Would a UK doc prescribe something for anxiety?

nightcrawler

I've got/had a couple of big social events this year. I've gone to a few of the smaller ones, though have just blown out a bigger one which I feel a bit bad about. Anyway I still have another big party later in the year to which I've been invited. If I went to my doctor and explain my social anxiety issues is he likely to precribe anything for me, and if so what? I don't drink, so if I can find another way of relaxing before such an event I may be able to actually attend.

Freeflex

I'm not a doctor nor an expert in Chemistry, so I don't know what he or she would prescribe you. However, you might find this useful?

Explore the options with your doctor.

Remus

Staff member
Doc in the UK usually prescribe lighter meds for SA if anything, they usually give you SSRI's and refer you to a therapist for CBT

musicbuffuk

I went to see my gp about my social anixity and straight away she prescribed Fluroxatine. It worked for a while but then I started to get delusions.
I know many people on sertiline and find it very affective for anixity all though it didn't work for me.
If you explain about your anixity I'm sure that they would perscribe you some meds. And also probably refer you to psycholgist. It's best to keep in mind that meds don't always work for everyone.

Bones

When i went to the Doc he was all too ready to prescribe and get me outta there, but i explained that I don't tend to get all that anxious and that it wasn't top priority for me, i know some people this is the worst thing, but its not for me. Anyway after this he told me to just "try harder and be brave" and then sent me out... shoulda took the pills really.
erm... so yeah they'll probs prescribe something.

The LostOne

When I went he put me straight on prozac and put me up for some exposure therapy, after a month or so he put me on citalapram instead.
The meds did nothing for me but the therapy has really helped.

Doc in the UK usually prescribe lighter meds for SA if anything, they usually give you SSRI's and refer you to a therapist for CBT

The same in Holland. CBT is one of the most effective method to overcome SA. Soon I'll be taking SSRI's too, the neurotransmittors are very helpful, for depression, 'cuz it makes you feel more positive (serotonine), it makes you feel less anxious in social situations, Wikipedia link:Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaIt's very interesting :). I think it's better than Anti depressivants, cuz those have lots of side effects. SSRI'S depends, which one you will get prescribed to. But my psych told me SSRI'S are the most effective meds to threat social anxiety. And xanax is the most effective medicine to use when you go to a big social event, to reduce your anxiety. :)

Btw, You could also bring own ideas to your doctor, Like tell him about meds you would like to try, because you want to reduce your anxiety.
(tell your doc about your situation, he will understand , i think:))

I tried different meds, Oxazepam & xanax are the best for me.
5 HTP made me feel a lot of positivity too. (it's homeopathic)

Good luck =]

Last edited:
I got given something called 'Propranolol,' which was intended for my HH, though it's supposed to get rid of other symptoms of anxiety, too. It is quite helpful; think I read somewhere that musicians use it before a big performance....

richy

The nhs doc put me on fluxotine or something and I couldn't handle the sides so I ditched it and the doc's advice. I wanted the depenyl patch but she wouldn't give it and got quite angry for me asking; I don't think she believed me because it's perhaps rare for a lawyer to have social anxiety. Now I'm self medicating, have no idea what I'm doing:

Bacopa, piracetam, choline, alcar, lions mane mushroom on waking
Later on st johns wort
Then a bit later a multi vitamin and salmon oil capsule