20 years old guy

aien89

Hi guys, so nice to be in this forum. I just discovered this site yesterday and I immediately joined in and have read a few topics now.

I'm delighted to be here as I recognize many of the things which people discuss in the topics.

I'm 20 years old and I suffer from SAD (as you call it) and I believe that I've suffered from it since I can remember.
I finished college last year and it was a very hard period for me because my teachers arranged so many presentations infront of the whole class. I always thought that I was just shy and that I would grow out of it but it never really happened. At college my SAD was tested almost everyday and it was a horrible time for me - even though I got some great friends.
After I finished college I just started on the university and I was so, so afraid to meet new people and even the presentation round where we just had to say our name I froze and it almost became physically impossible for me to speak because of a sort of blocking in my throat.

Anyway I just got fed up with it and I went to the doctor and he said that I have socialphobia and he just sent me to a psychiatrist. Now I've scheduled a three month period where I meet up twice a week with to psychiatrists and seven other people who suffers from fear of any kind. I'm very excited and I'm thinking positively about it.

I would maybe say that my SAD is smaller than many of yours but the important issue is that it is something which I have difficulties with during the daily life.

Here is my picture from December 2009:
capture20091219230544689.jpg

welcome! don;t worry about it.. you are still young, and psychs can help.. CBT? and u doing all those presentations proves u have the strength to fight this :)

AimeeSP

Welcome to SPW! Aw, you're such a strong person to continue on with your education while having social phobia. I admire that. :)

I hope your sessions with the psychiatrist help you. Will you be doing CBT? It's helped me alot. Good luck. :)

P.S You're very attractive.

Krista

Well I suppose that SA cares not about the package, you're very cute.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on how far you've come with it dear :)

Wow... Someone's popular! :p
Glad to see you've a positive enough attitude and that you're getting help. It doesn't matter how minor or major your SA, its still an inconvenience for ya, so best of luck on getting it cured! :)

Welcome to the forum Mr. Scandinavian dude! :)
(I'm dyin' ta go to Sweden or Finland..)

aien89

Many times thank you for welcomming me with open arms :)

And thank you for calling me strong, although I must admit that I've had some difficult battles where I wanted to quit, but luckily my family has supported me 100 % through the bad spells.

I'm still fighting - both for my "cure" and also for justice and acceptance of people like us.

And thank you for the comments, girls :) It's always nice to gain some confidence as well. Although I'm not at all superficial I do like to take care of my appearance through weightlifting and excersising. Maybe it's part of my SAD that I want people to look at me as well as possible. And by the way I'm not the appearance of a traditional Danish or Scandinavian dude :D I'm half Iranian :) Look at my big nose and big ears! Haha all Iranian! :p

Anyway can someone tell me what CBT is ? Is it a kind of treatment or medication ?

By the way I also read about your meeting in Ireland. It's a great initiative. How did it go and why in Ireland ? Is the majority here from Ireland ?

Last edited:
CBT is a therapy that ois most efficient in treating SA and many other diseases.. it consists of changing the way u think, exposing u to social events, whatever u area afraid of., It seems like u have the will.. Best of luck! :)

Many times thank you for welcomming me with open arms :)

And thank you for calling me strong, although I must admit that I've had some difficult battles where I wanted to quit, but luckily my family has supported me 100 % through the bad spells.

I'm still fighting - both for my "cure" and also for justice and acceptance of people like us.

And thank you for the comments, girls :) It's always nice to gain some confidence as well. Although I'm not at all superficial I do like to take care of my appearance through weightlifting and excersising. Maybe it's part of my SAD that I want people to look at me as well as possible. And by the way I'm not the appearance of a traditional Danish or Scandinavian dude :D I'm half Iranian :) Look at my big nose and big ears! Haha all Iranian! :p

Anyway can someone tell me what CBT is ? Is it a kind of treatment or medication ?

By the way I also read about your meeting in Ireland. It's a great initiative. How did it go and why in Ireland ? Is the majority here from Ireland ?

I think everyone with SA is strong - we put up with so much and are still here! Nobody else understands how hard it is and if they, for one day had to go through what a lot of us have went through in our lives, they wouldn't last a day!
You're lucky to have your family - only my grandmother knows - the rest probably would laugh at me if i said it to them...
CBT - Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is some form of treatment - I dont know how to explain this one but it helps you to change negative thoughts about yourself in order to improve.
The meetup went well - we're going to have another one though I don't know when!
The majority of us aren't from Ireland but we wanted to do somethin' with those of us who lived here. Maybe ye could do one in Denmark someday!

aien89

I think everyone with SA is strong - we put up with so much and are still here! Nobody else understands how hard it is and if they, for one day had to go through what a lot of us have went through in our lives, they wouldn't last a day!
You're lucky to have your family - only my grandmother knows - the rest probably would laugh at me if i said it to them...
CBT - Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is some form of treatment - I dont know how to explain this one but it helps you to change negative thoughts about yourself in order to improve.
The meetup went well - we're going to have another one though I don't know when!
The majority of us aren't from Ireland but we wanted to do somethin' with those of us who lived here. Maybe ye could do one in Denmark someday!
Well okay that's exacly the type of treatment I'm going to get once a week. So I assume you've been through that ? How did it go ?

What makes you believe that you family would laugh at you if you told them ? Communication is key to happiness and understanding :)

hey welcome to the forums, i hope you find it helpful here and meet some great people who can offer amazing support.

Well okay that's exacly the type of treatment I'm going to get once a week. So I assume you've been through that ? How did it go ?

What makes you believe that you family would laugh at you if you told them ? Communication is key to happiness and understanding :)

Nope i havent been through it yet. But a few people on here have.
Well, my family aren't the most understanding people in the world, and although i love my mother, her and my sister can be real judgemental - one of the reasons i HAD to get out of that house!