A Strange Hyperhydrosis Story!!! Please Read

tictac

Hey People... I Finally got the permission to post this thread. I've been dying to tell this Story.

I first noticed I had sweaty hands and feet back in high school about 10 years ago.. I'm now 22 and it seems to have gotten worse... till i started using Idrostar, driclor etc. HH still hinders my daily activities but ive learned to live with it. Now what I really wanna share with you guys is my experience with meeting other HH sufferers.

I have so far met 3 guys in the past four years with severe HH. I have been romantically involved with 2 of them. The third guy , i went on a date and we lost contact cos i had to come back to UK from my internship. I am dating one of the other two at the moment. I did not meet any of these guys on hyperhydrosislove.com ! lol so I find this a somewhat bizarre coincidence as the stats tell us that its 1% of the population. Im thinking what are the odds.

When I first met my current boyfriend, i suspected he did have HH cos I noticed he would avoid touching, hide his hands away and fold them. Just like me! I still wasnt certain, and i was well relieved that he wasnt noticing my sweaty hands too.
We have a long distance relationship so i dont see him that often. I went to london last weekend, spending the whole weekend with him made me realise that he does have HH. The amazing thing about him is that unlike me, he still sometimes touches me with his colds hands while i would never. He doesnt even know that its a condition. Last week saturday when we were in the underground (subway) with a mutual friend, he took out his palms all sweaty and showed us "look at my hands, theyre always sweaty". His friend was like whoa... But didnt go all disgusted. I just kept quiet and acted surprised. Cos at this point he didnt know that I have the same problem.

When i got back to Uni, I called him and told him i had the same problem, bla bla and idrostar is fantastic and wud help him. Surprisingly, he didnt even sound excited, nor has he ever asked about me for more info on the idrostar or solutions or whatever since then. I'm guessing he's learned to live with his HH, which is very strange compared to how it has controlled my life and still is.

I'd like to hear your comments on this.

Nicholas

I'd like to hear your comments on this.

I'm afraid my comments are going to be the same as usual...
in short: I've heard a lot of stories about people with palmar HH who didn't let their HH problem interfere with their lives. However, I have yet to hear a similar story about someone who has generalized HH or has facial HH anyway. I have generalized HH and I have yet to find any young people whose lives haven't been ruined by this problem.
Every case of HH is different, some are severe, others are not. If a slightly sweaty hand hasn't been a problem so far for that guy, then good for him. Other HH sufferers are not that lucky.

overcome.

Thanks for sharing your story. It's worth a read and is surely interesting, and what a coincidence, heh. I guess everybody's different.

I believe that I suffer with palmar HH, they're normally always soaking wet it seems. I suffer with bad anxiety/panic problems, and this triggers off sweating in other places, my face and my back.

The palmar HH, or even if you'd like to call it a symptom of anxiety (which started when I was about 13-14 - now 19) can be hard to deal with. Over time though, I've learnt to deal with it. The facial/back sweating though, I'm having a hard time with. Palmar sweating wasn't the main contributor for me from working for 7 months, but facial sweating has been and has had a tremendous impact on my work and social life. Seeing as it's the most noticable form of sweating since it's on your forehead, and the fact that you conceal it like you may often be able to with your hands, it's damn hard to deal with. Anticipating it more increases the anxiety. I'm taking beta blockers now, which help a small amount, but my back as well, a huge inconvenience.

I won't ramble on, I just wanted to agree with the post above, and at the same time comment that I enjoyed reading your post. It's not something you read every day, considering in theory it's 1% of the population who have these problems.

Last edited:

SweatParty

That is a funny story and pretty amazing that you're meeting and dating fellow HH sufferers. I've never met a girl in my life who has it, or at least I've never discovered it if they actually had it. One of my close friends seems to have clammy/cold hands about 50% of the time I shake his hand. But I know his problem isn't too bad -- never seen his hands dripping like mine do.

I just started getting more info on HH and discovering new HH message boards this weekend (I used to be on another one on MSN Groups about 7-8 years ago but it closed). So while reading your post, I actually thought that hyperhydrosislove.com might be a real website! Unfortunately it seems that's not the case, lol :(

But anyway I think it's clear that palmar HH is affecting your boyfriend's life -- you said that he avoided touching and hid his hands. So that's some negative stuff right there. Maybe he is too embarassed to act interested in hearing about treatment options. Did you tell him how HH affects you?

Also, is Irdostar the only iontophoresis machine you've used? How is it working out for you? I've never used an ionto maching but really think I should try it based on some success stories I've been reading on these forums.

Thanks, and feel free to share more funny HH stories. I'm easily amused by them. Our problem is very serious but is also so ridiculous and sometimes I just have to try to think it's funny (I can do that while sitting comfortably at home, actually with perfectly dry hands at the moment... but it's not so funny when they're dripping and I'm at work or somewhere).

tictac

I'm afraid my comments are going to be the same as usual...
Every case of HH is different, some are severe, others are not. If a slightly sweaty hand hasn't been a problem so far for that guy, then good for him. Other HH sufferers are not that lucky.

I totally agree with what you're saying, I couldnt argue in a situation when one is sweating all over the body. In my case , I sweat on my hand, feet and underarms, so its not as noticable as say the face or even all over. Even he has severe HH, so much so that his palms are sorta discoloured. I was just surprised that he took out his hands all soaking wet and showed us.... Id rather die than do that. HH is a big issue for me as well, I wudnt go as far as saying it has ruined my life cos there are much worse things out there....

What treatments are u using? I recently started using DRICLOR, for like 4 days now, and it seems to be working. Dont know if you've tried it ? I really dont what the cons are for using it on ur face, cos its a strong liquid....

tictac

That is a funny story and pretty amazing that you're meeting and dating fellow HH sufferers. I've never met a girl in my life who has it, or at least I've never discovered it if they actually had it. One of my close friends seems to have clammy/cold hands about 50% of the time I shake his hand. But I know his problem isn't too bad -- never seen his hands dripping like mine do.

I just started getting more info on HH and discovering new HH message boards this weekend (I used to be on another one on MSN Groups about 7-8 years ago but it closed). So while reading your post, I actually thought that hyperhydrosislove.com might be a real website! Unfortunately it seems that's not the case, lol :(

But anyway I think it's clear that palmar HH is affecting your boyfriend's life -- you said that he avoided touching and hid his hands. So that's some negative stuff right there. Maybe he is too embarassed to act interested in hearing about treatment options. Did you tell him how HH affects you?

Also, is Irdostar the only iontophoresis machine you've used? How is it working out for you? I've never used an ionto maching but really think I should try it based on some success stories

Lol @ hyperhydrosislove.com. Did u try checking it out? When I told him about my HH and treatments, it was a rather awkward and quick convo. We agreed on how annoying it cud b with handshakes etc. I just think he is pretty laid back about it cos at age 29, he doesnt even know its a "condition" nor has he ever looked it up or seen some1 about. And considering ow bad his HH is, I thought he wud jump at the slightest solution that was offered. I wanted to lend him my Idrostar, but we havent talked about it since then....

And yes, Idrostar does work to some degree, but its all about the hard water, soft water issue. I first bought it in 2008, dat summer was d best summer of my HH life, I had a job in d city, shaking clients with ease and everything seemed fine. But when i moved back to uni in nottingham, it just slowly wore off. And since then it hasnt been totally effective, I think its d water situation or hopefully d machine is faulty. Ive sent it away to be checked by the manufacturers.

Meanwhile, I really think you should try Ionoto... Try and see if you can get free treatments first. ( You can in the UK) , then if it works, you might have to fork out up to £300. You could try Driclor. I bought it about 5 days ago, and it seems to be working.
What country do u live in?

tictac

@ Overcome. Thanks for reading. I really hope Im not sounding like a Driclor sales person. But I think you should try it, but i guess its effectiveness varies from person to person. I first used it in 2007/2008. I really should av read the instructions. Cos then I thought it was a "use as and when needed" sorta thing. I later read you have to apply at night before going to bed.... and its reducing d claminess. At least ive started shaking other people at uni now....

Nicholas

What treatments are u using? I recently started using DRICLOR, for like 4 days now, and it seems to be working. Dont know if you've tried it ? I really dont what the cons are for using it on ur face, cos its a strong liquid....

I am trying nothing... mainly because I'm not willing to put crap all over my face and head, because I like to train pretty hard and I think I have to sweat on my head when I exercise. Facial HH is not easy to treat anyway.

HH Assassin

Part of me is like "this guy is weird" and the other part is like "you go!" How could he never really suffer while having this condition? Does he not realize that people think it's totally gross? haha...Either he is just totally aloof or he just doesn't care. It would be much better if he could understand the kind of distress you go through.

You should dig a little deeper...for my sake...cause I'm very curious.

haha j/k

BTW, you should totally start hyperhidrosislove.com...you'd make tons of money. If you don't do it, I will. ;) LOL

tictac

@ HH Assassin.... your comment was well funny.... made my day.
I really think he is infact aloof, and doesnt know that ''people might find it gross''. i personally avnt witnessed any1 being grossed out by gifted hands.. well mayb behind my back! ive decided im gonna get him driclor and force it on him.... driclor seems to b working for me at d mo.... totally forgotten bout my idrostar machine......

SweatParty

driclor seems to b working for me at d mo.... totally forgotten bout my idrostar machine......

Driclor for your feet or hands?

Thanks.

BTW it's been getting warmer here lately so I've used Odaban on the underarms for a few nights. Works really great, and so easy to use. I'm trying to figure out the next move for my hands, whether ionto, or some Drysol/Dryclor or other topical cream/spray/liquid/whatever. I want to try ionto but I want to find out if I can get my insurance to pay for it (in USA) before I buy a $500+ machine online shipped from Europe.

tictac

Hey dude... Ive been using Driclor for mainly my hands, and the sides of my feet - where the ionto water cant reach.... Its been working for me, not 100% tho.. i wud say bout 75 - 80% effective... but very effective if uve got underarm HH

HH Assassin

Hey dude... Ive been using Driclor for mainly my hands, and the sides of my feet - where the ionto water cant reach.... Its been working for me, not 100% tho.. i wud say bout 75 - 80% effective... but very effective if uve got underarm HH

How's ionto working for you, tic tac?

BTW what flavor tic tac would you consider yourself? ::p:

tictac

@ HH Assassin... It worked really well at first, then i moved - my new place probably doesnt have ionto friendly water, so it wasnt working at some point.... i sent it for repairs cos d warranty was gonna expire soon ( Just wanted to be sure, i wasnt gonna spend another £300 odd anytime soon) I havent used it since it came back tho - cos driclor has been kinda effective, especially indoors. Although my hands are still cold, theyre never wet.

If I were really a tictac, i think i wud want to be strawberry flavored.... ( U weirdo..):D lol

its funny how "lol" makes it okay for me to call u a weirdo.. lol

IhateHH

^ hey strawberry flavored tictac :). I think the water ph makes a difference but your body should adjust if you keep up the treatments. Kinda like reconditioning your body to the new currents. Also i find it strange that your hands are cold but not sweaty. When my ionto started taking effect, my feet felt like little electric buzzes cuz it wanted to sweat but it didnt. BUT, heres the weird part, my feet would be cold too.... i wonder if everyone gets this feeling after using ionto.

tictac

Yeah i do still get the "pins and needles" feeling on my hands and feet even though i havent had an ionto treatment for two months now. I think im gonna start a new routine again. I spend most of the day in an airconditioned area, prior to using driclor, my hands would be really sweaty and clammy, i wasnt able to write properly and stuff, but now its just cold which is a little less frustrating, so if i ever shake someone unexpectedly, they wud probably be thinking why my hand is cold rather than wet... yuk!!

SweatParty

So you use the roll-on Driclor for your hands? Do you then have to cover your hands with a plastic glove or something like that while sleeping? I can only find it at online pharmacies such as the following:

Driclor - ExpressChemist.co.uk - Buy Online

Driclor Roll-On for Excessive Sweating, £3.90, Buy at Discount Prices

I tried Drysol for my hands about 10 years ago but it did nothing for me. I already have Odaban for my underarms which works so great and is the same ingredient (aluminum chloride) as Driclor so maybe I should just try spraying it on my hands at night.

Thanks!

tictac

i think you should try it again.... ur not supposed to cover ur hands with anything tho. It should dry out by itself.. usually does quite quickly anyway...