Wrong Impression

dan_e

I feel like people have gotten the wrong impression of me due to anxiety. What to them probably seemed like a brush off was actually my severe anxiety. When they would invite me out I didn't answer or mumbled. Looking back they probably felt bad and thought I was ignoring them. Now they no longer ask. I've been doing better and I want them to feel comfortable around me and start asking me out again.
What should I do?
(I'm around them at work but they still haven't asked anymore.)
Its so lonely to have these issues and no one knows about it. I want to scream 'Help! I don't have any friends and its driving me crazy!'
No friends=anxiety=no friends. Please help.

Len

You could also say.

"Hi Guys. Apologies for giving you the brush off recently but I have been having a few issues to contend with. I am really keen to come out with you guys again so how about we go and play some pool at the weekend...etc..."

If they are real friends then they might even ask you what is going on. You could say that you are going through a rough time 'psychologically' and that you are coming out of it and that it's good to have friends to take the edge off.

I have contacted friends after giving them the brush off and its a bit awkward at first but if they are decent people then they will forgive you. Friends come and go but real friends stay.

elProscrito

RedRibbons said:
Ask them if they want to hang out.

that's a really good idea.
and tell them you've had a hard time recently, didn't feel like partying and going out. i think they'll understand.

dan_e

Whenever I've asked people to hang out they said no and seem to be uncomfortable around me from that point on. Makes me paranoid to ask anyone. Actually, I'm petrified. (I haven't tried asking my new acquaintances much).
If I say too much about my anxiety I'm afraid they will start to treat me odd or it will creep them out and make me even more unattractive as a friend.
Thanks for your help. I will try to work this into conversation.

dan_e

well I tried asking them so we'll see what happens.......I'll be disappointed if they say no and terrified if they say yes :wink: