Am I mad for thinking this WRONG!?

Chrysalis

For OVER a year, we have been waiting for someone to come and fix the heater.

Today, a slovenly looking guy rocks up - a SATURDAY - with his two kids!

I don't like people coming to my home really and definately not strangers - especially unannounced.

Mum asked them to take their shoes off - which after a seriously annoyed face was made they did - and the kids plonked themselves down on the couches and kept talking to their Dad the whole time he was 'working'. :mad:

I'm not a 'kid' person either, so to have him not even ASK if they could come in has really angered me.

His unprofessional attitude was astounding to me, and he kept saying 'just make sure you sign the form otherwise I won't get paid' - and Mum eventually had to double check the heater herself and noted that the fan STILL wasn't working - he probably thought she wouldn't notice.

So, long story short, I THINK the heater is fixed, but does anyone else think this scenario was unacceptable?

No notice, a year to wait, on a Saturday with his kids in tow and we're still not sure the heater's fixed!

I'm in my room shaking with fear and anger at what's happened, and I know most people dislike tradesmen, they are a law unto themselves really coming whenever they see fit, but I'm furious at his total lack of respect for OUR home and his definate lack of care whether the appliance was fixed in the end or not.

I don't mind dealing with polite, punctual people who are respectful, but can't get over this man's business practise.
I'd ring and complain if I wasn't so afraid of the phone and could express myself clearly.

I don't really know what to do to calm down as suffering from agoraphobia, my home is my haven and I can't go out often to walk off stress and escape, so that's why I'm careful about who we let in.

This is the only place I have to relax and feel safe in and now I feel it's just been invaded by the tradesman and his disrespectful mob!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

gsmax5

Am I mad for thinking this WRONG!?

Of course not. If I got bad service, from a rude person, I'd be angry too!

You could file a complaint to the Better Business Bureau, through e-mail (I think).

Last edited:

Chrysalis

Thanks gsmax5 for replying :)

Perhaps I could file a complaint via a website.

I just feel silly for getting so worked up about it, but feel so powerless at the moment that it hurts.

Tab

Ya that sounds pretty bad, but maybe there was a reason for it. I donno, if this happened to me ya I'd be mad too but I'd just put it behind me and then I'd call a real repair man. I wouldn't bother filing a complaint, maybe he needs the money or wat ever. Either way, I'd never call him again and find someone else

Bleh

Oh my god!!!!!!! That would make me soo freakin' mad. So no no you are not wrong at all. Some people are totally ridiculous. I don't know if I could tolerate extra people in my house anyways, because I'm such a private person. I don't know. I would probably even yell at them if I got mad enough, or at least ask them to stop being such stupidheads.

Last edited:

Chrysalis

Thanks for replying Psychedelicious :)

I'm a very private person too, so the unannounced 'intrusion' really rattled me.

Glad the heater's finally fixed, but it'll definately make me wary of getting any appliance fixed again.

It's hard enough trying to assert myself outdoors, but I thought my safe space indoors would be ok - wrong again

RedRibbons

Hmm, it seems like he just didn't have somewhere to leave his kids while he worked, and I don't think it's so bad that he brought them with him. He's a dad... Bringing his kids and letting them see him work.. I think that's kind of cute actually.

If you had to wait a year, that's a bit extreme, I mean.. Someone could have taken the initiative 11 and a half months ago to call a repairman that could come the next day?? or a week??

It's not wrong that you feel the way you do.. It might be healthy to try and look at the situation differently.. Or be more proactive the next time a situation like this arises.. Then you won't need to feel so stressed out, and you can have more control over the situation, and be better prepared for someone coming to your house?

thor01

If its fixed now, I'd try and forget about it. But yeah it does sound unprofessional. I get nervous when someone knocks at the door when im not expecting it, and sometimes even when i am expecting it

slimjim119

I hate when people have to come into the house to fix things. It's an invasion of your privacy. Anytime I can fix something myself I do it. I don't understand why it took so long to get a repairman to fix your heater. Usually you can find someone pretty quickly.

I use to help my cousin who is a plumber. He was always professional. He showed up on time and never left a mess. That is ridiculous for a tradesman to bring his kids and show up unexpectedly.

Chrysalis

Thanks everyone for your advice :) greatly appreciated.

I should perhaps explain that the heater was under warranty for 3 years, and it didn't last very long (not the best brand, and it wasn't even used often but all we could afford at the time).

Mum has been ringing the company for MONTHS to try and get someone to come out and attend to things, but she was always put on hold, assured someone one be there soon in the week or fobbed off with some excuse that they couldn't give her an exact time.

Eventually, she gave up ringing about 2 months ago.

Mum's not the most confident or assertive of people either, so I know it was hard for her to keep pestering the company but she pushed through it and did it for us :)

Glad I'm not the only one who fears tradesmen coming to the house, although they should be more professional.

I'll never be dealing with the company again or buying one of their rubbish products :p