Anyone not bothered about their appearance?

SilentAndShy

I don't think I have been for the majority of my life besides university when I felt it might help get the attraction of the opposite sex and I was two stone lighter (not sure if it worked but my success rate was 0!) but since then I don't really spend much time.

Even for work, it's not consistent. Wear whatever, trim whatever, then done.

Because I have social life on the weekends, I tend to wear my work clothes which leads to people annoyingly ask if I was working on the weekend (what's wrong with plain black trousers and shirt dammit! lol) but I just cba to do so.

But now I'm married, I might try to make more of an effort.

Requiescat

I have started to care much less over the past few years for varying reasons. Ironically picking up weights again was a catalyst for that. I think I was just thrilled to overcome two years of debilitating back pain and enjoy feeling good in my skin. Nothing quite like it.

this_portrait

The only time I really felt insecure about my appearance as an adult (aside from a few moments here and there in my early 20s) was when I gained 35-40lbs, making me overweight for a woman my height. I've since lost most of it and am gaining back the confidence in my body that I lost for over a year.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Aside from being self-conscious aboot ma beard an skin tone. As well as whit other folk assume aboot me as a result of it. Due my sister's past blantantly dehumanising jokes comparing me to various Middle Eastern stereotypes in public for a laugh. Because that how ye treat yer wee step-brorher, innit?

Remind him of the bullyin' he hud to pit up with during school.

But other than that, am no that bothered aboot ma appearance, in that dress to impress sense. Since am pretty average lookin' anyway.

SilentAndShy

Aside from being self-conscious aboot ma beard an skin tone. As well as whit other folk assume aboot me as a result of it. Due my sister's past blantantly dehumanising jokes comparing me to various Middle Eastern stereotypes in public for a laugh. Because that how ye treat yer wee step-brorher, innit?

Remind him of the bullyin' he hud to pit up with during school.

But other than that, am no that bothered aboot ma appearance, in that dress to impress sense. Since am pretty average lookin' anyway.

You've put my original post into pale comparison, sorry you're having to go through that. In a way, can sympathise with being judged on skin tone and appearance (beard for my brother gets him odd looks, don't know why, it's a harmless beard!) but guess when it comes from "family", it's incredibly upsetting.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
You've put my original post into pale comparison, sorry you're having to go through that. In a way, can sympathise with being judged on skin tone and appearance

Thank you for the empathy. : Thumbup: It has been difficult being judged on skin tone and appearance, especially if you're of mixed race cuz you have this feeling of not truly belonging in many ways, or at least I still do.

(beard for my brother gets him odd looks, don't know why, it's a harmless beard!)

Ah suppose it's just negative image associate that comes with having a beard, y'know? Post 9/11 and what not....

Ironically, my beard isn't that long. A bit patch and a few long hairs here and there. But then, ah've never been able to style my beard or keep those long hairs down.

but guess when it comes from "family", it's incredibly upsetting.

I should probably clarify at this point, that my sister only insulted my appearance for a laugh to try and make me laugh. Work that yn oot, if ye can? Ah think it was also because we are both fans of Scottish comedian Frankie Boyle who's know as much for brutal putdowns and insult as much as his dark humour. My sister, of course, forgetting the whole context is everything with a joke.

In fairness, first time she said it, I geniunely laughed because ah wus in a good mood and didn't really read much into it. Saw the humour in it, until it become her only recurring joke. And sayin' it to me "spontaniously" whilist waiting for a doctor's appointment and expecting a laugh?

Well, sorry but... Wrong place. Wrong time.

Nor is it acceptable at comedy gig while waiting for the comedian we have ticket to see takes the stage. Unless, I've got a fair few drinks in me. Though, me with a sarcastic: "Aye... very funny" was possibly seen by my sister as approving of the joke. Had I compared her appearance to Freddy Krueger after a sex change as comeback, I doubt she'd be laughin' along.

Much like the time my mum told me off when she was called in to discuss why my grades had slipped quite a bit in a few of secondary school classes with the deputy head teacher. Upon him uttering the words: "We all have do things we don't want to at times, Graeme" Now I don't know why, but I had one of those moment where the words left my mouth before I could process them. And I replied with: "Like bein' here, ye mean?"

Still huv some pride in this moment. Not because it shocked both the deputy head and my mum, but the actually head teacher, who was also in room, let out a wee snickering laugh. :giggle:

Last edited:
No, I'm not bothered by my appearance. In fact many ppl even tell me that I look gorgeous. I do feel uncomfortable in public, cuz I've been discriminated ever since I was born, cuz I'm Asian. So yeah it's too bad that I feel scared in public and cuz of this, I've never learnt to socialize and never had many friends and never could make it to have a bf. In the end I feel ashamed and am angry at myself.