Worried about College.

Koime

So I am in my last year of high school and as everyone knows this is when "shiz gets real". It feels like everyone has more figured out than I do, although even if they don't it seems like they catch on easier and will probably be able to get a job and stuff like that much easier than I could. I don't know anything about scholarships, but I think I know what I want to go to college for (Software Application Development) and I found a college online the other day that has an online program (I want to do college online so I won't have to stress over flexibility or anything. Plus yeah. Take a guess why I would want to do that..). Anyway, It has an online program for the type of degree I want, and I signed up for information on the degree hoping maybe I'd get an email or something, but instead I got a missed call and a voice mail wanting me to call them back. I've gotten 3 missed calls now and 2 voice mails from different people. I can't talk on the phone and have a low voice, and I don't know what kind of things I would say or ask. I'm nervous about what they might think of me since you're supposed to be very professional it feels like in this situation and I don't ever feel professional because I'm scared and just feel dumb. I also got a text saying that they could contact me through email (I think that's what they meant) and I really just want to do that, but I'm not sure. I just get really scared that they are going to want to call and then I'm just going to freak out. I know about the classes I would take and a little about this college but I feel like if I talk to them I might ask some stupid questions just trying to make conversation or something. Has anyone else had problems like this ? Maybe not with college but with anything similar. It's really bugging me Dx

Luka

That sounds really scary. I think you should email them because If I were in your position I'd be terrified to call them. You could mention how you got their voice mail and just ask questions but not be too demanding if that makes sense? Idk I'm not really good with these kinds of things but good luck! ^^

Koime

That sounds really scary. I think you should email them because If I were in your position I'd be terrified to call them. You could mention how you got their voice mail and just ask questions but not be too demanding if that makes sense? Idk I'm not really good with these kinds of things but good luck! ^^

Yes, it is very scary T 3 T
I think I will email them, and maybe think of some questions to ask so they can reply back or if they really want to make me talk to them, I'll at least have a set of questions ready for them to answer.
Also I noticed your picture is Laputa. Ghibli movies are great~

Luka

Yes, it is very scary T 3 T
I think I will email them, and maybe think of some questions to ask so they can reply back or if they really want to make me talk to them, I'll at least have a set of questions ready for them to answer.
Also I noticed your picture is Laputa. Ghibli movies are great~

Yeah, I think they'll be impressed if you shower them with questions because you'll seem really interested and stuff ^^
Yay! Another Ghibli fan :)

laure15

Are you doing this at a private online college like the University of Phoenix? I generally don't trust for-profit schools and almost got ripped off by one of them. And some of these for-profit schools may not be accreditated (or are partially accredited) and are more expensive than public schools.Moreover, their tuition (plus fees) costs way more than tuition at public schools. And the financial aid (I'm talking about free aid like grants, not loans) usually doesn't cover much. When I applied for financial aid at a for-profit college, they gave me only Pell Grants (which is around $2500 per semester). The rest of the money is paid for by government loans, so I immediately dropped out in the first 2 days of class. If I had stuck to the program, I would be $30-$40K in debt, which believe me is not a position you want to be in.

I would highly advise you to take caution when it comes to dealing with online, for profit colleges. Universities such as Stanford and MIT have taken the initiative to provide free courses online. Here are some websites which you may find useful:

Udacity | Free Online Courses. Advance your College Education & Career
https://www.coursera.org/
https://www.edx.org/

Good luck!

Koime

Yeah, I think they'll be impressed if you shower them with questions because you'll seem really interested and stuff ^^
Yay! Another Ghibli fan :)

Hopefully they were Dx I don't think they've emailed me back since Thanksgiving was just a couple days ago but I haven't checked yet today.

Are you doing this at a private online college like the University of Phoenix? I generally don't trust for-profit schools and almost got ripped off by one of them. And some of these for-profit schools may not be accreditated (or are partially accredited) and are more expensive than public schools.Moreover, their tuition (plus fees) costs way more than tuition at public schools. And the financial aid (I'm talking about free aid like grants, not loans) usually doesn't cover much. When I applied for financial aid at a for-profit college, they gave me only Pell Grants (which is around $2500 per semester). The rest of the money is paid for by government loans, so I immediately dropped out in the first 2 days of class. If I had stuck to the program, I would be $30-$40K in debt, which believe me is not a position you want to be in.

I would highly advise you to take caution when it comes to dealing with online, for profit colleges. Universities such as Stanford and MIT have taken the initiative to provide free courses online. Here are some websites which you may find useful:

Udacity | Free Online Courses. Advance your College Education & Career
https://www.coursera.org/
https://www.edx.org/

Good luck!

Thank you for the links, and it says that this college is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association? Hurr.. I don't know much about accreditation Tu T
Hopefully I don't land myself in a horrible situation.