Another newbie

Nathália

Hello Billfish.

Congrats on being sober.
Yes, social anxiety can debilitate people.
I wish you good luck in your future.
Welcome to SocialPhobiaWorld :)

MarionBerry

Even though it's extremely hard to accept compliments or praise, I appreciate you both.

I guess that's another 'problem', is not being good enough. No matter how many times I'm told that I'm handsome, smart, funny.... I always have a hard time believing it. Usually I'll just question the true motives behind the person's comment. Paranoid I guess.

I know how you feel about the questioning the motives behind compliments. What I eventually realized is that when you dismiss someone's compliment you dismiss their opinion and that was never my intent. So now what I do is say, "Thank you, you're sweet/kind/thoughtful." This positively acknowledges their compliments, validating the person and after you say it a few times you start believing they might be right.

billfish

Being accepted, getting recognition, and having some attention is probably one of the most difficult things in life, for me at least. Just browsing/viewing how people interact with their 'friends' on SPW, it's hard to see where a new person will fit in. Reminds me of other forums where people will instantly judge you based on your Post Count. (maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to remove it).

Last edited:

billfish

It's really just about my assumptions....

I think someone will see that I joined a day ago and think. "what does he have to contribute."

Whereas someone who's been on this site for YEARS, and people KNOW, will generally be heard above others.

I feel like I may not be making sense, and even I don't know what point I'm trying to make. Just carry on, and maybe delete this? bah