Annoying Newspaper Column

Coper

I finally clicked on a recent Maureen Dowd column for the NY Times called "An Ideal Husband." I noticed it was spending several days near the top of the Times' most emailed stories list, so I wondered what all the fuss was about.

It turned out to be a list of marital advice, specifically about what men to avoid, from some Catholic priest named Pat Connor. Mostly I was not interested, but his number 1 recommendation jumped out at me:

“Never marry a man who has no friends,” he starts. “This usually means that he will be incapable of the intimacy that marriage demands. I am always amazed at the number of men I have counseled who have no friends.

Thanks a lot, Maureen Dowd and Pat Connor! Now every woman who reads the NY Times will avoid me like the plague! :evil:

ljwwriter

I say never marry a man who has too many friends because if he does he sure as hell won't pay attention to you! :D

Richey

ljwwriter said:
I say never marry a man who has too many friends because if he does he sure as hell won't pay attention to you! :D

what about a guy who goes through stages of having friends then none, like a rollercoaster, one year i'll have a bunch of people to hang out with then after a while it ends and i become solitary...

does that mean i'm only properly available to date in those months i have those friends ...

its a load of crap basically

Argamemnon

Actually, apart from social anxiety issues, this is my biggest concern. Even if I met a girl, what would she think when she realizes I have no friends? It's really a major issue, isn't it?

Argamemnon

MrDooBee said:
Never take advice from anyone who says wanking is bad? :p
Wanking IS bad, if you're addicted to it because you feel lonely or whatever. You will eventually (sooner than you think) lose your sex drive much faster, if you have a masturbation addiction. Too much of anything is bad and unhealthy, period.

Sufferwell

I don't like that article either. I'm always afraid that someone will put me on the spot and ask me about my non-existent friends and I'll be humiliated, and/or try to lie and be completely unconvincing.

Moonie

Having no friends is something that I find myself ashamed about- when I am in a relationship. I tend to wonder what my partners think about it -- especially when there previous partners probably had girlfriends that they hung out with and did girly stuff with.

I remember my BF asking if I had any 'hot, single friends' that I can hook his roommate up with. I am like 'None are single." And then I told his roommate that I don't have many girl friends. Which, embarrasses me. I haven't had a girl friend since I was about 15.

I've also read something similar to the line of 'don't date someone who doesn't have any friends.' I think the article said that the person might end up being too clingy, etc.

Dave_McFadden

“Never marry a man who has no friends,” he starts. “This usually means that he will be incapable of the intimacy that marriage demands. I am always amazed at the number of men I have counseled who have no friends.

The thing that sucks the most about this, is that these guys go to him for help, since they're obviously lonely, which is probably their worst symptom of a host of other underlying problems they have. So they spill out their problems to him, and he goes and sells them out to www.dontmarryhimgirl.com or whatever.

How do you like that?? It gets me madder the more I think about it. Can you imagine confiding in your best friend or whatever, only to find out he/she was telling other people to stay away from you because of all the "issues" you have? What kind of sh***y thing is that to do to someone?