Anxiety in class?

awkwardamanda

From kindergarten right through high school I was usually okay speaking up in class. I was always one of the smarter kids in the class so I actually gave answers quite often. But that's probably why I got bullied in elementary school. That brainy kid. She isn't cool like us. Let's make her feel like ****!::(: But things changed in university. My grades started slipping and sometimes I barely passed. I was constantly tired and stressed and unable to focus. I didn't have much of a social life so it was so much harder to get anything accomplished when all I did was force myself to work without much time for rest or play. Overall I got by and still did okay though. I didn't participate in class very much. I wasn't confident anymore. Often enough I didn't know the answers. Or sometimes I thought I knew the answer but I'd second guess myself and then I'd get too nervous just thinking about it so I'd just stay quiet. And sometimes my answer turned out to be wrong so it was a good thing I didn't speak up. I didn't like asking questions much either cause I'd just worry that I'd ask a dumb question and embarrass myself. Fortunately my classes were mostly lectures and didn't usually require participation. I didn't have to do any group work. But then I didn't make any friends in the whole six years I spent at university.::(: It sucked that I wasn't able to meet up with anyone to work together and ask questions. I was too shy to go see my profs for help too. I had the potential to do well in school but it didn't work out that way.

it's horrible if a boy I'm interested in is in that class.::(:

So true!! I had a crush on a guy in a few of my classes in university. He was so smart and it was so intimidating. He was always asking questions and giving answers. So it was even worse for me during those classes since I didn't want to draw attention to myself. I felt so dumb in comparison. I was extra quiet then.::eek::

unisucks

it's about expectation. i had the same experience.

say" I don't know" and they can't do anything but move on or ask someone else

I can relate to this, i feel not calm in a class. But sometimes I do, when I'm sitting in the back of the class. =) That makes me feel better. =)
But when I have to read something in front of everyone, i blush like a tomato
and when I have to do a speech I cancel it.. So anxiety is a problem for me in class