Anybody else hate parking?

blackcap

Does anyone else get anxious when having to parallel park or squeeze into tight parking spaces? I hate the thought of having to parallel park, especially on a busy street, in case there are cars behind me waiting to get past. I'm not the world's worst parallel parker, but occasionally I get it wrong and need a couple of attempts to do it properly, and the thought of people watching me makes me nervous.

Also I have this fear that if I try and squeeze into a tight space (not just parallel parking), I won't manage to do it and will somehow leave the car in a ridiculous position (again, only an issue if other people are around, like in a mall car park).

Normally I don't worry about this too much and I've never had an embarrasing parking incident yet, but I just bought a new car and found it's slightly longer than my previous one so it'll be a bit harder to park. Now my stupid worrying is taking over and I keep imagining situations where I'll do something stupid while parking!

blackcap

Oh, just to add to this. Does anyone else find it hard to judge distances properly when parking? Like if I try and park as close as possible to a wall or another car, I always leave a huge gap whereas I see other people get really close (without having to get out of their car and look). I find it especially hard in cars with a high back or sloping hood.

Is it due to poor spatial awareness or something?

dottie

once you get used to your new car you will get the hang of it. plus practice makes perfect. congratulations on the new car, btw! i get nervous parallel parking usually only when people are around. it's like they are watching, hoping i will fuck up so that they can laugh at me. it's irrational because in reality they could care less how well i parallel park, plus i'm pretty good at it anyways.