Agoraphobia?

do you guys have trouble leaving home and going to far out because of panic attacks in the past?

and do any of you who have agoraphobia successfully go to school or work because you were able to overcome it?

Sub-Zero

When I was 21 that was worst year of my life. I couldn't even get out of my house. The only time I would go out was to buy food. I couldn't even walk 5 minutes to the closest grocery shop to buy the food too. Instead I chose to buy food from from a convenient store just behind my apartment since it took only 30 seconds to get there. I'd cover myself as much as possible like wearing my hoodie, hat etc. because I didn't want to be seen. And when at home I wouldn't open my curtains because the sunshine reminded of the outside world. I always had to be in the dark. So yeah it was a very difficult year. I'm 31 now and I can say that I've improved a lot over time but I still have struggles leaving home. But at least I can leave home if I force myself too. I couldn't even do that before. I don't know if I will ever completely heal from social anxiety/agorphobia, but I'm glad that over the years I've slowly improved. I'm sure in time your condition will improve. You're not alone either. I wish you the best.

Iluv

Yes I do sometimes shut down in an agoraphobic way. But it's gotten better, when I got a job I was kind of like forced to socialize with people (since it involves customer service) and it really helped me with it. School still makes it worse though since my ex-friends decide to make it hell for me over ignorance to my problems. But I manage. ! ::p:

yeah i do right now :( I've had them on and off. usually I'm able to ignore them for weeks at a time. but the fear is always there in the back of my head. I just want this to go away. I'm 22. I've had this since I was about 17. I take anti-anxiety meds. but i don't know i don't go too far outside of my house by myself :(. and if i do, i don't feel so good. and i go to school with family or friends. I don't like going alone. what about you guys?do you go to work and school alone?

Nathália

yeah i do right now :( I've had them on and off. usually I'm able to ignore them for weeks at a time. but the fear is always there in the back of my head. I just want this to go away. I'm 22. I've had this since I was about 17. I take anti-anxiety meds. but i don't know i don't go too far outside of my house by myself :(. and if i do, i don't feel so good. and i go to school with family or friends. I don't like going alone. what about you guys?do you go to work and school alone?

I don't feel so good either. The fresh air makes me sick, it feels so vulnerable.

I think it's because I lost alot of weight and I am scared if I have to defend myself I can't. I don't live in a bad place here. I've always been scared of something unknown happening out of no where but back then I had all of my strength so I ignored it and went out despite of.

I don't feel so good either. The fresh air makes me sick, it feels so vulnerable.

I think it's because I lost alot of weight and I am scared if I have to defend myself I can't. I don't live in a bad place here. I've always been scared of something unknown happening out of no where but back then I had all of my strength so I ignored it and went out despite of.

Yeah I know what you mean. I just wanna be able to drive long distances again and do the same stuff i used to do. I can do it but i get a panic attack and it feels like I'm dying and then I'm so tired by the time it's over that I can't focus on the goal i ventured out to accomplish. But I guess if it keeps happening I'll get used to it? like do you guys even try or too scared now?

WeirdyMcGee

I guess my answer would be no to school but yes to work-- but only when I was in highschool with my first bout of severe agoraphobia.
My mom couldn't afford rent without my help, so I worked 3 part time jobs.
The school figured I wasn't coming to class because I was working so much and allowed me to do classwork at home as long as I kept my average up.

So, I didn't go to school because I was too terrified and didn't have any reason to go. No motivation.
I was also terrified of leaving my room to work but was able to go to my jobs regularly just so I could get those paycheques.

Now; my second bout of agoraphobia, I leave home rarely.
It's gotten slightly better since last year or the year before but I don't have a job and I've graduated from highschool, so there's no reason to go.
No money to go back to college, no real 'need' for a college education; so I don't go.
I sometimes wonder if I had a job or if I had classes to go to--- if I could use that motivation to leave home more often or if I'd give up and just stay in my room as always.
...probably give up.
It's become far too emotionally draining to leave my room. Physically, too.
I just can't.

powerfulthoughts

I used to have this problem about 8 years ago. Leaving my city was hell with panic attacks. Fortunately this issue seems to have completely faded away with time. I think that if you keep uncovering your problems and building your confidence, anxiety seems to dissipate. Confidence is the key to overcoming anxiety... the ability to internally depend on yourself in all situations. Growth of the emotions, and also axing away at the root causes of anxiety. There's always hope... there is a way to get better.

speakerheart

hey, ive struggled with agoraphophia on and off since i was 16yrs old.I am 26 yrs old now, and Ive found that medication has helped me alot! I can leave my house and actually go out in public now.Ive gotten alot better compared to a few years ago.There is help.You're not alone.Although, you may feel like you are:S