Workplace

dottie

One of my bosses is a jerk. I feel like he picks on me. I already posted the other day about how he likes to make me blush everyday.

Recap: so the other day he said it is his goal everyday to get me to blush, how it is so easy. He laughed at me and got my coworkers to look at me while I was red and it was just embarrassing. He said they were going to nickname me "Red." I tried to laugh and be a good sport about it but really it was embarrassing. A few minutes later I was standing with another coworker and as he was leaving he commented, "It was nice not working with you!" (because he just finished his shift and we had just began our shifts). I didn't get his joke at first and looked at him as I was trying to register it (duh, I know). He gave me this ugly face and said, "It was a joke!!!" OK but it wasn't funny.

So, the next day he told me that he would spare making me blush. (HOW GENEROUS OF YOU, ASSHOLE) Then when I left that day he made a big deal to say, "It was a pleasure working with you!!" It was like he was trying to patronize/insult me by saying the exact opposite thing as the day before.

Today, when I was totally swamped he made fun of me, he mocked me saying, "Look, what do I do next? What should I do?" in a crybaby voice and laughed at me because I looked stressed out. My coworker (who is a nice guy) said, "What are you trying to do, scare her?" Seriously, he is a manager and for him to make fun of me like that was totally unprofessional.

He is such a jerk but he does it in a roundabout way like he is joking so it makes it OK. I hate working with him if he is around. I don't know if this would be considered bullying, I really don't, but his presence and comments stress me out. He is supposed to be a team leader but his interaction does not feel supportive at all. This is a very stressful job for me because it is such a social environment and yet he makes it even more stressful.

Someone told me to tell him to stop but I am afraid to call him on it. I don't know if I am just being overly sensitive. I am afraid to simply say, "Stop." I don't know what else I would say after that and I am so afraid of confrontation- not to mention the fact that he is tall and HUGE. Plus I am afraid of losing my job because of it. I don't know what to think of it. I try not to let it bother me but it does because I hate being there when he is there.

You're right. he's unprofessional. Start logging what he says and when he says it. When you've gathered a list of inappropriate behavior take it to him or to his boss or maybe even to human resources. You are there to work not to be harassed.

jayo

Complain to a higher power

If this makes you uncomfortable it is bullying and harassment.
Have a word with someone in a senior position and this will stop.
Else it will continue - he's having far too much fun for this to stop now.

SilentStranger

As others have said he is definitely being unprofessional. I don't know how bigger organisation you work for, but some have guidelines on what is considered bullying etc and what you can do. Maybe its on the company intranet or on books/forms you got when you joined. You can also contact HR. Failing that, I am sure your state and federal government agency in charge of work conditions might have guides and might show you what you can do about your problem at work.

-SS