Anyone ever ask you...

LaLaLa

...if you have any friends?

How do you react? :?

Once, this girl in my school, who's a few years older (we don't know eachother but I've seen her around), walked up to me and asked me. I said 'yeah...' then she asks 'don't you hang with them?' And then there I was with this stupid dumb expression on my face, as always. :evil: She wasn't being mean or anything (or so it seemed).

I wasn't with my only friend at the time. It felt crap. :(

scissorhands

Yeah that's an inconsiderate thing to ask someone, and its really no ones business to ask. Why would she possibly need to know if you have or hang out with friends? Just throw the question back at them. I wouldn't give them a yes or no I would just ask them an equally nosey question.

LaLaLa

I wish I could stand up for myself. If only I didn't freeze every time someone attempts a convo with me....I always end up with stupid dead replies. I think the girl didn't mean to sound horrible, she was just ignorant, I guess. :evil: I wouldn't dare say anything rude to somebody I'm not too familiar with, I can't even talk to them. And I'm always scared that the person would comeback with a bunch of hurtful insults that would leave me with even more scars. I'm such a coward. :(

scissorhands

haha, I totally understand. When someone approaches me, even if I've been hoping to get to talk to them or anything, once they speak to me I freeze like a deer in headlines, and can't respond with anything more then a simple stupid response. So the conversation dies and they never talk to me again. After they leave I can think of a hundred interesting responses I could have given.
I'm even more embarassed about this stuff because I'm a guy and we're expected to be dominant and comanding and I'm just a coward.lol Makes me feel like a real wuss sometime.s

dottie

LaLaLa said:
I wish I could stand up for myself. If only I didn't freeze every time someone attempts a convo with me....I always end up with stupid dead replies. I think the girl didn't mean to sound horrible, she was just ignorant, I guess. :evil: I wouldn't dare say anything rude to somebody I'm not too familiar with, I can't even talk to them. And I'm always scared that the person would comeback with a bunch of hurtful insults that would leave me with even more scars. I'm such a coward. :(

i completely relate, lalala.

Doomed2Die

Yes like everyone who has posted so far I have done the similar things, panic on the spot and kill the conversation. But oddly enough, lately I simply say "No I have no friends" or "My only friend is Jehovah god at the moment".

OR if this person is saying it as a offensive joke I'll overdo it and act all creepy "Yeah well I suppose after trying to drink their blood people tend to avoid me", But act real serious about it. Funny really, if you do it right it puts people waay offbalance. Besides, they asked for it.

Snerkable

LaLaLa said:
I wish I could stand up for myself. If only I didn't freeze every time someone attempts a convo with me....I always end up with stupid dead replies.

Every time? How can you know that people think you're giving them stupid boring replies? You can't. Often times guys just like to be around people of the opposite sex, we don't even really judge what they say all that much... but if you defeat yourself by throwing in these assumptions that it's all the time and every time... then OF COURSE you're not going to have confidence in yourself.
Instead of thinking how boring or stupid you think people think of you, think how great and lovely they think of you, even if you can't find any immediate relevent material to justify this thought ~ it will come. People don't conversate with you because they pity you or anything, they do it because they're interested in you ~ because you're a person worth communicating with.

LaLaLa said:
I think the girl didn't mean to sound horrible, she was just ignorant, I guess. :evil: I wouldn't dare say anything rude to somebody I'm not too familiar with, I can't even talk to them. And I'm always scared that the person would comeback with a bunch of hurtful insults that would leave me with even more scars. I'm such a coward.
If people do insult you, then who's really the weaker person? They are. People who need to make other people feel bad to get a "high" or whatever are truly the inferior ones. You seem like a very sweet person who would be conducive to anyone's ego and for that I'm sorry to say but there are people who will take advantage of you. But please, throw away these self-defeating thoughts of yours and realize that you're above these people, that you'd make for a great friend because you're so nice and flattering, that the words spoken by the ingrates are just that... and you are no coward. For a coward wouldn't seek help. A coward wouldn't be on this message board posting for help. A coward wouldn't try and better themselves, but instead would revel in their world of inferiority. You are strong just based on the fact that you understand that your world is currently unacceptable. You can change... I want you to challenge your automatic thoughts that you're weak or hopeless... EVERY time they come up. We're fighting the same battle together. We'll walk through this together, for we are no cowards.

Predacon

Yeah I remember that happening a few times in school, and I would mumble something in reply. Then hours later I would come up with some clever comeback and tell myself thats what I should have said.

Legiac

Just say, "You know? I had a friend once. You remind me a lot of her...

but she was asking for it".

recluse

I have no close friends so on weekends i do stuff on my own. I've been to a cinema alone a few times, got drunk on my own, i love going for a drive in my car and i also like playing my guitar. The worst thing is at work on Mondays when someone asks me what i did, and then they ask ''alone?'' and they sound suprised when i tell them i am alone every weekend.

steviegerrard489

recluse said:
I have no close friends so on weekends i do stuff on my own. I've been to a cinema alone a few times, got drunk on my own, i love going for a drive in my car and i also like playing my guitar. The worst thing is at work on Mondays when someone asks me what i did, and then they ask ''alone?'' and they sound suprised when i tell them i am alone every weekend.

Yep, I get asked that all the time. Just recently on a Monday morning I've started to lie about what I did at the weekend.

I've not long ago got back after going to the pub for a drink with work colleagues. There is one girl I have known for 4 years - she is bisexual, and also quite quiet like me. However, she does appear to have more friends than I do (which isn't difficult)!

Anyhow, we were just standing there with our pints of beer when she turned to me and said: "Can I ask you something....how do you meet women?"

At first I was confused - was she talking specifically about me or just in general?! It turned out she was talking about me specifically, I guess because she has figured out I don't have much of a life outside work..

I just said that I did in the normally ways but that I did not like the whole 'lets get drunk and pull each other' attitude some people have. Which is what I do dislike to some extent - the whole British drinking culture...

She told me she had been single for a year and I said yes, me too but 1.5years. Then she started asking about whether I was interested in any of the women at work. However, there are only about 5 women out of 40 staff because it's so male dominated..

I'm not certain but she could have been fishing for information amongst the group of work girls she hangs around with. I know for a fact that they talk a lot about the men in the office behind their backs. Not in a bad way, just the usual stuff like 'he's cute....he's funny...he's dull'.

There's a saying: "There's only one thing worse than being talked about....not being talked about at all".

Doomed2Die

Butterflies said:
Doomed2Die - time you changed your nick name?

More than late, but I have held onto it for a long time... mostly because of online friends and what not... meh how does 'Gloomy' sound?

Back to the subject somewhat... after replying to people who ask if you have any friends, it tends to stun them. I see pity sometimes, I both hate and like that...

Also that saying is not so true when those people are those who delight in classing others and talking crap in general. I'd rather not be noticed by those kind of fools.

Butterflies

Doomed2Die said:
Butterflies said:
Doomed2Die - time you changed your nick name?

More than late, but I have held onto it for a long time... mostly because of online friends and what not... meh how does 'Gloomy' sound?

Back to the subject somewhat... after replying to people who ask if you have any friends, it tends to stun them. I see pity sometimes, I both hate and like that...

Also that saying is not so true when those people are those who delight in classing others and talking crap in general. I'd rather not be noticed by those kind of fools.

What about doomed to live :D I noticed your posts change a few months ago.

shynobody

scissorhands said:
haha, I totally understand. When someone approaches me, even if I've been hoping to get to talk to them or anything, once they speak to me I freeze like a deer in headlines, and can't respond with anything more then a simple stupid response. So the conversation dies and they never talk to me again. After they leave I can think of a hundred interesting responses I could have given.
I'm even more embarassed about this stuff because I'm a guy and we're expected to be dominant and comanding and I'm just a coward.lol Makes me feel like a real wuss sometime.s
wow...that's me! except i'm a deer in headlights lol. either what comes out of my mouth is a garbled mess or i think of something i could have said better after the fact. that's why i like msg boards. it gives you that lil extra time to think and say something worthwhile.

as for the OP. dont mind rude pple and comments like that...theyre worthless. like me lol :oops: :cry:

jamez

LaLaLa said:

Once, this girl in my school, who's a few years older (we don't know eachother but I've seen her around), walked up to me and asked me. I said 'yeah...' then she asks 'don't you hang with them?' And then there I was with this stupid dumb expression on my face, as always. :evil: She wasn't being mean or anything (or so it seemed).

Hey is that you in your avatar, if so you look really pretty. I would hang out with you, so its all cool.

stevelee24

jamez said:
LaLaLa said:

Hey is that you in your avatar, if so you look really pretty. I would hang out with you, so its all cool.

So you just hang out with people if there pretty, :roll:

Doomed2Die

stevelee24 said:
jamez said:
LaLaLa said:

So you just hang out with people if there pretty, :roll:

Yeah I kinda read it the same... meh, whos to blame? Society and methods methinks. Its all about the looks...... heh. Hmm, I should stop derailing topics.

Vancouver

Doomed2Die said:
Yeah I kinda read it the same... meh, whos to blame? Society and methods methinks. Its all about the looks...... heh. Hmm, I should stop derailing topics.

amtrak5.jpg

IceLad

An old work colleague once asked me this question. My instant panic-stricken reply was 'Yes, of course'. At the end of the day though, it was none of their business, and besides that, it's quite an intrusive question to ask anyway.

However I guess that if you don't ever talk about your friends to other people, sooner or later they may begin to wonder.