Antidepressants and Weight Gain!

I_jailed_me

Hello i have been on Antidepressants for the past 5months and have put on a significant amount of weight, i used to weigh 80kgs and now i am 92kgs which means i have added 20lbs!!

Has anyone found any cure, method or solution to control the antidepressant weight gain? I am currently on Citlopharm Hydro-bromide and it really suits me. After experimenting with many drugs and i think this one is it but the weight gain is ruining all the positive effect!

Please help if anyone has found an cure for this.

Remus

Staff member
Yeah it's a well known side effect of anti-D's, erectile dysfuntion being the other one. I think exercise and diet are about the best thing you can do. Or maybe see your doc and ask to be put on something else because of the weight gain?

I_jailed_me

Sorry to bump this up, i stoped taking medication about 6months back, it was working so beautifully, i thought i would completely get well but the weight gain was so terrifyingly fast that i freaked out and stoped takeing meds as a result my anxiety came back and the withdrawal lasted for almost 6months, my mind worked so well on the meds but now i have a natural balance after 6months of ups and downs as a result of withdrawals from meds, the meds where so good that i want to get back on them if i dont put on weight, so i need to know if there is anything to stop weight gain on medication..? I seem to have lost a bit of weight but still a long way to go. Even exercise and diet did not help me, i was gaining weight even when i was eating very very less like 1200Calories a day.

If anyone has any good idea on this, please let me know! :)

Last edited:

Section_31

I wish i could say i had advice. Before i went on citalopram, i was 125 lbs. In about 3 months i went up to 160. I also had some E/D going on, but going on wellbutrin fixed that, so the sex life is there but the weight stayed. Luckily its stopped at 160 and hasnt gone past.

Im just very careful to watch what i eat and excersize alot. Wont let myself go.

SM1010

Talk to you pdoc about wellbutrin. It's known for weight loss as a side effect.

I lost 8-9 lbs in about 2 months or so while I was on it.