Worried..........

grimaldi

The weather starts to cool off even in Hong Kong, but my HH gets worse. The last two weeks I started to get constant clammy hands, which never happened before. (I have generalized HH) Did this ever happened to anyone? If so, did it disappear?

Over all the sweating also got worse, and for 2-3 consecutive nights I have been sweating in bed even though AC is on and I do not use blanket. On my side is my girlfriend, wrapped up in the blanket, complaining that it's to cold. I sweat through the shirt quite easy by just sitting here and typing, even though it's 22-23 in the room.

I don't know what's up. I am 26 (on Saturday) and I don't understand why things get worse now. Maybe it's because I feel very stressed due to the fact that I have a couple of presentations coming up in university this week. But still, my body is ****ing burning this is ridiculous.

Today me and three classmates were supposed to have a karaoke session because we all have birthday this week. I pulled out in the last hours, just feeling anxiety/blushing/palpitation/sweating/trembling would make a fool of me if I grabbed the mic. Some 20 guys from my class is there right now, celebrating me, but I didn't dare to show up.

I don't know how much longer it's possible to keep on like this. I can't let go of the ETS-thought even though I know it can make things worse.

I am just sick of being a walking bag of nerves.

Just wanted to get it out.

Jezza

Hey,

If the nerves are bothering you, you might consider taking beta blocker or benzodiazepines (on an as needed basis). This won't in my experience (with beta blockers) eliminate the sweating, but I guess it takes the edge off in terms of nerves and maybe diminishes the sweating a little.

Also, I would try as much as possible to still engage in enough social activities, especially parties like a birthday. I mean I've been there and done that, but in the end it always feels worse to skip one than to give some of your friends a sweaty handshake. And I think it's somewhat of a slippery slope (obviously no pun intended)...when you start avoiding things, where does it end...Every flaming time I go to a birthday or worse yet have one I dread shaking hands but in the end I'm still glad and even have some fun here and there at parties and I'm sitting at home annoyed by myself if I skip one.

This HH just sucks bigtime, I think my HH is pretty much the same as yours. I'm 24. I've noticed with the colder weather that when outside my palms tend to be ok a lot of the times. When I'm inside though, it's the same old story...I don't think that at this point it really gets worse or better, so I hope it's maybe down to some of your anxiety so hopefully it will fade again.

Last edited:

grimaldi

I have tried a lot of treatments and among those also beta blockers and Xanax. I have Inderal and some Chinese Propanolol in my locker just here beside me. I use to take some before a presentation or social event, and it helps somewhat with the nervousness but do little for the sweating, just as you said. I try to take those as seldom as possible, because they make me tired as hell. If I take many, after the event, I just crash on my bed and sleep forever. Also obviously a lot of social activities includes alcohol, and that makes the side effects even worse. Quite scary, actually.

The hands is one of my least problems. It's possible to wipe them right. Worse is "the rush" from "flight or fight" which results in generalized sweating, blushing and palpitation.

I really hope for the science to do something soon. What am I paying my taxes for? I was in contact with Dr. Telaranta earlier this year, and he is obviously developing a new "ETS-method" which does not include surgery but instead something with magnetism. He mentioned it very vague because it's still kind of secret I guess.

Still that means the surgeons understand ETS is not safe, but there is still money in the business, so they are in midst of developing something else.

Let's cross fingers.

Nicholas

Jesus. Your HH seems to be pretty bad. I am always complaining and depressed, but I don't think mine is as bad as yours... I usually don't sweat if it's under 23 (celsius) = 73 (fahrenheit), and if it gets colder I feel cold and put on a sweater. But I'm very worried as well, because it's getting worse (my butt's been sweating excessively for some months already), and I don't know how bad it can get, and when. I'm 25 now.
Just a question: when you are sweating, do you always feel hot, or not? If you feel cold, can you sweat anyway? I can't, but I still can sweat even if I feel "normal", especially when I'm nervous/anxious or I do physical activity. There seems to be a threshold, as soon as it's warm enough (and if it's humid it's worse), I sweat like "exponentially". But under that threshold, if I'm comfortable, I don't sweat.
Anyway, I see you manage to go to university, and you even have a girlfriend, so you've been doing good, much better than me for sure.

Felipe

grimaldi,

Have you tried Robinul (Avert, glycopirrolate)? I was wondering: if you get dry with it, you'll probably feel more relaxed, right?

grimaldi

I always feel hot when I sweat. If I am in a cold (20 degrees) environment and start to sweat due to anxiety, the sweating will come together with a hot rush/palpitation, and often even slight blushing of the face and area around neck. The exception is my feet (and lately my hands), that for some reason always sweat in a COLD environment - especially if it's a classroom/canteen etc with people = nervous environment. My feet and hands can be cold and sweaty at the same time, but rest of body usually are not.

I have always had a driven personally, with can also be a result of my CNS disorder. I am a perfectionist, always making up my social incompetence with reading, high test scores, downright brilliant essays and so on. I am extremely aware of how I dress and look, and a manic eye for details. I think a lot of people would view me as successful, but on the inside I am totally broken down and just want to cry. A total nutcase and a potentially dangerous character, actually.

My girlfriend know about my sweating - I can't hide it from her - but she is unaware of blushing/palpitation/anxiety. I never bring her to social events, instead I go on "we have to have our friends blabla". I can't understand why she hangs on to me.

Anyway, I now study Journalism which is rather practical, and I live in one of the humid city's on earth. Given that, my state is now worse than ever. I will contact Telaranta again soon to see about this "new" method, or eventually think about clamping T4, which seem to at least somewhat decrease risk for CS. Even if I get some CS my life would then probably change to the better because of blushing/palpitation/anxiety relief.

Jesus I don't know.

Jezza

Hmm...

With me I always feel a rush going through my body, coupled with some warmth but then afterwards I pretty soon get cold again, while still sweating like hell. In fact I don't really notice that much when I'm in a hot room. I'll sweat like crazy, yes, but I don't actually experience the heat as such and I don't think for the sweating it would matter that much whether it's 20*C or close to 30. For instance I was at a party last weekend and several people told me like darn, it's hot in here (not in a 'Nelly' type of way) but I hadn't really noticed...And still couldn't tell even after they told me...

However, at one of my friends' birthdays a while ago I was sitting in the living room, and a couple of meters away from me a door was open to the outside. As usual, sweating like hell, however, then the evening falls, it cools off outside (maybe just a couple of degrees) and I'm now so cold I'm freaking shivering, while still sweating...Usually when I'm really cold the sweating goes away a lot (except for my hands and feet if I'm engaged in something) but this time it didn't...really weird and uncomfortable. Of course I didn't tell anyone at the party I was freakin cold though...

Also when I touch other people it almost always feels to me like they are mega warm, like burning. I know it's just me being cold though.

Cold blood runs through my veins I guess, but it makes me sweat like a turkey a day before Christmas.

I recognise a lot of those character characteristics you mention btw...That is, I used to be one of those overachievers, I guess when I was about 13/14 it seemed like I had everything I could possibly wish for in terms of talents, although I didn't realize it at the time of course, if you don't know any better you always assume you're not doing anything special, but then over the years (and partly because of my changed prospects because of the HH getting worse over the years) I kind of softened a little and let it go. I sometimes regret that but then again, it is what it is...Now I'm pretty much your average business student who sweats a lot...

Ah well, if only I can get the HH under control I could have a fulfilling life.

Last edited: