5- htp

Dave1989

Anyone tried this? Apparently it helps to increase serotonin levels ( low levels are linked to things such as depression, anxiety etc) and after a couple of weeks of trying you really start to feel a difference. I've just ordered some but obviously would like to see if anyone has had any experiences with it?

Feathers

Dave, there's a thread in the OCD sub-forum.. maybe more.. maybe around August this year? Someone has tried it.. I think she said she had good experience, I did wonder about some other things she was reporting, if she could have any side-effects from it..
Not sure if the search on this site will bring it up, you could google it and see what other people say on other forums too?

Personally, I prefer food/tweaking nutrition... like some foods naturally have the stuff that you eat 5-htp for, if I remember it right.. there's lots about this online, even in Wikipedia I think, and I wrote about it in another thread methinks.. (too sleepy now and it's too late to find it though lol..)

If you do try it and it works well, do tell us about it!

Last edited:

Dave1989

Dave, there's a thread in the OCD sub-forum.. maybe more.. maybe around August this year? Someone has tried it.. I think she said she had good experience, I did wonder about some other things she was reporting, if she could have any side-effects from it..
Not sure if the search on this site will bring it up, you could google it and see what other people say on other forums too?

Personally, I prefer food/tweaking nutrition... like some foods naturally have the stuff that you eat 5-htp for, if I remember it right.. there's lots about this online, even in Wikipedia I think, and I wrote about it in another thread methinks.. (too sleepy now and it's too late to find it though lol..)

thanks ill try and find it now :)

KiaKaha

Banned
I hadnt even heard about this until I saw this thread. I have been reading reviews about it and it sounds pretty amazing. I was sold pretty much right away and have ordered some online. Cant wait to try it..

royalx60

Anyone tried this? Apparently it helps to increase serotonin levels ( low levels are linked to things such as depression, anxiety etc) and after a couple of weeks of trying you really start to feel a difference. I've just ordered some but obviously would like to see if anyone has had any experiences with it?

Yes dave1989 I have. I was on 100mg of 5HTP for about 9 months. At first it interfered with the Zoloft I was on. When I was off Zoloft I tolerated it well. Some people say it does nothing some people swear by it. The research makes sense. Though I'm not sure of the therapuetic effects it had on me. I'm off of it now but because of so many success stories I wouldn't discourage someone from trying it under the wing of your doctor. You can get it cheap at vitacost.com.

Dave1989

Just a quick update.

Started taking it about 4 days ago. Been taking one before bed and two half an hour before breakfast on a morning, definately seems to help regulate my mood and i get to sleep a lot easier and sleep more soundly. Will post another update after a few weeks of taking it.

black soul

I might give it a try myself. First off I've just ordered Lithium Orotate so I'll try that first.

Please keep us updated Dave. :)

Dave1989

Nearly finished my first bottle, i would highly reccommend it to be honest, obviously its not a complete fix but it does help with the physical symptoms which in turn makes it easier to carry out cbt excersises etc. I do experience nausea as a side effect from time to time but its tolerable and it passes after an hour or so.

jus

Took it before I was put on Fluoxetine, and to be honest I think that it only worked because I wanted it to work.

Yeah I would agree with that. Same thing for me. Also the same when i used 'pro stress max vitamin b' or whatever its called (basicaly a more pure source of all the vit b's) works for 2-3 days but its all pychological. I guess everyone is differant though.. =)

A group of us did an experiemtn with this years ago. After a night out at a club having pills :p we were all obviously depressed the next few days.. 5htp didnt seem to change anyones mood which was surprising as you'd imagine when the serotonine is that low a spike would of made a noticable differance, even temporarily.

Last edited:

black soul

My order arrived a few days. Those of you taking these, how many per day are you taking to have any effect? My pills are 100mg.

EscapeArtist

I think it does no good to cover up the root cause of your serotonin deficiency, even if you do have a tryptophan deficiency (I believe 5htp is converted to tryptophan in the body) then more likely you are having trouble absorbing tryptophan from food. I agree with feathers, food is normally the culprit when dealing with low serotonin levels.

I use 5htp. Ooo, contradictory? Well. I know the foods that zap my serotonin levels, and it puts me in a 'void' for a few days. If I accidentally eat one of these foods, I do turn to 5htp and it actually DOES help me! I feel, not as happy as normal serotnin-leveled-me, but, uplifted, more energy to do things, and less appetite. (Low serotonin levels can be to blame for craving unnatural foods that temporarily boost serotonin, though these foods come with the cost of a serotonin crash afterwards). I also hear that if you take 5htp at night, it will be converted to melatonin and you will have sound sleep, as serotonin does assist with that as well. Again, if you are an insomniac, there IS a root cause to look for, but if you're too tired to function or care then it will help. Though, some people get the side effect of insomnia, so if this is you then take it in the morning and you will most likely still convert serotonin>melatonin when night rolls around.

I have also tried taking 5htp when I'm not eating the foods that harm my serotonin levels, and what happens is I get angry, depressed, and zombie-like. (Then again this could have been because I was taking too much at that time, but I believe that if you take it for more than 4 weeks and still get this effect, then you do not need this).

So, 5htp can help. If you are hopelessly stuck give it a try, and look into the TRUE cause while you have the energy/uplift, because 5htp won't work forever and finding the TRUE cause is the only thing that will.

There is a tolerance with this. I'd also start with a low dose. Some people online suggest 100-300mg, don't do that to yourself, you may have side effects not unlike other anti-depressants, including increased depression.. I was taking 200mg (I thought my pills were 100s, WOOPS... just discovered that now actually) and for a day I felt like a zombie with no feelings, increased suicidal thoughts. Start with something low, even 10-25mg every 2nd or 3rd day (you don't need it every day) to introduce it to your body first, and up it to 50 when you feel comfortable. Stay there awhile and see what happens. As with any anti-depressant, if you see no difference stick with it for 4 weeks to get over the adjustment hump.

Last edited:

JosephG

This interests me. Just made a thread about antidepressants actually if you want to have a look.
Not sure how available this stuff is in the UK but I might give it a try. I just hope it is safe.