Anyone good on computers?

PrettyBoy

I've got a Compaq Presario SR1000 Desktop PC and want to reset it back to how it was when i first bought it. I haven't got a clue how to do it and haven't got a disk or anything. Anyone know how to do it?

Nack

Banned
You need the original operating system disk that came with the computer, that's about the only way you can "reset" it.

Nack

Banned
I don't know if they still sell Window XP at retails, but i'm sure you can find Vista/Window 7 there. You can also check small tech stores around your area to see if they have any, chances are they might.

Danfalc

Banned
Your pc should come with a windows disk,if it hasnt you might have to buy a new version ::(: You could try going to sytem tools in your task bar,look for sytem tools and try a sytem restore.Make a back up though.

If it's Windows XP I don't think there is going to work System restore, because I don't think he did any Restore point... Anyways if you didn't get the CD, search Online for a Windows copy(I mean torrents and all that stuff). Then burn it and install it. On the back of your PC you should find your license key and what kind of windows you have. You don't have to buy new copy. You have license and it should be enough to reinstall them legally. Laptop sellers(big ones like HP) can't sell laptops without OS. And of course don't forget to find drivers(download them from HP) BEFORE reinstall and put them in USB flash or cd... You can find your exact model on the back too. If you don't find where to look, in HP web you'll find where to look exactly(there is a note). After reinstalling windows, install drivers.

PrettyBoy

I bought it from pc world a couple of years ago. I've been paying so much a month though for 'PC performance' so when it breaks they fix it. Should I give them a ring?

Remus

Staff member
yeah mght be an idea, find whatever policy you have too, were there any other DVD or CD discs that came with the PC?

PrettyBoy

I don't think so unless I've lost them. This box pops up sometimes though when i turn my pc on saying pc recovery back up discs or something and gives me the option of burning it onto cd or dvd I just haven't got the discs to burn it.

Remus

Staff member
do you see a windows key anywhere on the laptop?

looks like this:

prod_key.jpg

Remus

Staff member
should be a code on it that is your windows key.

you can download a windows Xp clone from some torrent site, burn it to disc and then when it asks, insert that key.

The keycode is the important thing you see.

or if you know anyone with XP ,they could copy thier disc for you

jmroszczak

If your computer (especially brand name) didnt come with a restore disc It probably has a built in Restore "to factory condition" Partition on the Hard drive. Thats just like using one of them Restore Discs. I would look for something like that either in the start up bios When Hitting "f8" or "f11"repeatedly(like Stacey said) OR just look around in the Programs section when windows Loads up. I.E. "Start - All programs - Then look there..."

thats what my Brothers Compaq has and his computer is 2 years old. Hardly any Pc makers these days give Restore discs anymore..Its all built into the PC. hope this helps

BDDgirl

go buy windows 7, it is better than any other operating system I've ever known.
I've been testing it for months and it is great! easier to use too