a little help here

NothingElseMatters

This is a stupid question that's why i am posting it in the off topic.I'd appreciate an answer from someone who knows though...

Can a pathologist prescribe antidepressants?
The reason i am asking is because i am thinking that i need to take a step forward and do something for my depression.But i am too cautious about doctors cause many of them have no clue. My aunt is a pathologist though and is a person i feel i can trust but i want to know if it's worth taking the risk and talking to her in order to prescribe me some meds.

I've done some research on the net but i didn't find anything that can help me

iamthenra

This is a stupid question that's why i am posting it in the off topic.I'd appreciate an answer from someone who knows though...

Can a pathologist prescribe antidepressants?
The reason i am asking is because i am thinking that i need to take a step forward and do something for my depression.But i am too cautious about doctors cause many of them have no clue. My aunt is a pathologist though and is a person i feel i can trust but i want to know if it's worth taking the risk and talking to her in order to prescribe me some meds.

I've done some research on the net but i didn't find anything that can help me

I do not believe that a pathologist can prescribe any medication. I know what you mean about trusting doctors. What I did, is I kept trying different doc's until I found one that I can persuade into giving me the medications that I want, based on my conditions.... I mean, my doc knows that I am depressed and I have anxiety. So I suggest to him that I need Celexa at 20mg for a 90 day supply because that is what my insurance will cover, and I get the most for my money.... Anyways, that is what I did. My doc is a pushover, so maybe that is what you need to do??? IDK... Good luck!:D

NothingElseMatters

tnx for the reply!I've also been adviced to talk to a psychologist before taking any meds and i am gonna do it when i have the chance.When i decide to take the meds i am gonna do what you did and decide myself what i am gonna take.Of course it takes a lot of research but it's serious staff

Remus

Staff member
GPs can prescribe them, you usually get reffered to a psychiatrist though. (in UK that is)

iamthenra

Do you know which meds work for you? I say this, because you can do all that research and start taking the drugs that you want, but if it doesn't work in your body, then you will want to try other medications until you find one that works for you. I say this because I have tried almost all of the antidepressant class drugs. IE: Prozac, zoloft, Effexor XR, Wellbutrin, Cellexa, Lexapro etc... So you might be better off asking for "sample" supplies from your general MD, which usually are free. Free to try from the pharmaceutical lab that produces the drug. That is what my MD does... The psychiatrist is a MD, and is the only one in the field of mental health that can prescribe drugs. A Physician Assistant (PA) can prescribe medications as well. I'm not sure where you are from, but here in the states that is all I know of... As for finding the right drug for you, it's all trial and error. You have to take the meds for at least 2 weeks before you can accurately gauge how it is working for you. For instance my sister found Zoloft to work the best for her, while Cellexa works the best for me, and my mom uses Effexor XR... So it definitely varies from individual to individual.

NothingElseMatters

Do you know which meds work for you? I say this, because you can do all that research and start taking the drugs that you want, but if it doesn't work in your body, then you will want to try other medications until you find one that works for you.

I don't really know what meds would work cause i haven't tried any.But i've done a little research on the net in the past few days.And i decided that instead of antidepressands i am gonna go for vitamins.And to be more specific B vitamins cause i've read that they play a big part in the function of the nervous system.I am going to make an expirement with that and i will see what will happen.