Any Quick Tips?

There is a five-hour-long social event that I am required to attend this Saturday. It's an orientation for my study abroad program so I'm assuming there will be handshaking and perhaps even some icebreaker activities that require handholding (my worst nightmare.)

I was just wondering if you guys had any go-to, last-resort tips to keep palmar hyperhidrosis at bay when you know these types of events are coming up. Also keep in mind that I'm in college so my resources are limited!

Any ideas would be much appreciated. I'll be spending the entirety of next semester abroad with these people so I'd rather not make a sweaty first impression.

Englishman

Drink plenty of water, also say something like you've got a water infection or along those lines. Try use anything which enables you to escape situations quickly. If not, try and keep both hands occupied with items such as cups or anything you can. Good luck. :)

hyp-hi

Hand holding activities, that's the worst. If by any small chance there is something like that, you could try to make up a quick excuse like you have to go to the bathroom or something. For social situations as mentioned above, try to keep yourself occupied like you are holding stuff or doing something. If you know you are going to have to shake, causally dry your hand on your sleeve if possible. These things can be tough, but you will get through it. Good luck!

Sprawling

Wear gloves or just explain to people you have sweaty palms do to a hereditary condition. You'll find most people pretty understanding and curious.

Find some calamine powder and rub it on your hands and in between your fingers. Do make sure that after your paws are good and dry wipe the excess powder on a hand towel or something. Maybe some aerosol spray anti-perspirant?

hydroman123

I used to wear trousers made of pretty absorbent material so I could quickly wipe my hand prior to shaking hands with someone. Another trick that kinda worked well was to have a drink with ice in my right hand so that people assumed that caused my hands to become a popsicle. Anyway.....have you tried treatments like ionto or Driclor??

aries86

Well if you can't get out of it ;) If I were you I would try to shower as close to the event as possible (not sure if that works for anyone else, but it is a lifesaver for me) I have a window of about 2 hours after a shower (90% of the time) that I don't sweat. Drink lots of water and avoid caffeine, or any other stimulants like the plague. Also, if you can as I've seen mentioned previously, try to hold on to something such as programs or handouts. I always do this and it helps dry the sweat up. Good luck :)

ukchick

I used to wear trousers made of pretty absorbent material so I could quickly wipe my hand prior to shaking hands with someone. Another trick that kinda worked well was to have a drink with ice in my right hand so that people assumed that caused my hands to become a popsicle. Anyway.....have you tried treatments like ionto or Driclor??

I have used the ice suggestion many times or hold a bottle if water from the fridge,people will assume your wet hands are from holding a chilled drink or say that's why...

sullyS25

I dont think people will even remember that you had sweaty palms dude. You probably wont even have to hold hands. I never did when I did the study abroad thing. You are waaaay over thinking this thing. It will be fine

I would try and find a Hand antiperspirant, that you can apply a couple of minutes before you go into the situation.

I'm going to guess your in the US? So I'm not sure what products you have available and at short notice. Probably best to try your local Pharmacy and even ask if they have an antiperspirant hand lotion/gel product.

Products that I know are available or can be imported in UK are:

Neat Touch Antiperspirant Hand Lotion

Odaban Hand Lotion

Klima Confidence Handspray

SweatStop Instant Lotion for Hands

+ a few more similar products not specfically for hands could be applied even the pharmacy may have some foot antiperspirant.

They sell "Grip type" product for sports, Golf etc which are basically antiperspirant gels so sports stores may be your best bet. (Tite Grip Control Formula)

Have you used the stronger antiperspirant for hands Driclor, odaban etc? if not you could try and get some but you have to apply this at bedtime.

I know they sell antiperspirant talc powder so this could be a option just before you join the meeting.

Having some absorbant kitchen paper in your pocket and keep wiping your hands to absorb any moisture.

Last option would be to put a bandage on your hand so if the dreaded handshake comes up you have a good excuse not to shake hands.