You don't have to be perfect!

Carol

We're all perfectionists! That's the root of our problem (according to a great book I've been reading about SA). We're afraid it will be the end of the world if we ever make a mistake in public. No wonder we're so nervous... we've set the standard so high that nobody can reach it! Everybody makes social mistakes from time to time. The truth is, most people can handle it when we mess up, and don't judge us half as harshly as we judge ourselves. Even if they do judge us, well, so what? Nobody is liked by everyone 100% of the time. So relax! You don't have to be perfect. Nobody around you is perfect either, so you're in good company. :)

Hi, Im social phobic and I worry about upsetting other people or offending them. I also have obsessive thoughts and ideas so it makes for alot of anxiety. The only way to never do any thing wrong or make a mistake is to hide in your room, so that is what I tell myself alot. From Joanne

Fairy001

I guess the anxiety is rooted in an inability to accept you are socially imperfect. At some point we all make ourselves look a prat.

Peace

I think I am afraid of being like everybody else because I know I will come up short in some aspect. I feel guilty becaouse I wont except my self and the way I look. I am afraid to see what I "relly" look like in the mirror. I was told I would be afraid that I am real. Does anyone else have this problem? Thank You all for reading. From Joanne

Carol

Yes, I have a problem accepting that I am a real person who's going to make mistakes sometimes and that's just the way it goes. I don't think I ever consciously realized that I was expecting perfection from myself until I read that book. I've been doing much better these last few days because I'm finally learning to lighten up.

Joanne, even if you do accidentally offend or upset someone, most of the time it's probably not as big of a deal as you think it is. Most people won't hold a grudge forever over something minor.