drugs, don't know if that's true. no i don't think a combo of anti-depressant and anti-psychotic is a bad combo in reply to your question but you have to be careful w/ antipsychotics b/c they're likely to cause a lot of weight gain. good luck

Last edited:
interesting! i have thought of trying prozac too b/c i heard that it is a very powerful drug but then i also heard in reverse that it is the dirty drug now and it will likely cause more weight gain than the new drugs, don't know if that's true. no i don't think a combo of anti-depressant and anti-psychotic is a bad combo in reply to your question but you have to be careful w/ antipsychotics b/c they're likely to cause a lot of weight gain. good luck

I haven't gained any weight at all, & i'm taking antidepressant, anti-anxiety, & anti-psychaotic.