Anti-reflective glasses

awkwardamanda

So, I just got some new glasses and they have an anti-reflective coating which I've never had before. Has anybody had glasses like that? They're not what I expected. Maybe there's something wrong with them. I don't know. When I look towards a light source I see a streak of light coming off each side. I thought it was supposed to reduce glare around headlights and that. It looks worse to me. I see a faint image of the light on either side with a streak coming off. It's at an angle, maybe because of the cylinder in the lens. If I tilt my head I see the streaks tilting. I don't notice it much indoors or in brighter lights outside. It's minor if I do. But at night, it's annoying. If I'm in the car all I see are smeared headlights and traffic lights everywhere. I noticed this as soon as I went outside when I got them and thought it was weird. Everything else looks fine. Does this seem not right to anyone? I have to go back and get them readjusted anyway so I guess I'll ask what's up then.:confused:

Moa

I've had that happen before. They had messed up when they made my lenses and put the coating on the wrong side! Maybe its the same with yours. At least they replaced it for free.

awkwardamanda

I've had that happen before. They had messed up when they made my lenses and put the coating on the wrong side! Maybe its the same with yours. At least they replaced it for free.

I think these are supposed to have the coating on both sides of the lens. I'm kinda hoping it's just a mistake. If it's just that these lenes are a poor choice for me, that's disappointing. It seemed like a worthwhile option. I'll be pissed if the prescription is off and I have to go back to the eye doctor. I was only there a month ago.

Predacon

I was considering getting antireflective lenses for my new glasses, but I can't decide if its worth the extra money.

awkwardamanda

So I went back and started explaining to the optician what I was seeing. At first she said that they're probably just dirty. She showed me the poster that shows the difference between what you see with a normal lens versus an anti-reflective lens and I told her that's not what I'm seeing and tried to explain in more detail. She asked me how I'm cleaning them. I explained that I've been cleaning them a lot and with their lens cleaning products. I either spray them and dry them with a microfibre cloth or I wipe them with a pre-moistened wipe. I really wasn't buying this dirty crap. She said that I may have to clean them and then polish them with a microfibre cloth, and then something about no matter how clean they look. Anyway, she took them into the lab for a moment and then came back and said, "These lenses are crazed. Here I am lecturing you about cleaning them.":confused: I'm like, "What does that mean?" She said, "They're cracked. The lens itself is fine, but the coating has cracks in it." I asked, "Both of them." "Yup." So they replaced the lenses anyway. Things look much better now.