Am I a big weenie?

bigrob

I want to go to therapy. I really do. But for some reason my over stimulated mind over rides my common sense and I don't go. I get a bazillion anxiety related questions bouncing in my skull.

Last night my wife said it was like I'm fading away into nonexistence.

Do you think maybe I should ask my wife to go with me? Not only would she encourage me to go, but maybe she will say something that I wouldn't thus making the job of diagnosing me easier.

Or am I just a big weenie for wanting my wife to hold my hand as I go to the doctor?

What would the pros and cons be of having her there for at least the first few times?

market.garden

It doesn't make you a big weenie at all!

You raised some good points about your wife being there, she might encourage you to say something, or say it for you. You don't wanna come out of each therapy session thinking "I forgot to mention this or that".

And if your wife knows about your issues then she'll naturally want to help you through it :)

Danfalc

Banned
Or am I just a big weenie for wanting my wife to hold my hand as I go to the doctor?

What would the pros and cons be of having her there for at least the first few times?

Your not a big weenie at all,after all this is a illness it's not because your a coward.I think it's a great idea to take your wife with you.

-She can prompt you if you get a bit tongue tied
-You will probably feel less anxious over all with her there for support

Pretty much like market garden has already said,it's a win win situation imo.

Remus

Staff member
I had to have somoene take me years back, I had an anxiety in the waiting room, so do it whatever works for you, hopefully you will gain courage with exposure

She's your wife and I'm sure 'in sickness and in health' she will support you if you make the effort to get better

coyote

You're not a weenie at all, bigrob. You're more of a man than most for wanting to get help and including your partner, not hiding it from her or pretending your problems don't exist. Good luck, man!

Danfalc

Banned
and including your partner, not hiding it from her or pretending your problems don't exist.

Yeah this is a good point,also I'm sure it will reassure your wife to see you getting help and she might feel better for that.

ey big fella

respect for actually holding your hands up and saying you want your wife there to help ...

good for you

hopefully others will see this and follow your example if they need someone to go with them.

lyricalliaisons

I think it's definitely a good idea to ask your wife to go with you. It definitely doesn't make you seem like a "weenie" lol.