Am I too cynical maybe...?

paintedblue

So I'm having sleep problems lately. Basically I can't get enough, I wake up too often and I end up sleeping 4 hours a night. I don't have medical insurance so I went to Earthly goods instead, which is like a natural remedies kind of store. I asked one lady for help told her about my sleep problems and she seemed helpful, but I also noticed that she put a lot of emphasis on the pricier products; I mean there was stuff there that I just couldn't afford, and there was more reasonably priced stuff for me anyway. Also she felt I could benefit form buying vitamins to act as a supplement to a product she recommended. Anyway my point is, when I get in a situation like this, there is a part of me that feels that the person is not really trying to help me, that all their niceness and seeming concern is just a sales tactic. They're just trying to get me to buy stuff, more stuff or pricier stuff. I feel maybe this a cynical way too look at the situation, maybe I'm just being too cynical. I mean to be truthful, I really have no idea. She could really have been trying to help me. She was very nice. I just can't help feeling maybe she just saw me as another sale.

ImNotMyIllness

So I'm having sleep problems lately. Basically I can't get enough, I wake up too often and I end up sleeping 4 hours a night. I don't have medical insurance so I went to Earthly goods instead, which is like a natural remedies kind of store. I asked one lady for help told her about my sleep problems and she seemed helpful, but I also noticed that she put a lot of emphasis on the pricier products; I mean there was stuff there that I just couldn't afford, and there was more reasonably priced stuff for me anyway. Also she felt I could benefit form buying vitamins to act as a supplement to a product she recommended. Anyway my point is, when I get in a situation like this, there is a part of me that feels that the person is not really trying to help me, that all their niceness and seeming concern is just a sales tactic. They're just trying to get me to buy stuff, more stuff or pricier stuff. I feel maybe this a cynical way too look at the situation, maybe I'm just being too cynical. I mean to be truthful, I really have no idea. She could really have been trying to help me. She was very nice. I just can't help feeling maybe she just saw me as another sale.

No, I don't think you're too cynical. You may qualify for free health insurance or one at a low rate through your state/county. I'm unemployed and I qualify. I also get my medication free through my local county insurance and Express Scripts. Check with your local urgent care and ask questions. I'm sure there is something similar in Chicago.

That being said, for sleep you want a more natural route. I think medication would be a bad idea. Do some research on the internet. There are a number of herbs and teas that help people. I remember a friend raving about Kava. You don't have to overpay to find something that works.

Good luck! :)

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I don't think you're cynical either, but about the sleep problem, there is a more efficient long-term solution than pills: Shut down the computer or any screen at least 1 hour before going to sleep, stop drinking coffee, and exercice. I'm sure these advice are getting annoying, but seriously, if you are really looking for a solution, this IS the answer.

Herbal/natural stores aren't by definition better than any other business. While there might be truth to what this person tells you, it's important that you find some unbiased feedback on the products as well (online or elsewhere).

You're not too cynical. Duly cautious more so.

paintedblue

thanks for the sleep advice guys. But I'm afraid I've tried a the bulk of what people have suggested. sleep aids, melatonin, valerian, teas, special routines, exercise, no caffeine whatsoever, no tv computers etc... Kava i have not tried, i read it might be harmful to your liver. But yes I still have terrible sleep. I don't want to go the way of pills beacuse 1 i cant afford, and 2 i dont want to become dependent. So i still have to figure that out.

As far as the cynicism, I find myself second guessing people's actions because a part of me always thinks they're out for their own interest even when they may be trying to help me. Like doctors or my psychologists or psychiatrist. I always feel they're just trying to make some money, that they really don't care whether I beat depression or not.

laure15

It's rational to think this way. Maybe the saleslady does care for you as well as looking out for her own self-interests. She wants you to be better which is probably why she recommended those products, but she also wants to make a sale to help her store generate revenues. Everybody has self-interests that they want to pursue.

paintedblue

It's rational to think this way. Maybe the saleslady does care for you as well as looking out for her own self-interests. She wants you to be better which is probably why she recommended those products, but she also wants to make a sale to help her store generate revenues. Everybody has self-interests that they want to pursue.

I suppose you're right on that, she could be trying to help me AND make a sale.

This is what I mean though; ok that may be the case, she's genuine in her concern but she's also got a business to keep. What my mind does however is focus on the negative. My mind thinks 'oh they're just wanting to make money they dont care if this helps or not.' Is anybody else trapped in this negative thinking pattern? What do/can you do to help allay these thoughts?