Zoloft

Almost

Yesterday I got prescribed Zoloft for my anxiety/depression.

I took one this morning and it just made me really tired and I yawned all day at school, but the doctor said it could take a while to get the actual effect. But should I take the pill before I go to bed, that way it would help me sleep and still be working the next day, or just take it in the morning and deal with the drowsiness?

50mg btw, in 2 weeks i'm going to see if I need more or not.

Noca

Banned
Zoloft is neutral in that its not supposed to be sedating or stimulating, but if it sedates you then go ahead and take it at bed.

Almost

I took it last night before bed and had a hard time falling asleep, then I woke up at 3:30 am and wasn't able to fall back asleep. o_O

Didn't seem to give me the sedating effect from yesterday, but the opposite.

jmroszczak

from what i hear for drugs like SSRI's too work properly..you are supposed to take them at the same time every time ..Since you are saying it is making you drowsy I would take them after you do your home work! LOL I was going to say after school but I wouldnt want the drowsyness too be an excuse for you not too do that! ::p:

ForeverBlue2

I used Zoloft for about 5 weeks a few years ago and the only side effect I noticed was sexually. Plus when I came off I had major travel sickness. I get it usually if there is a bad bus driver but for a couple of weeks I had it bad even with good drivers. I think it takes about 5 weeks to get into your system properly so I would be surprised if you were getting side effects already. Although everyone is different and responds differently to medication.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

In the first week that I took Zoloft, I remember at first it made me feel worse, emotionally, and physically there were times when I couldn't settle down and my body had sudden urges to move constantly. So rather the opposite of drowsiness.
Because I'm supposed to take it at the same time every day, and I'm not supposed to stop taking it suddenly, I stopped taking it for good. Simply because I kept forgetting to take it. *Sigh*

Enialis227

The drowsiness might go away, or it might not. If you think it is going to be a problem go ahead and start taking it at night. Also, the insomnia thing you got when you suddenly switched from morning to night happened to me when I played around with the timing of Paxil, so it is probably normal.
Don't stop taking it, keep at it, weather through the side effects until you have given it enough time to work, then evaluate.

DillJenkins

I have much experience with SSRI's and antidepressant meds.

Take the Zoloft at the same time each day for your body to have constant levels in your system.

SSRI's usually make people worse for aboot 2-3 weeks whilst the body adjusts to the medication and side effects. This is normal for most everyone. Your doctor could give you a benzo like Xanax or Klonopin to deal with side effects and to help panic attacks if you have them.

The benefit usually comes between the 4-6 week mark. Make sure you stay on it long enough to see if it will work unless the side effects are unbearable.

If it makes you tired than take it aboot 1-2 hours before bed. Sometimes SSRI's can interrupt the sleep cycle and make you wake up many times or have strange dreams. Sometimes they just really sedate you and make you sleep great. Its different for everyone.

jmroszczak

I just got prescribed zoloft (50mg) I will report back with my results. im going to take a half pill for the first 5 days then increase to full pills. I will be taking it in the morning

Almost

I just got prescribed zoloft (50mg) I will report back with my results. im going to take a half pill for the first 5 days then increase to full pills. I will be taking it in the morning

Good luck, I had taken it for two months and my prescription ran out, my dad won't take me back to the doctor although I guess I don't mind since I never felt any effects from it at all.

I hope it works for you.

Square_Eyes

Good luck, I had taken it for two months and my prescription ran out, my dad won't take me back to the doctor although I guess I don't mind since I never felt any effects from it at all.

Despite gaining no positive effects whatsoever from a daily dose of 100mg, I had a horrible time coming off Sertraline. I experienced what are commonly described as 'brain zaps.' Very unpleasant. I stopped taking the stuff over sixth months ago now and I still get the occasional 'zap.'

Almost

Despite gaining no positive effects whatsoever from a daily dose of 100mg, I had a horrible time coming off Sertraline. I experienced what are commonly described as 'brain zaps.' Very unpleasant. I stopped taking the stuff over sixth months ago now and I still get the occasional 'zap.'

What exactly are "brain zaps?". I've been having this thing lately where my vision instantly shifts down about 30-40 degrees and then moves back up very quickly, not sure exactly how to describe it. I don't know if it's from coming off of zoloft or what, but it just happens randomly, but only maybe once a week.

Square_Eyes

Yep, that'll be the Zoloft. That was just one of a number ways in which discontinuing the drug effected me. Brain zaps are notoriously difficult to describe.

Wikipedia says:

“Symptoms described as "brain*zaps", "brain*shocks," "brain*shivers" or "head shocks" are a*withdrawal*symptom experienced during discontinuation (or reduction of dose) of antidepressant drugs.*The symptoms are widely variable in description and of unknown etiology; common descriptions include dizziness, electric shock-like sensations, sweating, nausea, insomnia, tremor, confusion, and*vertigo."

I'd advise that you go back to your doctor and ask for some 25mg doses. Stopping any anti-depressant suddenly is a bad idea.

Almost

Yep, that'll be the Zoloft. That was just one of a number ways in which discontinuing the drug effected me. Brain zaps are notoriously difficult to describe.

Wikipedia says:

“Symptoms described as "brain*zaps", "brain*shocks," "brain*shivers" or "head shocks" are a*withdrawal*symptom experienced during discontinuation (or reduction of dose) of antidepressant drugs.*The symptoms are widely variable in description and of unknown etiology; common descriptions include dizziness, electric shock-like sensations, sweating, nausea, insomnia, tremor, confusion, and*vertigo."

I'd advise that you go back to your doctor and ask for some 25mg doses. Stopping any anti-depressant suddenly is a bad idea.

Hmm, yeah I've also been having pulses of lightheadedness which I guess would also be contributed to the drug. It's not really unbearable or anything though, and my dad won't take me back to the doctor anyways so I guess i'll just wait it out.

jmroszczak

I hope it works for you.

thanks man..I am also taking Klonopin(.5mg) once a day too...I think the klonopin is really what has been getting me out of my comfort zone the most..but unfortunately the doc only gave me 30 pills so I am going to ask him to increase it 90 pills or up the dose. That way i will have more pills if i ever feel I Want to go somewhere and don't have to worry about getting an attack.

jmroszczak

Ok after almost a month of being on zoloft(50mg) what I found is that it allows me to make phone calls with out getting a anxiety attack...Also I believe i can handle mild social interaction with it and I think it is what has been keeping me going out in the day time with no issues(the klonopin is what started me going out in the day time). I haven't tested it in a situation like say going to a therapist/doc appointment..I wanted to the last time i had one but in the end i chickened out and took the klonopin. I felt if i have the klonopin as a tool to get me through something like that without any anxiety which so ever..Might as well use it. It turned out to be the right choice because after about almost an hour of being on the Klonopin I was still nervous in the parking lot..but it soon went away and i was able to get through the whole appointment without any hiccups..I felt "normal".

antipop621

Bit of a quiet thread, but I'll post my story anyway.

I was recently prescribed zoloft to treat a mild form of OCD I seem to have. Its mostly just obsessive thoughts about a girl/co-worker I used to like. The obsession won't go away even though I have a girlfriend now. The obsession is both sexual and professional (like I have to compete with her).

So I've been on 200mg for about a week now. I wake up more during the night feeling very anxious with very powerful thoughts about this person. Other than that the only other side-effects have been sexual.

I'm just waiting patiently for the stuff to kick in. Anyone ever taken Zoloft for OCD?