Advice on how to deal with rude people and bullies

Okay so I'm one of those people who is very quiet and not very confrontational when it comes to bullies or rude people. Usually if someone is rude to me I just don't say anything or pretend like it never happened. I'm starting to see that this isn't the best approach, because if it's a bully they'll just keep messing with me and if it's some random person being obnoxious to me, I won't say anything and pretend it never happened...but I'll internalize the situation and keep thinking about what I should have said. So I'd like to get advice from all of you on how to handle people like that.

PS: This is my first thread, please be nice.

Hi :)!

Oh I hate dealing with that kind of people, I simply avoid them and not just because of social phobia, the best thing to do is probably to remain calm, not take it personally, I tend to answer them in the same way even-though that makes me a hypocrite.

Or pretend rudeness is their native language, and don't let it affect you because well it's native language and it's how they communicate xD some people have a big ego and like to feel superior to others by treating them in rude way.

sanitariumcalls

Honestly, I used to be violent at them, but when I grew up lol and got into college, I had a lot to lose in that behavior so I stopped acknowledging them completely. It helped that I moved 60 miles away from most of it, but no matter where you go, someone will have something to say.

I do ignore it most of the time, other times, when I have no choice but to face it, I'm indifferent.

Just be strong!

anxiety1408

I'd stop taking notice of them.. You see Im not too great in this field either.. I never know how to deal with rude people or bullies I just try my best to ignore them/avoid them.

IGotSeoul

If it's just a one time thing, you can simply ignore it. Some people are just hard headed and it's not even worth worrying about. However, if somebody is specifically victimizing you on a regular basis to the point where its conflicting with your own self-security, that's when I would suggest standing up for yourself.

For somebody to go out of their way just to try and torment me with the intent of making me feel like crap? I've cracked skulls for less. (not suggesting it!)

Last edited:

Obstacle 1

If it's just a one time thing, you can simply ignore it. Some people are just hard headed and it's not even worth worrying about. However, if somebody is specifically victimizing you on a regular basis to the point where its conflicting with your own self-security, that's when I would suggest standing up for yourself.

For somebody to go out of their way just to try and torment me with the intent of making me feel like crap? I've cracked skulls for less. (not suggesting it!)
I subscribe to this view, I avoid confrontation over one time incidents, I just act cold.. I feel that to show anger or fear in this situation could actually encourage the perp which is not what you want.

But if it is a repeat offence you have to stand up for yourself or get trampled on.

lassokid

For me, it's not so much how I react to them, but how I respond to myself. Sometimes after getting treated badly, we blame ourselves. We feel that we deserved it or we should have said something better, been more confident...etc. I think the way to deal with rude people is what works best for you. For me, I pretty much do my best to relax and have a "blank mind." I think everyone is entitled to their opinions and so they should have their say. Since not everything they say is correct, I don't have to feel bad about myself. Every human being has to die. I will, that rude person will too, so what's so special about him/her? I make mistakes, but I learn too. I'm just doing my best. :cool:

coyote

good advice from a boss once:

just accept the fact that you're going to run into at least one rude jerk each day

then, have fun with it - make it a game

when a person comes up and is rude to you, you can say, "Aha- so you're the one!" (it helps to be as cheery as possible)

if they ask you what you mean - you can explain

that shuts 'em up - or not

at least you've got it out of your system

and you can go on about your day

Last edited:
This kind of reminds me of boot camp where we have to ignore and accept the instructor's tough love and turn into something good for us to make us stronger

what doesn't kill us makes us stronger they say

I also use sarcasm with these people and try to hit their huge ego, it's so big so it's hard to miss.