anyone who had botox can tell me how long before it works?

Sprawling

Maybe it was an off day for you Rexus. See if it starts working tomorrow. Remember, Botox is a toxin. I'm not sure how often you can pump this stuff into yourself? $175- sounds awfully cheap if this was done in the United States. Was that your cost with some type of insurance, or is that just what you pay?

Rexus

So I took an appointment at an experienced dr's on friday and he says it costs around $600+ depending on how much botox i need. I think what was used on me was bad quality botox? I'm not sure. Friday will be my last try. I sold some stuff I don't need for around $500 since I'm in real need of the money and have to pay plnty of stuff other than botox. I hope this time it works.

Rexus

I just looked it up I don't believe i tried it but i really don't want to go on oral drugs that dry you up. I will take a last try at botox on friday and see.

Stuckwithme

Remember, Botox is a toxin. I'm not sure how often you can pump this stuff into yourself?

Botulinum toxin is a natural toxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum and can be found in the food we eat. It has been used in medical science sinde 1950 so I wouldn't worry too much. It's probably much worse to use medicine.

etsveteran

Hi, I have talked to people who had success with Botox, and I am in the process of writing about my experience with Botox on my website (I was on vacation so the below is incomplete at the moment, but I have had amazing success so far!)

http://www.no-ets.com/my-botox-sweat-treatment.html

I am concerned about the side effects of getting so many Botox injections every 4-6 months, but if results last for a year, I might get the injections every alternate year (and use HIDREX or Idromed iontophoresis in the in-between years).

Last edited:

Rexus

I thought botox was harmless i didn't know it had long term effects... hmmm oh and my hands are sweating again i just don't know what the hell happened there!? Is it bad brand of botox!? Dunno.

Stuckwithme

There are no long term effects. Anyone read my post? It has been used for 50 years in medicine and never showed any signs of long term effects. Personally I believe it is a thousand times less harmfull than Iontophoresis which doesn't feel very healty at all. Forcing an electric current through your body and heart everyday doesn't feel ok. What about cancer for example.

etsveteran

Stuckwithme, who is your doctor in Sweden that you said invented the use of Botox for hand sweating? I thought they started doing this in the US first (home of Allergen, which owns the rights to the the brand name BOTOX)?

Also, Botox was officially only approved for use in the US in the 1980s, and only approved in 2004 for use for axillary sweating. Was it approved earlier where you live? Or do you mean they have been using it illegally on people since the 1950s?

Read this too:

http://www.yourplasticsurgeryguide.com/injectables-and-fillers/botox-faq.htm

I love the dryness, but I am not confident that Botox is safe if used every 3 months. And I suggest you not tell people that it is safer than regular medicine or iontophoresis. Iontophoresis has a far longer history than Botox, especially if you assume that between 1950 and 1990, Botox was used in very few people. Remember that iontophoresis has been and still is primarily used for delivering medication rather than for treating hyperhidrosis.

You are lucky that it worked for a year for you. I hope I get the same results.

Last edited:

Sprawling

Stuckwithme, can you elaborate on where you read or heard about the of iontopheresis. Have you read anywhere that this form of treatment can give you cancer or effect the heart. If this is your personal opinion, that's fine. My personal opinion is that Inoto is safer than taken meds or toxins. I have not read of anything otherwise. As far as the long term effect... who knows? Eating jellybeans everyday probably can cause an illness... just my opinion.

Stuckwithme

Botox has been used in medical science since the 50-ies.

Researchers discovered in the 1950s that injecting overactive muscles with minute quantities of botulinum toxin type-A would result in decreased muscle activity by blocking the release of acetylcholine from the neuron by preventing the vesicle where the Acetylcholine is stored from binding to the membrane where the neurotransmitter can be released. This will render the muscle unable to contract for up to a period of three to four months.

It has been used activly for more than 30 years to treat close to 100 different medical conditions.

Treatment of palmar hyperhidrosis with Botox was developed by Dr Carl Swartling togheter with Hans Naver and Sten-Magnus Aquillonius in 1996 at Akademiska in Uppsala, Sweden.

SweatParty

Rexus, so it was working on days 4-5 but then pretty much stopped? Any updates?

Also, I know you're desperate for results, but please give it a few more days before you declare that it absolutely didn't work. We've all read so many HH stories that we know the effects are different for everyone, including time it takes for effectiveness. Good luck!

Stuckwithme, thanks for all the info! Do you continue to receive Botox in your hands yearly? How many times have you done it?