A list of things that can lessen/treat social anxiety

Toomuchfear

Hey guys, I thought it would be interesting and helpful if we pulled our life experiences together, and made a list of things that have helped fight or lessened effects of Social Anxiety, whether that be even the slightest breakthrough.

- Taking up a public speaking course. I took up this course out of my desperation of wanting to finally coming out of my shell. It let me get used to a group of people listening to my voice, and the attention to be focused on me. The other students gave the time to listen to me, of which I was not used to. It also gives me feedback on how to communicate better.
- Befriending someone with a mental disability. I have a disabled friend, and he never ever judges the way I communicate, my image, he would never ignore or interrupt me like the rudeness of others. He enables me to practice speaking and ramble on about rubbish, and he lets me be myself.

- Befriending someone with a mental disability. I have a disabled friend, and he never ever judges the way I communicate, my image, he would never ignore or interrupt me like the rudeness of others. He enables me to practice speaking and ramble on about rubbish, and he lets me be myself.

Yes, so true. I've experienced this with elderly people, as well.

D

deleted user 1

I think it basically comes down to exposition. We don't need to learn how to be a normal functioning human being, we already know these things. We just need to stop inhibiting ourselves. The only way to achieve that is through exposition. Though, we need to be ready to do so, being pressured into it is as good as a death sentence. Easier said than done, I know lol.

I respect your proactive measures to deal with this. Your public speaking course is something I particularly admire. I could never do that. Befriending someone with a mental disability can be a two way remedy, it's a very good idea. Especially they often don't get the attention they deserve.

Phoenixx

^ This exactly! There's a kid in my class who has a pretty bad hearing disability, so he wears a hearing aid. He also doesn't talk the clearest, I'm guessing, due to the hearing problem. I'm not best friends with him, but I talk to him quite a bit and he's really nice. And not once has he ever judged me, whether it's the way I talk, how I look, etc.

P.S. - Just realized this says mental disablity. Well, I'm sure the same still applies to others who have different disabilities.

dean01

i think theres quite a few things to help with anxiety that get overlooked by doctors in the uk when diagnosed with sa. from my personal experience i found that there was a lack of information avalable from my doctor. i had to learn things for myself which took time and effort. after being prescribed paroxetine on my first appointment i learnt that meds were supposed to be a last option and declined to take them opting for the natural option.
ii started taking vitamin b complex the calming vitamin as it was refered to me, i also take rescue remedy to help me sleep, i find at least 30 mins excercise a day helps too, eating little and often has taken away the problem of trying to eat one main meal which i could never finish aswell.
there all simple things but they can sometimes take the edge off for me.