Advice/Help

medlam

Hi all

I've been suffering with HH for a long time,Saturday I had a panic attack or something like that,kept on thinking about HH ruining my life and I that I have to do something.

Today I went to the doctor (NHS.UK) when he asked what was wrong I totally broke down, I explained that it's HH has made my life difficult and that I want help, he picked up on signs of depression but anyone with personal/health issues is going to be depressed a bit aren't they ?

He seems like a good guy and he believes its a anxiety issue rather than physical like diabetes or over active thyroid. He's recommended therapy and that I go on 40mg propranolol, one a day for 2 weeks and go back and see him.

Whats people experience with propranolol ?
Is this an anxiety Problem,a mental issue ?
What's the Uk or NHS like at dealing with HH?
Has therapy helped anyone?
Have your told your family, partners or parents ?

I feel relieved about speaking to someone and that half the battle is admiting the problem and trying to overcome it.

I appreciate any help,advice or feedback
Many thanks

NickM

I believe that most of us HH sufferers have a physiological reason for the excessive sweat. However, the degree of sweating is greatly affected by our minds. Try breathing exercises and relaxing and think about positive things. It won't cure your HH by any means but you will feel better and sweat less while you are in a state of relaxation. Maybe doing that sort of thing can make an impact in the long run, maybe not. What do you have to lose in trying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

medlam

Thanks NickM much appreciated.Anyone out there have any advice about propanolol ? Did some blood tests today aswell been feeling funny recently hope I find some answers.

medlam

Hi guys

Another quick question todo with working.Im trying to tackle this problem head on,I also recently quit smoking weed,which is giving me some strange feelings of despair ir anxiety.I feel low and believe working or keeping my mind active is the best cure. I want to work and be active but HH has made this difficult and narrowed down my options for working.

Do you guys have good jobs?
How do live/work with HH?

I'm desperate to get back to normal, working and so******ing will help , but these are also two things ive been hiding from for a long time and feel I've lost faith in being happy and successfull.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

NickM

I find I don't mind my HH when I'm working hard doing manual labor jobs. Construction, digging, clearing brush, etc... They all make me forget about the HH and the sweat is actually good for those jobs to keep you cool! Also, did you start sweating more when you quit smoking weed?

hyp-hi

Propranolol sounds familiar. I think i tried that early on for anxiety but did not stick with it for very long. As for a job with HH, it can be tough. I recommend jobs where you don't have to interact with people that much just because it lowers the stress level. There are even work from home opportunities available. They don't pay that much but it does make working more comfortable. I used to be a delivery driver and that was pretty good for HH because you are on your own most of the time and are on the move. I also worked in a school setting which was a lot more challenging with HH. You just have to put yourself in a situation where you will feel comfortable.

Sprawling

I find that PHENIBUT seems to work with relaxing the nervous system and my sweating decreases on the days that I use it.

medlam

Hi all

So all my blood tests came back fine, liver,thyroid,diabetes,kidneys loads of things apparently.Im relived in one sense but still desperate to find out what's causing HH. The doctor has perscribed 'Hyoscine butylbromide 10mg' two tablets to be taken 4 times a day.Seems a lot, anyone have any Experince with this ? Also seeing a psychiatrist not sure What to expect but HH has caused me so many problems im willing to try anything.

Again any advice or your experinece on Therapy or Hyoscine butylbromide would be much appreciated.
Many thanks

Jezza

Didn't work for me

Difficult to say...I used to think it wasn't, but now I'm not so sure. However I can only seeing it being a mental issue as in mental stress that has build up slowly over the years that sets the body on a way to a constant state of stress/fight-flight response. I don't see much scope for treatment just on the mental side being affected as for most with HH the 'vicious circle' of anxiety-sweat sweat-anxiety andsoforth has been going on for so long that the body is just 'locked' in that state. IMO the only hope is still finding a way to alieviate the sweating so much that it isn't an issue anymore and probably then the anxiety can be attacked as well.

Don't know...Netherlands here. From what I've read though it's pretty ok, hospitals do more with ionto in the UK and also glycopyrrolate is available in the UK on the NHS as opposed to most european countries where it isn't. This drug is an anticholinergic that doesn't readily cross the brain/blood barrier and is helpful for some either as a daily dose or 'as per needed'.

Therapy as in shrink? Than no...also haven't tried it but from pretty much all accounts I've read it doesn't work at least not in curing HH.

Well while HH is quite hideable as long as one doesn't touch anyone or wears bright colors over sweaty areas ultimately you'd have to be fairly detached from parents and siblings not to have them know so yes, they know about it...In my case it resulted more in twosided aggrevation more than anything else for several reasons, but generally people just don't/can't get what it means to have this each day every day. That's not a dramatic statement, that's just reality...sad thing is if I didn't have HH and someone would tell me they have it and what it means I myself probably also couldn't escape thinking they're probably just nervy creatures who exaggerate their difficulties...That's just the PR problem this affliction still has unfortunatlly. Results may vary across different parents of course. I haven't bothered with extended family, that's mostly the domain of my parents anyway so chances are between them not likely to get it and my parents giving their own views it would be a fruitless endeavour anyway. I told a few but not all of my friends in a very matter of fact kind of way without really talking about it. I guess I'm a typical dude that way, I don't really think about my HH as a 'secret' but at the same time I don't feel the need to showcase or talk about it IRL...thought about it a couple of times but IMO it would just lead to awkwardness that does nothing to make me any less sweaty in the end, seems exhausting. But again this can be different for everyone I guess. As for GF, don't have one...HH and all that comes with it kinda killed that for me. Not saying it's not possible, but well...it definitely complicates things a great deal. I'm not sure what you mean with telling a S.O. you have HH, cause if you do stuff S.Os do and you have HH, there's no real option not to tell.

medlam

Thanks Jezza really appreciate your advice and experience. Do you have full body HH? Do you use any medication ? Thanks for your help

Jezza

Thanks Jezza really appreciate your advice and experience. Do you have full body HH? Do you use any medication ? Thanks for your help

Yep and nope. That is I have a strip of vagantin (methanteline, an anticholinergic similar to probanthine often prescribed in Germany) left here and I very occassionally use it for a social event eventhough it's kind of hit and miss for me in terms of how well it works. I almost never use it these days but coincidentally a couple of weeks ago I gave it another try, but was once again dissapointed by its lack of effect. I'm kind of convinced anticholinergics isn't really the answer though. I have a few ideas left but at this point there's a bit of a mental barrier to even call the GP's office...Even if the times I've been there for HH can be counted on one hand every year for the last few years they're not really looking forward to hear the next thing I want to try (when in fact it should be there duty to look into what could possibly help...but well, HH and the healthcare system, as we know it's usually not the best marriage).

One thing I'm interested in now is seeing what we in the Netherlands call a 'throat-nose-and-ears' spe******t (edit; it's just wrong how that is filtered ;)). I recently read this article: Mechanisms and controllers of eccrine sweating in humans. It's about the current understanding of the pathway of eccrine sweating in humans. It's not that elaborate, but one thing that caught my eye there was that 'brain temperature' rather than 'body temperature' is one of the factors that influences eccrine sweating. Then I started to think a bit about brain temperature and googled what affects it. One of the things that came up was nosebreathing and the air from the sinusses kind of working like radiator to cool the brain. Somewhere there was a pic of a cutout of the sphenoid sinus in particular that is very close to the hypothalamus. Anyway, I've always had trouble with being able to breath through my nose, I pretty much can't or at least not good enough to not need to start breathing through my mouth again after a few minutes to get enough air. I also definitely have aerosinusitis (excruciating pain in my head when a plane lands). This is believed to be caused by air being trapped in the sinusses and the air pressure difference when landing; it does not happen when air can escape. I know quite a lot of people with HH have allergies etc as well. So I was thinking what if this radiator function doesn't work cause the airways are too narrow/clogged...Could it be like one of the old school air-cooled engines from 911s of days past (car reference there...my bad). Without proper cooling those engines overheat as well and a few degrees makes tons of difference in the human body.

Anyway...I know this is once again a (really) long shot but as someone with HH anything that has some logic to it demands checking out in my book...sadly though...the GP will see me coming a mile off and think 'meh...he'll live'.

Last edited:

NickM

Jezza, I really believe HH is due to a genetic mutation. From what I've seen, most experts believe it's totally genetic. If that's true, our only true hope for a cure will be found in gene therapy. Until someone somehow disproves this, that is what I will believe.

Englishman

I don't think we will ever find a cure for HH in my lifetime. Sweating is too much of a complex function.

NickM

How old are you? I have good reason to disagree. Search on google 'Albert Einstein school of medicine hyperhidrosis genetic study' and read up on that. You might be well surprised!

Jezza

Jezza, I really believe HH is due to a genetic mutation. From what I've seen, most experts believe it's totally genetic. If that's true, our only true hope for a cure will be found in gene therapy. Until someone somehow disproves this, that is what I will believe.

Even if it is from a genetic mutation, that really doesn't mean gene therapy is the only hope. If we understand the complete chain from first impulse to sweat gland we can target any point in the chain to stop the HH. This is what already happens for instance with ETS (of course in a way too crude manner) by cutting the sympathetic nerve and with anticholinergics by inhibiting acetylcholine. We just need to find something in the chain that can be eliminated dependably and without as many side effects...the closer to the end of the chain the better.

NickM

Even if it is from a genetic mutation, that really doesn't mean gene therapy is the only hope. If we understand the complete chain from first impulse to sweat gland we can target any point in the chain to stop the HH. This is what already happens for instance with ETS (of course in a way too crude manner) by cutting the sympathetic nerve and with anticholinergics by inhibiting acetylcholine. We just need to find something in the chain that can be eliminated dependably and without as many side effects...the closer to the end of the chain the better.

What you're saying makes sense, but who knows how long said 'chain' really is? You could be right, but what it eliminating a link in the chain isn't a safe treatment? Maybe it will be, but if not gene therapy is where the cure will lie... IMO.

Englishman

How old are you? I have good reason to disagree. Search on google 'Albert Einstein school of medicine hyperhidrosis genetic study' and read up on that. You might be well surprised!

I'm 20. Can you post a link to the study? I can't seem to find it...

NickM

I'm 20. Can you post a link to the study? I can't seem to find it...

There are no publications yet. You can find basic info about it through google searches. Try searching google for 'hyperhidrosis genetic study Albert Einstein.' Filter through that to get an idea. You can find brief info and actually get info on participation on the International Hyperhidrosis Society's website:

http://www.sweathelp.org/en/taking-...-2/participate-in-a-trial/genetics-study.html

Also, there is a thread on this forum discussing this matter.

http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/research-opportunities-genetics-of-hyperhidrosis-study-19399/

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

savagewisdom

Hi all

I've been suffering with HH for a long time,Saturday I had a panic attack or something like that,kept on thinking about HH ruining my life and I that I have to do something.

Today I went to the doctor (NHS.UK) when he asked what was wrong I totally broke down, I explained that it's HH has made my life difficult and that I want help, he picked up on signs of depression but anyone with personal/health issues is going to be depressed a bit aren't they ?

He seems like a good guy and he believes its a anxiety issue rather than physical like diabetes or over active thyroid. He's recommended therapy and that I go on 40mg propranolol, one a day for 2 weeks and go back and see him.

I feel relieved about speaking to someone and that half the battle is admiting the problem and trying to overcome it.

I appreciate any help,advice or feedback
Many thanks

What is HH?
Hiatal Hernia?
If I'm wrong, whoops. Enlighten me.
I apparently have one. I was diagnosed 3 years ago. I don't suffer too much from it. I have taken Propranolol. The doctor thought I had POTS (but in reality I think he was all gun ho about it because his daughter has the condition and wanted to be a super hero and be like, eh yo, I diagnosed a condition that many people wouldn't have because of my daughter, eyyyy oooo!) and prescribed me the beta blocker Propranolol. I experienced having my veins dilate and numbness in the legs. Not a great side-effect to have. It did slow my heart rate down, so I suppose it helped a bit with controlling the physical aspects of anxiety. (I suffered from daily panic attacks that lasted all day).