Yay happy thoughts...

Gone

Does anyone have any experience taking anti-deppressents? What kind of effect did it have on you? Did it work?

I used take Prozac when I was 16. I really didn't like it. Prozac didn't do anything for me except kinda make me a zombie.
Good luck though and feel better.

Gone

I kinda like the guy but even i find that picture annoying, thats why i like it.

Chod77 said:
I used take Prozac when I was 16. I really didn't like it. Prozac didn't do anything for me except kinda make me a zombie.

What do you mean by it makes you a zombie? It makes you dull and emotionless?

I just got put on a med today called "Cymbalta". Not sure what it's gonna do but I'll post back here in a week or so with an update :)

recluse

I'm on Citalopram. It's not too bad once you get used to it. It kind of makes me feel like i've had a beer, not drunk but merry.

Roads

Like Recluse I take citalopram(celexa) every day. And yeah, it makes me pretty buzzed most of the time.

Most days it makes me feel like I've had a few drinks or a few bong hits.

Not drunk, not stoned, just buzzed. Nice and giddy and generally upbeat and happy. You're senses get a slight increase and you get that feeling like you've just smoked some weed and your eyes are expanding in your eye sockets. It also helps me sleep really well. It got me out of my depression almost completely and opened my mind to trying mind-altering substances; I think it's a good drug, and I'd recommend it.

Only bad side effect is that it takes twice the effort to reach orgasm during sex, which really isn't that bad.

Gone

Roads said:
Like Recluse I take citalopram(celexa) every day. And yeah, it makes me pretty buzzed most of the time.

Most days it makes me feel like I've had a few drinks or a few bong hits.

Not drunk, not stoned, just buzzed. Nice and giddy and generally upbeat and happy. You're senses get a slight increase and you get that feeling like you've just smoked some weed and your eyes are expanding in your eye sockets. It also helps me sleep really well. It got me out of my depression almost completely and opened my mind to trying mind-altering substances; I think it's a good drug, and I'd recommend it.

Jikes i think that sounded pretty extreme, senses gain a slight increase? I would think that it would decrease? Does it affect your movement skills? Like would you be able to walk in a straight line? Is citalopram considered to be one of the more extreme meds? Or is that the effect they are supposed to have? How does it affect you when you are depressed? If you even get depressed at all?

Sorry that was a lot of questions, im really curious about this stuff and im kinda scared of the effect it will have on me, ive never taken any medication for anything for as long as i can remember so its really alien to me.

Roads said:
Only bad side effect is that it takes twice the effort to reach orgasm during sex, which really isn't that bad.
Wow, well im sure that won't be a problem in my case :lol:

I asked my theraphist about medication and she's talking to her boss about it, she told me i would be put on something within a couple of weeks but didn't say much about what i would get or the effects it would have. We are supposed to have a conversation about it before i get the meds but im not really sure if i fully trust what she sais, specialy since it seems to have different effects on different people.

I think i have more questions but il post them later when i remember what they are haha.

Edit : Yeah, whoever found a med that worked for you, did you have to try out alot of different stuff to find something that worked? What was wrong with the first meds? Someone mentioned it made her feel like a zombie, thats something ive heard before, considering i allready feel like a zombie sometimes it makes me nervous.

cheesejoose

I take generic venlafaxine (Effexor), which is a pain in the butt because I have to remember to take it twice a day instead of just once, like I did when I had samples of the regular. I don't get a buzzed feeling like everyone else; it just helps me be able to concentrate, and shuts all the negative voices in my head up for a while. When I forget to take it, I notice within a couple hours, because I start getting a bit of a headache, and super super irritable.

I tried one other depression medicine before that, I think it was lexapro. It did kind of make me feel buzzed! I just stopped taking all meds for months, until I nearly got into two car wrecks because of my inability to concentrate! Hopefully you are not at that level!

StonedBob

I have been taking citalopram since December and I must say it's pretty efficient : I feel less depressed, more optimistic about my future, I have less suicidal thoughts.

About the side effects : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citalopram#Side_effects_and_drug_interactions
I know all these possible side effects look scary :D , but actually everybody reacts differently to these meds. The only side effect I had was having my mouth completely dry during the first week. Oh, and I felt also a lot of anxiety the first 2 weeks for no reason, but it seems that this is normal, that it's the sign that the medicine is working. I still have this problem of anxiety everytime I increase the dosage (fellowing the instructions of my psychiatrist), but it's just lasting for 2/3 days.

Anyway, for every anti-deppressents you will have possible side effects.
The best you can do is to tell your psychiatrist about all the side effects you have and he will decide if you have to take an other medicine or if you can continue with the one you're taking.
Also remember that all anti-deppressents are not immediatly effective. You generally have to wait a few weeks before feeling better (but maybe you already know it).

Anyway, I hope what I wrote is understandable and helpful.

JonnyD_

amitriplin , or something like this, my mother takes it and its very mild, i't made me very very sleeeeepy *YAWN*

Gone

Thanks for the advise, ive been reading up on wikipedia but it doesn't explain everything im wondering about, you have been very usefull and keep posting.

Roads

Gone:

The easiest to explain this is that celexa is a selective seratonin reuptake inhibitor (same as prozac, lexapro, paxil etc). Minus the scientific mumbojumbo, taking the drug basically results in a much higher level of seratonin in your brain; one of the many chemicals that control your mood/level of general happiness. The half life of Celexa in the human body is like 30 to 70 hours, so as you take it on a 24 hour/daily basis, the levels of seratonin in your brain are slowly raised, making you feel happier and less depressed.

Many recreational drugs have similar but more extreme effects. Methylenedioxy-methylamphetime (ecstasy) also causes seratonin levels in the brain to surge, resulting in feelings of happiness, pleasure and bliss.

Yes you can walk in a straight line lol. You can function perfectly normally, you will simply feel happy for no explicit reason.

As others have said, everyone reacts differently to different medications. After a week of taking it you could feel high as kite, happy and care free, or you could feel nothing at all.

I used to take Zoloft and it did absolutely nothing for me. But Lexapro and Celexa have both helped me feel awesome all day long for a while now.

Lexmark

freestylemonster said:
Chod77 said:

What do you mean by it makes you a zombie? It makes you dull and emotionless?

I just got put on a med today called "Cymbalta". Not sure what it's gonna do but I'll post back here in a week or so with an update :)

I was on that 2 for a while
Stoped taking coz i want to loose weight
ill start again soon i got the prescription still
Also you wont notice anything in a week giv it a month or so
I tried so many AD and they never do anything but give me cool dreams
Im gonna keep trying till i find one that works