5-HTP anyone...?

paintedblue

So i bought a bottle of 5-htp capsules, 100mg. It says 'Positive mood support, promotes relaxation.'

Has anyone taken this or heard of it? Does it really help with anxiety?

Nanita

I take it sometimes, but I haven´t been taking very high doses. I have a bottle of 50 mg capsules. So far I haven´t noticed changes in my mood or anxiety, however when I take them before sleep, I experience very vivid and almost lucid dreams, which is very exciting and entertaining.
I think maybe u need high doses to notice changes in anxiety or mood.

paintedblue

Yeah I havent noticed any changes in mood either. I take 100mg. I wonder if i double the dose if maybe i'd see a noticeable difference. But that's actually pretty cool about the lucid dreams haha wish i got that!

Ignace

I do notice I get more tired of it but mood improvements ? No, upping the dosage didn't work for me either.

I took it with L-theanine and a ton(daily intake) of coffee and felt something like the beginning tickle of an mdma high, but it just stopped there and plateaued(s/p). I could look people in the eyes and start conversations better. I liked it, but the same dose didnt continue working like that, and I kinda feel like my use of any of the natural stuff means I, for me, want drugs....Cause drugs make me feel very social. And that for some reason makes doctors not want to give me them.

btw-bill hicks is awesome

Last edited:

ryan2022

Try it cautiously.

I tried it, and found that it made my anxiety spike. Everyone is different though!

MotherWolff

Banned
So i bought a bottle of 5-htp capsules, 100mg. It says 'Positive mood support, promotes relaxation.'

Has anyone taken this or heard of it? Does it really help with anxiety?

YES! 5-HTP(5-Hydroxytryptophan) is the hormone that turns into seritonin(a hormone that helps you feel great :) )

Its best to take this at bedtime in combination with other herbs such as melatonin, valerian root, catnip, or kava kava.

Holiday

I currently use 5HTP. 5HTP is not a solution to serious depression, but if you just need a little help with the serotonin level in your brain, it's a great way to go.

uneasy

didn't do anything for me. But I heard it may help you sleep better if you take 150mg before sleep.

Stop burning your money on supplements. I have tried almost everything. Pure garbage. If it were real would not be legal. If i knew this before i would be a millionaire now.

grapevine

Yes I have used that on and off. It works but for me it doesn't work as good as GABA does. Which is also an amino acid- that promotes concentration focus and really slows your anxiety down. I use it all the time (Gaba)and it does work for me but I make sure that the brands that I get are legit quality. I also take Kava too at the same time if it's a high anxiety attack situation and that really helps me to relax and not think too much. But you can only take kava every now and then as your body can get used to small doses and it's not good for your liver.

Also changing my diet to high raw foods has helped me overcome social anxiety and depression more than anything - that is what has basically changed my life 10 fold for the better. And I make sure I have hemp seed oil every day in a salad as it's very high in the good fats for your brain.

A good book to read is Depression Free for Life - by Gabriel Cousens - he talks about diet and amino acids/ supplements and how they react to certain types of mental disorders. It's a good book.

sk112

5-HTP isn't recommended as it can cause serotonin syndrome if taken regularly (daily). I'm not a doctor but I wouldn't advise taking it more than once a week.
I did find that GABA supplements help with anxiety although there is very little proof however they at least aren't dangerous. I have been told that it is a placebo effect but I noticed a difference - placebo or not, it helped me. I would still suggest trying a GABA supplement first.
I do take 5-HTP on occasion but only in the mornings because it gives me bad nightmares but no one else seems to have that issue.