Worked as a cashier?

jryden

Anyone here with SA who has worked as a cashier before? What was your experience?

That's what I am doing right now and its really not that bad. I only get nervous when the line gets really long which will happen next week because thats when school starts (this is at a college bookstore). Also if I get asked questions that I can't answer and I keep telling customers I don't know lol

Anyway, as long as I know what I am doing, its not as bad as I though it was.
I prefer the customers that pay with credit and debit cards because with cash, my fingers start shaking when I am counting it. And when handing them back the money, especially change, is so awkward. I'm not sure if I should count it back to them. :kickingmyself:

Also, saying hi and bye is so awkward for me. It seems so fake and I don't want to do it but everyone else does so I try. I don't make conversations though, when they are waiting.

I DON'T CARE HOW YOUR DAY IS GOING!!! :bigsmile:

chocolate

That's what I'm doing too right now =D you're right, it really isn't that bad, and I think it has helped a lot with my one on one interactions with people. You should try to answer the questions people have, they appreciate it a lot.

It's interesting that you prefer when people pay with credit/debit, because I actually prefer they pay with cash :p that way I'm not standing there awkwardly while the transaction goes through. It's not too bad though, our machine is fast.

Hmmm, hi and bye. Just say "hello!" and smile, ring their stuff through, then when they're leaving the desk say "have a nice day." "How are you" is not in my vocabulary while I'm working >_>

jryden

That's what I'm doing too right now =D you're right, it really isn't that bad, and I think it has helped a lot with my one on one interactions with people. You should try to answer the questions people have, they appreciate it a lot.

It's interesting that you prefer when people pay with credit/debit, because I actually prefer they pay with cash :p that way I'm not standing there awkwardly while the transaction goes through. It's not too bad though, our machine is fast.

Hmmm, hi and bye. Just say "hello!" and smile, ring their stuff through, then when they're leaving the desk say "have a nice day." "How are you" is not in my vocabulary while I'm working >_>

haha yea saying "how are you" is just too long for me lol. I won't bother.
No I really hate the cash transactions. They stand there while I try to count their money and then I dont count it back bc I want them gone asap.
CC and DB are really the best. Swipe, receipt pops out a few secs later and they sign if necessary and bye.

I wouldn't say it has improved my one-on-one interactions bc even before I could talk to 1/2 ppl the same way. I have to try and speak a little louder. I have a very quiet/shy voice.

Lamb

I've worked as a cashier. I must say, I do not enjoy it.

Actively searching for a job now, so if I had no choice- I'd do it again.

It's not as bad as I anticipated when I first started, but the anxiety of messing up somebody's change, or having a difficult customer still creeps in.

In the retail store I use to work at, there were also scammers who would try to talk to you while you were counting change or looking at a receipt to distract you from the transaction. I was lacking the balls to tell them "I'm sorry but I want to make sure I get your return right so I'll have to ask that you give me a minute to look this over".

Not trying to scare you guys or anything. :giggle: I also never counted their change back. I could only do that in my head. *thinks*

Math is eviiil!