Afterlife?

Acme

I've seen posts on this board concerning an afterlife. The universe has been fine the last 13 billion or so years before humans existed, and will continue to do fine long after the human species is gone. I don't think the universe has a need or want for an insignificant, self-centered species such as humans to have an afterlife.

For this planet alone, the sooner humans are gone, the better. Earth has been around for about 4 billion years, then humans come along and f*ck it up. Look at how much damage humans have done to this planet and other species in the last 100 years alone - killing it's forests, polluting its air and water, driving who knows how many other species that were here long before humans to extinction, etc., all in the name of greed and self-centeredness. If Earth and other species had a choice, they would've killed off the human species a long time ago, and would've been justified in doing so, so that humans couldn't do anymore damage (such as possible, or maybe more likely probable, nuclear destruction somewhere down the line).

Even if it was possible, who or what would be dumb enough or desperate enough to give humans an afterlife? Why, so that humans could go and f*ck up the afterlife as well just like they f*cked this planet and other species? I doubt that the greed and self-centeredness of humans in the afterlife would diminish much.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm... I don't know. After reading what I just wrote, I don't know if I agree with all of it, or at least in the way that some of it could be perceived to come across. I mean I don't think that all people are bad - think that there are some good people out there. But humans (some, a large percentage, or in general?) are damaging this planet and other species, due to greed and self-centeredness in varying degrees.

In any case, though, I don't think that there is an afterlife. Enjoy the time you have while you can.

"...Told you once about your friends and neighbours
They were always seeking but they'll never find it
It's alright, yes it's alright..."

YouTube - Guns N' Roses - It's Alright (Argentina, 1992)

FOR REAL

Banned
I've seen posts on this board concerning an afterlife. The universe has been fine the last 13 billion or so years before humans existed, and will continue to do fine long after the human species is gone. I don't think the universe has a need or want for an insignificant, self-centered species such as humans to have an afterlife.

For this planet alone, the sooner humans are gone, the better. Earth has been around for about 4 billion years, then humans come along and f*ck it up. Look at how much damage humans have done to this planet and other species in the last 100 years alone - killing it's forests, polluting its air and water, driving who knows how many other species that were here long before humans to extinction, etc., all in the name of greed and self-centeredness. If Earth and other species had a choice, they would've killed off the human species a long time ago, and would've been justified in doing so, so that humans couldn't do anymore damage (such as possible, or maybe more likely probable, nuclear destruction somewhere down the line).

Even if it was possible, who or what would be dumb enough or desperate enough to give humans an afterlife? Why, so that humans could go and f*ck up the afterlife as well just like they f*cked this planet and other species? I doubt that the greed and self-centeredness of humans in the afterlife would diminish much.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm... I don't know. After reading what I just wrote, I don't know if I agree with all of it, or at least in the way that some of it could be perceived to come across. I mean I don't think that all people are bad - think that there are some good people out there. But humans (some, a large percentage, or in general?) are damaging this planet and other species, due to greed and self-centeredness in varying degrees.

In any case, though, I don't think that there is an afterlife. Enjoy the time you have while you can.

i personally think that this is a really great post

Last edited:

scarletlee

I agree, there are a lot of careless people out there that are destructive to this world and yes greed is pretty much where that stems from. Its a sad reality. As for afterlife, i don't think i believe in it. I think we live and die in much the same way as a plant does. Seems natural to me. Eternal life doesn't appeal to me. I don't mean that in a depressing kinda way i just think after a couple hundred years most people would go completely mad and be fed up ( to much thinking time ). Rest has to come at some point.

iamthenra

I'm not sure about an afterlife? I know I have witnessed certain things in my life that are unexplainable enough to warrant the thought of an afterlife. At least in my overly analytical mind...

As far as messing up this planet... Yep, I couldn't agree more with you! For each person that inhabits this planet, that person needs certain things to live. Transportation being one of them. So that person gets a car...has to put gas in it. Andddd where does the gas come from? The planet Earth... When the gas is burned, where does the emissions go???? The air that we need to breathe! When the air gets polluted with all these emissions, those very emissions come down to earth usually with the rain. Acid rain from coal burning power plants mainly, are destroying the forests and waterways...Now that person needs a home.... So we tear down more forests, and have to build more roadways and destroy more of our planet for each added person to this planet. Just one single person, won't make that big of an impact, but when the populations are growing exponentially (like they are now), then it becomes a much bigger impact on the planet. The planet can only take so much, before all the natural resources are depleted and or polluted to the point where the basic resources that sustain life are gone...

FOR REAL

Banned
I'm not sure about an afterlife? I know I have witnessed certain things in my life that are unexplainable enough to warrant the thought of an afterlife. At least in my overly analytical mind...

As far as messing up this planet... Yep, I couldn't agree more with you! For each person that inhabits this planet, that person needs certain things to live. Transportation being one of them. So that person gets a car...has to put gas in it. Andddd where does the gas come from? The planet Earth... When the gas is burned, where does the emissions go???? The air that we need to breathe! When the air gets polluted with all these emissions, those very emissions come down to earth usually with the rain. Acid rain from coal burning power plants mainly, are destroying the forests and waterways...Now that person needs a home.... So we tear down more forests, and have to build more roadways and destroy more of our planet for each added person to this planet. Just one single person, won't make that big of an impact, but when the populations are growing exponentially (like they are now), then it becomes a much bigger impact on the planet. The planet can only take so much, before all the natural resources are depleted and or polluted to the point where the basic resources that sustain life are gone...

aye aye! get to the point curt
after all, im an amateur!! :D

iamthenra

aye aye! get to the point curt
after all, im an amateur!! :D

Yeah, but I am the second coming of the second coming... Not really sure what that means, but hey, it sounds funny!
3760730888_feea0b5d62_o.gif

Thelema

You are correct, the Universe is old and so massive that we can't even see all of it since the Universe expanded faster than the speed of light at the big bang. The light from the distant stars have ONLY had a few measley billion years to get to our telescopes, who knows how much matter is out there.

The Earth is so small to be entirely insignificant. If you said the Earth was a single grain of sand compared to the amount of all the grains of sand in all the oceans, you'd be giving the Earth billions and billions of times more credit than it deserves.

So if we're looking at the top down perspective like you are looking at the human race, we might as well pollute it up, it makes no difference. The Earth is a dime a trillion to the Universe. But I don't think that thinking gets us anywhere.

Our significance or insignificance has nothing to do with whether there is an afterlife or not. Significance is totally irrelevant to the question. And who said the inanimate Universe gets to decide what matters or not? Making decisions is what living beings do.

NormanBates

Living things are made out of non-living things. I still think that as big as the universe is, there's room for possibility that our planet is only part of a blood cell of another living thing. And humans are too small to be able to prove it. Or disprove it

this_portrait

I sort of believe in an afterlife, but I don't really think about it too much. I prefer to live in the present. Maybe when I'm old and dying, then sure, I might think about it, but for now, I won't (too much, anyway).

Thelema

Living things are made out of non-living things. I still think that as big as the universe is, there's room for possibility that our planet is only part of a blood cell of another living thing. And humans are too small to be able to prove it. Or disprove it

I didn't know blood cells began with a big bang :D